Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nypodkid

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I think everyone here has seen my panic filled posts and questions in this forum, and I thought I might as well make a thread for my own stats.
cGPA- 2.71, sGPA- 2.8, retook some classes, and my school only allows grade replacement for 2 courses, any others are averages of all your attempts, but I never had to retake a class more than once.

MCAT- 495, took it in August, jumped from 488 in January. I didn’t have much time to study because I was working full time in medical office and taking care of 4 COVID +family members for about 2 months.

experience- 4 years as an MA with an IM physician, who gave me a wonderful LOR!
6 months of hospital shadowing with the same MD
4 years in club leadership- events manager, secretary, VP, President.
6 months of psychology research, as an extension of a paper I did in one class and my professor suggested I expand it to a bigger sample.
40 hours with a DPM, NYCPM graduate, has been absolutely amazing and teaching me so much new stuff!

LOR-
1 from an MD, 1 from my psych professor that I did research w and 1 from my math professor, retook calc 1 cause I can’t do math for my life, so emphasized on my improvement from the first attempt. I wrote the LOR for MD and calc, so I know they are positive letters.
If you guys need more details I’ll be happy to give, and thanks for your help beforehand!
Also a huge thank you to anyone that I’ve been in contact with via PM, you rock!
Applying to all schools, but prefer NYCPM for location purposes.

PS- is it too late to apply now? I know the cycle closes in June, but for a lower stats applicant, is it too late?

PPS-I will ask my DPM for a LOR, but I don’t know who’s to replace it with because I know only3 LOR are allowed.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied in May (like 3 weeks before the application cycle closed) and still got an interview/accepted in July. I'd replace the psych professor's letter with the one from a DPM, if you still want to submit it there's a way. I think have him email it to the school or something like that- each school have different policies if you ask them.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys!
I think everyone here has seen my panic filled posts and questions in this forum, and I thought I might as well make a thread for my own stats.
cGPA- 2.71, sGPA- 2.8, retook some classes, and my school only allows grade replacement for 2 courses, any others are averages of all your attempts, but I never had to retake a class more than once.

MCAT- 495, took it in August, jumped from 488 in January. I didn’t have much time to study because I was working full time in medical office and taking care of 4 COVID +family members for about 2 months.

6 months of psychology research, as an extension of a paper I did in one class and my professor suggested I expand it to a bigger sample.
40 hours with a DPM, NYCPM graduate, has been absolutely amazing and teaching me so much new stuff!

LOR-
1 from an MD, 1 from my psych professor that I did research w and 1 from my math professor, retook calc 1 cause I can’t do math for my life, so emphasized on my improvement from the first attempt. I wrote the LOR for MD and calc, so I know they are positive letters.
If you guys need more details I’ll be happy to give, and thanks for your help beforehand!
Also a huge thank you to anyone that I’ve been in contact with via PM, you rock!

PS- is it too late to apply now? I know the cycle closes in June, but for a lower stats applicant, is it too late?

PPS-I will ask my DPM for a LOR, but I don’t know who’s to replace it with because I know only3 LOR are allowed.

There is a WAMC thread, no need to create new ones for chances. MCAT is fine; GPAs are on the lower side but apply broadly.
Seems like adcoms are more lenient since this pandemic began. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied in May (like 3 weeks before the application cycle closed) and still got an interview/accepted in July. I'd replace the psych professor's letter with the one from a DPM, if you still want to submit it there's a way. I think have him email it to the school or something like that- each school have different policies if you ask them.

Wow you got lucky! Do you think if I apply now, which I will I stand a chance with those stats?

There is a WAMC thread, no need to create new ones for chances. MCAT is fine; GPAs are on the lower side but apply broadly.
Seems like adcoms are more lenient since this pandemic began. Good luck!
I’m applying to all 9 schools, is there a chance w any schools or no, from your experience?

with the MCAT waived for many schools, not sure about all of them, does it give me a better chance compared to students not submitting an MCAT?

Sounds good! I will submit my app, I don’t think I can send a LOR link to a recommender after I send the app, correct?

