DO Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobaBoy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am a non-traditional applicant who plans to apply next cycle 2020-2021. I plan on applying solely to DO. I am currently taking a post-bacc. Here are my stats:
undergrad GPA: 2.8
postbac GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 502
will have 4000+ hours of direct patient experience
have 250+ hours of volunteering
many other extracurriculars at the moment

Is there any suggestions or advice you would give me? I am not comfortably retaking the MCAT due to a couple of reasons but if I need to then I would reconsider it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone!

I am a non-traditional applicant who plans to apply next cycle 2020-2021. I plan on applying solely to DO. I am currently taking a post-bacc. Here are my stats:
undergrad GPA: 2.8
postbac GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 502
will have 4000+ hours of direct patient experience
have 250+ hours of volunteering
many other extracurriculars at the moment

Is there any suggestions or advice you would give me? I am not comfortably retaking the MCAT due to a couple of reasons but if I need to then I would reconsider it.
Apply broadly, except to those schools on my Bad Boy list, and CCOM, AZCOM, TOURO. CA TOURO NY

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you networked with current students at DO schools through AMSA or SOMA? In-state status helps, and I would pick schools within my region, especially if moving to a random place in the country isn't really feasible for you.

Have you networked with current students at DO schools through AMSA or SOMA? In-state status helps, and I would pick schools within my region, especially if moving to a random place in the country isn't really feasible for you.

I have never heard of AMSA or SOMA? What's that? I plan to job shadow DOs in the near future though.

Where is your state of residence ? What are your sGPA and cGPA including your postbac ?

Washington
sGPA 3.8 (only take science courses so far and plan on doing so)
cGPA including postbac, probably only a 2.85 as it's only been two quarters in the post bac so far. It will probably reach 3.0-3.1 cGPA including post bac at the end of my postbac based on GPA calculators.

Washington
cGPA including postbac, probably only a 2.85 as it's only been two quarters in the post bac so far. It will probably reach 3.0-3.1 cGPA including post bac at the end of my postbac based on GPA calculators.
Your total science GPA is a 3.8? What happened with the MCAT?

Washington
I suggest these schools with your projected cGPA:
PNWU-COM
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
lmu-dcom
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)

I suggest these schools with your projected cGPA:
PNWU-COM
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
lmu-dcom
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)

Thank you so much!

Your total science GPA is a 3.8? What happened with the MCAT?

Post Bacc total science GPA is a 3.8 (2 quarters so far). If you're question is why did I do poorly on the MCAT compared to my recent grades, well I can not offer a single explanation but I know I did stress on the CARS which dropped me to I believe a 122 or 123. Other than that I haven't been the best at standardized testing. I did study for the MCAT for 6 months, took a Princeton review course, averaged a 495 on around 10 full length practice test.

I would focus on your DO applications and connect with current students attending the schools on your list.

Thanks for your response! Silly question but my first thought of connecting with current students would be through LinkedIn. Any good questions I should ask these students? Thanks!

Thanks for your response! Silly question but my first thought of connecting with current students would be through LinkedIn. Any good questions I should ask these students? Thanks!
SDN is also probably a good resource to use. You are the one who is applying so you should be asking the questions. We can't do your homework.

@Goro I've seen you mention the questionable DO school list before. Do you have a breakdown on each schools? Is it poor COMLEX rates, student life, accreditation, etc.? I had CCOM and AZCOM on my list.

@Goro I've seen you mention the questionable DO school list before. Do you have a breakdown on each schools? Is it poor COMLEX rates, student life, accreditation, etc.? I had CCOM and AZCOM on my list.
Nova: Two of the four last years have declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. The last two years for which we have data are in the low 90s. Some 7% of their 2018 grads failed to match, ditto 4% of their Class of 2019. There are also signs of significant delay to graduation in these numbers. That’s still not good for a veteran school. I’d expect > 95% pass rates and match rates closer to 100%. These problems are you expect from a new school, not a veteran. Something is very wrong there. See: Residency Match Data and COMLEX Level 3 Board Scores | NSU COM

Wm Carey: VERY high attrition rates and only a 92% placement rate for their Class of 2018. That means 8% of their grads are now unemployed, NOT doing residency. No SOAP, no scramble, no TRI. This is simply NOT acceptable. In addition, there is no data for COMLEX pass rates for takers of 2017-18, 18-19-nor 19-20. That's THREE years of data they're hiding. I choose those words carefully.

