How does being underrepresented help or hurt your chances at med-school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UrbanYogini

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an underrepresented, non-traditional community college student soon to transfer to a university. I am reinventing (to rise my gpa from long ago).

How does being underrepresented help or hurt your chances at med-school? What about being underrepresented and non-traditional (older).... are my odds doomed before I even start?
 
Last edited:
I'm an underrepresented, non-traditional community college student soon to transfer to a university. I am reinventing (to rise my gpa from long ago).

How does being underrepresented help or hurt your chances at med-school? What about being underrepresented and non-traditional (older).... are my odds doomed before I even start?

None. Makes a good story and we're in need of underrepresented physicians.

On the age part im not sure. I think you're best asking if theres a ceiling for age from the adcoms in the forums.

Wish you luck on your journey.
 
I'm an underrepresented, non-traditional community college student soon to transfer to a university. I am reinventing (to rise my gpa from long ago).

How does being underrepresented help or hurt your chances at med-school? What about being underrepresented and non-traditional (older).... are my odds doomed before I even start?
URM statistically gives you preferential treatment by admissions

I don’t know stats on nontrad
 
URM will help a lot especially if you are active and volunteer in a community. Biggest metrics would be GPA, MCAT, and ECs. Focus on acing your classes and doing well on the MCAT.