How does being underrepresented help or hurt your chances at med-school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrbanYogini

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an underrepresented, non-traditional community college student soon to transfer to a university. I am reinventing (to rise my gpa from long ago).

How does being underrepresented help or hurt your chances at med-school? What about being underrepresented and non-traditional (older).... are my odds doomed before I even start?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm an underrepresented, non-traditional community college student soon to transfer to a university. I am reinventing (to rise my gpa from long ago).

How does being underrepresented help or hurt your chances at med-school? What about being underrepresented and non-traditional (older).... are my odds doomed before I even start?

None. Makes a good story and we're in need of underrepresented physicians.

On the age part im not sure. I think you're best asking if theres a ceiling for age from the adcoms in the forums.

Wish you luck on your journey.

URM statistically gives you preferential treatment by admissions

I don’t know stats on nontrad

Reactions: 1 user
URM will help a lot especially if you are active and volunteer in a community. Biggest metrics would be GPA, MCAT, and ECs. Focus on acing your classes and doing well on the MCAT.