Chances..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babycapybara

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another non-trad here wondering what my chances are!

I'm 36 years old, which sounds old but really isn't. I run and do triathlons and this has been one of my major focuses over the years. I'm a massage therapist and also volunteer in the local hospital. I've taught english abroad, and lived and worked in several different countries, I speak several languages...I really want to go to a school that has some sort of focus on international medicine.

I just took the MCAT, got a 32, which is good but will not necessarily make up for my 3.28 GPA. I did pretty badly in my first degree, basically because I was unfocused, and had no clue what I wanted to do with myself, I think my GPA for that was just under a 3.0, but from a top liberal arts college.
In the past 2 years, I've completed my pre-med reqs plus some extras with a 3.95 (stupid A-) science GPA which dragged my total GPA up to 3.28.

What schools, if any, might look favorably on an applicant like me:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

They will look most at your recent coursework so I think you have an excellent chance.

I would recommend the following non-trad friendly schools:

UChicago
Loyola
Case Western
Creighton
USF
UVermont
NY Medical College

Also worth applying to your state schools.

They will look most at your recent coursework so I think you have an excellent chance.

I would recommend the following non-trad friendly schools:

OP - see the recent thread in which many posters have suggested that one shouldn't really limit themselves to "non-trad friendly schools". I agree with vtucci that your state school is usually a good starting point. But with your stats, I think you will get looked at at many of the schools outside of the top 20. Apply broadly and to many.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey. I agree with L2D (as usual!). Your stats are good enough to get a looksee by many schools. Always start with your state school(s) and work from there. You can always pick 1-2 reach schools for fun. I've known quite a few people who ended up getting admission even though nobody thought they had a chance at the upper eschelon. For your stats you can pick many of the middle of the road schools. If you apply widely, you will have the best chance. MAKE SURE you read the MSAR and don't waste your money on schools that accept 1-2 OOSers per year. Many make this mistake every year despite being aware of it.

For you it will largely about spin. You are far enough away from your first undergrad program that they will have no problem believing that you're beyond that now. You need to demonstrate to them why you're certain about medicine as a career and this includes showing them (not just writing a great essay) by going out of your way academically and with ECs. They see hundreds and thousands of applications, all saying much the same thing. You have a more unique story than the standard applicant, so use it to your advantage. You get to tell them AND show them how much you want it.

And, obviously, rec letters will play a large part in it for you. Make sure you can get excellent ones from people who know you fairly well. If you can't, make sure you start strategizing how to get these-- more volunteering in ONE place or shadowing intensively over a period of months.

~FD

I have two questions. One may not be for this forum but the other applies.
1.) Has anyone heard of the Dr. Flowers MCAT (online MCAT prep)? Is it any good?

2) Ok here goes...I have a BS in Biology, Pre-medwith a 3.6GPA overall and a 3.5GPA in Major.. I took the MCAT my junior year but I wasn't focused and thought I made a 12. I went to graduate school instead and recieved an MPH in Epidemiology and Biostatistics. I've been working since i graduated in May 2001 with a 3.5 GPA I retook the MCAT last year when I realized I have always wanted to be a doctor, but I think in retrospect, I thought that would hinder the other things I wanted in life, like a family. Anyhow, I retook the MCAT and scored a 15. I'm 28 years old, currently volunteer at the local hospital, hospice, BBBS, and various other volunteer opportunities over the last 4 years, that I've been out of school. My LOR will come from my undergraduate institution pre-med advisor, graduate professor, volunteer coordinator, former employer, mentor/close friend(she is not a physician). I am retaking the MCAT for the third time this May. What do you think my chances of getting in given that I know I have to do a phenomenal job on the MCAT.

1.) Has anyone heard of the Dr. Flowers MCAT (online MCAT prep)? Is it any good?

