Chances? Would appreciate the advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paratroxal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 32S 12/8/S/12

My MCAT wasn't too balanced and the 8 in VR might be an issue.

I'm an Illinois resident, and my EC's are decent ,won't list them all

Doctor shadowing,
Club Founder and President,
Poetry Slam winner and continued participant
Long term health care center volunteer
Walk-a-thon committee member and participant
Private tutor

I have decent LORs

I'd love some advice and feedback to know where I fit in the admission process. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Very nice! Have you given any thought to where you will be applying?

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app

Thank you!

I've applied to all the allopathic schools in Illinois excluding SIU.
I've also applied to Boston, Albany, NYMC, and Cornell U.

My entire application should be ready to be looked at by early October, verified AMCAS secondaries LORs etc.It is a little late, but I have hope. What are my chances for the schools i've applied to?

Members don't see this ad :)
To make life easier for those reading this, the Illinois schools are:

Loyola University

Northwestern University

Rosalind Franklin University

Rush Medical College

University of Illinois at Chicago

University of Chicago Pritzer

cGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 32S 12/8/S/12

My MCAT wasn't too balanced and the 8 in VR might be an issue.

I'm an Illinois resident, and my EC's are decent ,won't list them all

Doctor shadowing,
Club Founder and President,
Poetry Slam winner and continued participant
Long term health care center volunteer
Walk-a-thon committee member and participant
Private tutor

I have decent LORs

I'd love some advice and feedback to know where I fit in the admission process. Thanks guys!

you'll be fine; and by that I mean you'll get into an IS MD school.

Off the subject though, why do people say, "I've got good LOR's?" How do they know what people wrote? (again, assuming they play by the rules, and haven't seen them).

Off the subject though, why do people say, "I've got good LOR's?" How do they know what people wrote? (again, assuming they play by the rules, and haven't seen them).
Some people send a copy to the recipient. For instance, one of the physicians who will write me an LOR told me she will let me read it before sending it....My bio prof promises that she will write me a good LOR because she believes that if you can not say 'good stuff' about the person you are writing the LOR for, you should not write it at all. She said that is why she only writes LOR for people she got to know and have at least earn a B in her class.

Some people send a copy to the recipient. For instance, one of the physicians who will write me an LOR told me she will let me read it before sending it....My bio prof promises that she will write me a good LOR because she believes that if you can not say 'good stuff' about the person you are writing the LOR for, you should not write it at all. She said that is why she only writes LOR for people she got to know and have at least earn a B in her class.

Is she a good writer? Have you read any other LOR's? How will hers look next to someone else's? Will her language be strong compared to others?

Ehh, you just can't tell what a good LOR is from reading one or two about yourself. We don't know what the adcom's see.

How are my chances for the OOS schools I applied to?

Any other advice? I'd really like to know where I sit regarding the schools i've applied to.

Bump for any more advice? Especially towards the Illinois schools.

I know your wallet won't like me saying this but I would apply to about 10 more schools. You only get one chance to be a first time applicant and you never know what might happen so it is, imo, worth applying to some more OOS low and mid tiers. Your odds are good though! Best of wishes!

I know your wallet won't like me saying this but I would apply to about 10 more schools. You only get one chance to be a first time applicant and you never know what might happen so it is, imo, worth applying to some more OOS low and mid tiers. Your odds are good though! Best of wishes!

Would I be considered a re-applicant in general? Even if I apply next cycle to a whole new set of schools that I didn't apply to previously?