Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

I am wondering what chances I would have of getting into med school. I am 17 and I dropped out of high school when I was 16. I got my ged and I want to start College. Could I go to a community college for one year then transfer to a 4year? or would that ruin my chances? this is something that i truely want to do

Members don't see this ad.

Hey

I am wondering what chances I would have of getting into med school. I am 17 and I dropped out of high school when I was 16. I got my ged and I want to start College. Could I go to a community college for one year then transfer to a 4year? or would that ruin my chances? this is something that i truely want to do
Hi there! Many of us got off to a bad start. That's in the past. Going to a CC is not a bad way to save some money while building your confidence as you ease back into full-time academia. However, do be aware that a few medical schools don't like to see too many community college credits. '

The schools that will disqualify your application are definitely in the minority and, for such a silly reason, I'm not sure I'd be happy attending a medical school with such a policy. Just this morning, I received an e-mail from the Dean of our medical school asking us to give a talk at the local community college to encourage more applications and to dispell the myth that medical school is an unattainable goal for a community college student. I attend a U.S. allopathic medical school. For better or worse, some medical schools have the perception that community college classes are far easier than a regular four-year institution, but I'm sure that's not always the case. Before you enroll, make sure the basic science curriculum at the CC covers all the material you need to know for the MCAT; that is critical. Here is that information: http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/studentmanual/start.htm Good luck!

thanks for the good advice