LUCOM: I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; they’re disingenuous about whether their strict lifestyle rules apply to medical students (they do); and their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology. In the midst of the COVID19 pandemic, Liberty president Jerry Falwell Jr insisted that the campus stay open! This was in violation of state law. Jerry Jr is the gift that keeps on giving, because he’s an overt racist AND doesn’t believe in the danger that the SARS-CoV-2 poses: Black Liberty University alums rebuke Jerry Falwell after blackface tweet

From the wise gyngyn: Liberty is poorly regarded due to the history of intolerance of their founding fathers. This school's reputation for intolerance puts its grads at a disadvantage at many reputable residency programs.

LMU: granted continuing Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. “Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring: This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.”

This is only one of two COMs that has this level of accreditation status right now.

BCOM: COMLEX pass rates are a disaster, even for a new school. In my own school's experience, people who fail the exam will almost always pass the second time around. Yet some 9% of BCOM's second class still couldn't pass on the second try. These are people who are now far less likely to ever become doctors. Their inaugural Class of 2020 has had a 25% attrition rate (160 down to ~120).

Also this: granted Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.

Accreditation decisions for colleges of osteopathic medicine - American Osteopathic Association

ICOM: Not recommended due to the apparent dishonesty they had in setting up their school that poisoned the relations with hospitals in Idaho and/or the Idaho Medical Association. In addition, most of their rotation sites are very far away from the school. This raises the risk that the rotations are not adequately supervised and preceptors are not fully trained in teaching.

My guess for CCOM and AZCOM is due to their preference for high MCAT. Plus the tuition is ridiculous

Nova: Two of the four last years have declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. The last two years for which we have data are in the low 90s. Some 7% of their 2018 grads failed to match, ditto 4% of their Class of 2019. There are also signs of significant delay to graduation in these numbers. That’s still not good for a veteran school. I’d expect > 95% pass rates and match rates closer to 100%. These problems are you expect from a new school, not a veteran. Something is very wrong there. See: Residency Match Data and COMLEX Level 3 Board Scores | NSU COM

Wm Carey: VERY high attrition rates and only a 92% placement rate for their Class of 2018. That means 8% of their grads are now unemployed, NOT doing residency. No SOAP, no scramble, no TRI. This is simply NOT acceptable. In addition, there is no data for COMLEX pass rates for takers of 2017-18, 18-19-nor 19-20. That's THREE years of data they're hiding. I choose those words carefully.

LUCOM: I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; they’re disingenuous about whether their strict lifestyle rules apply to medical students (they do); and their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology. In the midst of the COVID19 pandemic, Liberty president Jerry Falwell Jr insisted that the campus stay open! This was in violation of state law. Jerry Jr is the gift that keeps on giving, because he’s an overt racist AND doesn’t believe in the danger that the SARS-CoV-2 poses: Black Liberty University alums rebuke Jerry Falwell after blackface tweet

From the wise gyngyn: Liberty is poorly regarded due to the history of intolerance of their founding fathers. This school's reputation for intolerance puts its grads at a disadvantage at many reputable residency programs.

LMU: granted continuing Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. “Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring: This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.”

This is only one of two COMs that has this level of accreditation status right now.

BCOM: COMLEX pass rates are a disaster, even for a new school. In my own school's experience, people who fail the exam will almost always pass the second time around. Yet some 9% of BCOM's second class still couldn't pass on the second try. These are people who are now far less likely to ever become doctors. Their inaugural Class of 2020 has had a 25% attrition rate (160 down to ~120).

Also this: granted Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.

Accreditation decisions for colleges of osteopathic medicine - American Osteopathic Association

ICOM: Not recommended due to the apparent dishonesty they had in setting up their school that poisoned the relations with hospitals in Idaho and/or the Idaho Medical Association. In addition, most of their rotation sites are very far away from the school. This raises the risk that the rotations are not adequately supervised and preceptors are not fully trained in teaching.
Wow Goro, thank you for those concerning details.