MD & DO Chances with BS/MS degree and somewhat average uGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

landroverdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm currently in my last year of pursuing my BS/MS degree. This leaves me with ~3.5 years of research, two pubs, and two conferences. My MCAT is a 509 and uGPA is a 3.6 (sGPA is about the same, but 4.0 in all undergrad courses relevant to my MS degree), however. I understand that my stats are fairly average for applicants to med school, so I was wondering about my chances at NC schools, specifically if I am a NC resident. I will be a non-traditional student, so being able to pay less in tuition at UNC, for example, would be very beneficial to me as my parents are not likely to help with tuition, living expenses, etc.

ECs: I have decent volunteer experience at a free clinic (2.5 years) and shadowed doctors in various specialties (~80 hours). I also compete in a sport, where I am a national-level competitor (placing on multiple podiums nationally) and an instructor part-time.

Basically, I was wondering if having a good GPA in the MS portion of my degree would help boost my chances at a better school, or if the MS is unimportant for med schools. It is in a biomedical science. Because I had originally wanted to do a PhD, I focused more on research and less on working that much harder to make the better grades. I am considering DO school, but am more interested in being able to do research and feel an MD program would be a better fit.

Also- any other schools I should be looking at? I have pets, so I'd prefer to stay near NC in case I need to temporarily place them with family if I get too busy/have an away rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: