Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Urzua89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure these things get posted a lot. But I just want to know what range of schools I should be looking at, and if schools like Stanford or Ivy leagues would be out of the question.
My sGPA is like 3.92
cGPA is about the same maybe a little definitely around the 3.9 range
MCAT still waiting on results I took my test July 18th and I'll be getting scores soon here, but based on scores of other people in the same percentile ranges for the AAMC practice test my score should be anywhere from 506-514. (I only had about 1 month of studying but most of that was spent in a summer physics class so I will retake it again next year if it is not good).
I have probably around 5,000 hours of clinical experience working in urgent care/surgery center/pain management clinics
I don't have much volunteer experience but I did do a medical mission in Ukraine which added up to be around 72 hours.
I currently work in a research lab but my first semester was this last spring so I don't have a lot of research exp.
I am from low SES, I am hispanic and white mixed male.
I am still working on submitting my application so I know that can be a huge disadvantage for me so I will try again next cycle earlier if things don't work out this time around.
Any thoughts? I don't really have much money to be wasting on applications so I was thinking about applying to 5 or so this cycle maybe one reach school and then if I don't get in the first time trying again next cycle and focusing on fixing the MCAT, getting more volunteer experience, and saving more money to apply to more schools (had no idea how much applying itself would cost).

Members don't see this ad.

Also any recommendations for medical schools to apply to would be nice! Here are a few I am sure I want to apply to: UofA (both), UCI, Morsani in Tampa, I have a few others that are potentials.

I know nothing is out of the question. Always throw in one or two "long shots"

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With you GPA and an MCAT score at the higher end of that range I think you'd have a shot at all of the best schools. Even at the lower end you've still got a shot.

Write a good story. Don't listen to all the SD crazies who think you don't have a chance unless you apply day one. You'd likely get interviews at a bunch of top 20 schools if you score >510. You should be fine at the UofA schools even if you score a 506.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Definitely post this in the what are my chances to thread in pre allo to get some solid advice!

What community do you represent? And please don't say "Palm Beach".

Not all Latinos are URM.

Your GPA is definitely Ivy caliber.

I'm sure these things get posted a lot. But I just want to know what range of schools I should be looking at, and if schools like Stanford or Ivy leagues would be out of the question.
My sGPA is like 3.92
cGPA is about the same maybe a little definitely around the 3.9 range
MCAT still waiting on results I took my test July 18th and I'll be getting scores soon here, but based on scores of other people in the same percentile ranges for the AAMC practice test my score should be anywhere from 506-514. (I only had about 1 month of studying but most of that was spent in a summer physics class so I will retake it again next year if it is not good).
I have probably around 5,000 hours of clinical experience working in urgent care/surgery center/pain management clinics
I don't have much volunteer experience but I did do a medical mission in Ukraine which added up to be around 72 hours.
I currently work in a research lab but my first semester was this last spring so I don't have a lot of research exp.
I am from low SES, I am hispanic and white mixed male.
I am still working on submitting my application so I know that can be a huge disadvantage for me so I will try again next cycle earlier if things don't work out this time around.
Any thoughts? I don't really have much money to be wasting on applications so I was thinking about applying to 5 or so this cycle maybe one reach school and then if I don't get in the first time trying again next cycle and focusing on fixing the MCAT, getting more volunteer experience, and saving more money to apply to more schools (had no idea how much applying itself would cost).

I would apply to about 10 schools across all tiers just to be safe. Your stats are dope, but being objective, high stats have been known to still get rejected if the story is **** or doesn't align with the school's mission.

Turns out my MCAT was only 503 so lower than anticipated, I know this is not Ivy League caliber, but I'm hoping it is still ok.
On my application currently I have UCSF (Reach), Morsani, George Washington, Tulane, Albany, Albert Einstein, Drexel, Northwestern, Rosalind, UA Tuc, and UI Chicago. Any of these I shouldn't waste time with for Secondaries? I've gotten secondaries from UA, UI Chicago, Tulane, Morsani, and George Washington(although they sent me the secondary invite before my application was even approved).
Any schools anyone would recommend me adding based on my MCAT score being lower than anticipated. I was really bummed out but I will take it again next year if I don't get in this cycle and I will make sure I have more time to spend studying for it (I know I can get a better score, just need the time to study).
I did get an email from Northwestern that said based on my MCAT score they considered me a competitive applicant and encouraged me to apply (they said 502+/28+ and 3.2+ were considered potentially competitive)