I’m applying to all 9 schools, is there a chance w any schools or no, from your experience?

with the MCAT waived for many schools, not sure about all of them, does it give me a better chance compared to students not submitting an MCAT?

Yeah, you should def submit your MCAT scores, it gives you a slight edge over the low GPAs. Try Barry and NYCPM, a few here got in with similar stats.
Look into NYCPM January start also, not sure when the deadline is.

Yeah, you should def submit your MCAT scores, it gives you a slight edge over the low GPAs. Try Barry and NYCPM, a few here got in with similar stats.

I have them both on my list, and have been in communication with the admissions office at NY. She actually has tabs on seats for the Jan session, said I should apply for Fall admission, and If I’m accepted, I can appeal my acceptance to begin in Jan. But that’s all dependent on my acceptance. Students have gotten in with stats similar to mine? I’ve been quite nervous, since my first choice is NY due to distance, but I’m not gonna be hung up about a particular school, any school is good for me at this point!

Yeah, you should def submit your MCAT scores, it gives you a slight edge over the low GPAs. Try Barry and NYCPM, a few here have got in with similar stats.
Also, regarding the MCAT, I meant to ask does the option of having the MCAT waived, does it make me any better an applicant that I submitted them versus not submitting them? I will be regardless, it’s somethign that gives me a fighting chance in my apps.

Also, regarding the MCAT, I meant to ask does the option of having the MCAT waived, does it make me any better an applicant that I submitted them versus not submitting them? I will be regardless, it’s somethign that gives me a fighting chance in my apps.

You're over thinking it.

If you took it, submit it. Why try to hide? Doesn't do you or the school any favors.

You're over thinking it.

If you took it, submit it. Why try to hide? Doesn't do you or the school any favors.
No no, I think we’re being a little misunderstood. I’m not talking about my own MCAT, I’m talking about the general pool of applicants. Does it make me any better compared to students that don’t submit it, it’s a question I’m just curious about.

No no, I think we’re being a little misunderstood. I’m not talking about my own MCAT, I’m talking about the general pool of applicants. Does it make me any better compared to students that don’t submit it, it’s a question I’m just curious about.

I don’t think anyone can answer this definitively.

I would say no. There are applicants with competitive GPAs and ECs that were unable to sit for the exam due to COVID. I like to think the Admissions Committees look at students as a “whole”, rather than a specific MCAT score. At least that was the point in waiving the exam anyway.

I don’t think anyone can answer this definitively.

I would say no. There are applicants with competitive GPAs and ECs that were unable to sit for the exam due to COVID. I like to think the Admissions Committees look at students as a “whole”, rather than a specific MCAT score. At least that was the point in waiving the exam anyway.
Got you. Thanks, btw did you get a chance to look over the stats?

No...it makes you a better applicant if you submitted the scores because you went up. If you also have an upward trend in the GPAs last 30-40 credits then your chances are even better. Apply asap and see how it goes.

Got you. Thanks, btw did you get a chance to look over the stats?

I agree with what the others have said already. I think you’ll be fine for the larger schools. Good luck!

I agree with what the others have said already. I think you’ll be fine for the larger schools. Good luck!

Thank you! And bigger schools I assume Scholl Barry NY?

Hi guys!

LOR-

Hi,

For the stats that you have mentioned, you do have a fairly good chance of being accepted into WesternU CPM. Your GPA is on the slightly lower side compared to the average of applicants, however your MCAT is close to the average and shows signs of improvement which is a plus. The school looks at applicants holistically, and the hurdles they've faced, especially during times of COVID. Make sure to mention the reasons for your scores in your personal statements and interviews. Your extracurriculars and shadowing experiences are good, but the most important thing for your application to the school is the LOR from the DPM. Western requires a LOR from a podiatrist, while the other letters are optional. I assume this is important for the other schools as well. As for application cycle, it is not too late regardless of stats. Admissions are on a rolling basis so it is first come first served to accept applicants the school likes until the class is filled up. Western takes a max of 50 students per cycle. With that being said, apply to as many schools as you can and be confident in the choices you make. Stats are important, but don't tell the whole story of the applicant. Good luck!!