2) Ok here goes...I have a BS in Biology, Pre-medwith a 3.6GPA overall and a 3.5GPA in Major.. I took the MCAT my junior year but I wasn't focused and thought I made a 12. I went to graduate school instead and recieved an MPH in Epidemiology and Biostatistics. I've been working since i graduated in May 2001 with a 3.5 GPA I retook the MCAT last year when I realized I have always wanted to be a doctor, but I think in retrospect, I thought that would hinder the other things I wanted in life, like a family. Anyhow, I retook the MCAT and scored a 15. I'm 28 years old, currently volunteer at the local hospital, hospice, BBBS, and various other volunteer opportunities over the last 4 years, that I've been out of school. My LOR will come from my undergraduate institution pre-med advisor, graduate professor, volunteer coordinator, former employer, mentor/close friend(she is not a physician). I am retaking the MCAT for the third time this May. What do you think my chances of getting in given that I know I have to do a phenomenal job on the MCAT.

Absolutely do not take the MCAT again until you are consistently scoring close to where you want to be on multiple full length practice tests. Are you adequately studying for these tests? Did you take a prep course? Your scores suggest a lack of preparation or possibly "winging" it before you are ready. This is not an aptitude test. If, however, you are scoring well at home and poorly in the exam, it could be a matter of test anxiety, for which there are possible other ways to overcome. I woudn't consider an online review course because honestly someone who gets the scores you have likely needs the structure of a classroom -- your previous efforts do not bode well for the likelihood that you are able to prepare adequately on your own.
At any rate, the MCAT is but one standardized test on a path that will be full or more important standardized tests, so you need to figure out how to fix this or medicine will be a bad option.

0 unless Caribbean........................................even then not Big 4

You are going to get the same low MCAT since you have taken a review course after failing it twice. Yeah under 27 is really not succeeding in the MCAT the Coveted 9,9,9 is what you want at least with those low numbers you are not even doing well in Science.

Look the above is good advice, DO NOT TAKE IT FOR THE THIRD TIME NOW
It is painful to se your post, the message you have gotten twice is that you are not ready and need to get intense in studying for it, most people take 3 months to do this, Take it in Sept after a long session of concentration on the test and review, do the practice tests and realize that score is higher then the real thing.

DOnt loose hope but you only get 3 shots and some ADCOMS may reject you for taking three times.

I'm 36 years old, which sounds old but really isn't. I run and do triathlons and this has been one of my major focuses over the years. I'm a massage therapist and also volunteer in the local hospital. I've taught english abroad, and lived and worked in several different countries, I speak several languages...I really want to go to a school that has some sort of focus on international medicine.

I just took the MCAT, got a 32, which is good but will not necessarily make up for my 3.28 GPA. I did pretty badly in my first degree, basically because I was unfocused, and had no clue what I wanted to do with myself, I think my GPA for that was just under a 3.0, but from a top liberal arts college.
In the past 2 years, I've completed my pre-med reqs plus some extras with a 3.95 (stupid A-) science GPA which dragged my total GPA up to 3.28.

I definitely think that you have a chance. While your overall isn't stellar, your science GPA is and your MCAT is quite respectable.

I honestly think, in MY opinion, that the only students that are really going to have the outstanding GPAs and MCATs are the traditional students, that knew from the earliest times they wanted to get into medical school and have developed good study habit early on. The thing I admire are nontrads and even some trads that take responsibility for their earlier mishaps. Yeah, on your first degree you didn't do well...you probably went to college not necessarily for a specific career goal but because after high school, it was probably just expected.

I think another plus of being a nontrad is that you've done some actual living outside of a school setting. When you go for your interviews, you'll definitely have some fresh responses because I'm sure that more than a few are going to want to know about you and since you are not coming out of a cookie cutter mold and have life experiences, you should come out ahead.

Best of luck:luck: . I'm sure that you'll have no problem getting into medical school.

To you yes you have a good chance IMO the 32 MCAT is awesome!!! and you improved on the GPA upward trend.

DOnt loose hope but you only get 3 shots and some ADCOMS may reject you for taking three times.

Actually this is not true. You get 3 shots without having to provide a letter from an adcom, a rejection letter, or from your pre-med advisor to state that you will be re-applying. I took the MCAT 4 times and I know someone who has taken it 6 times.

The reason for the limit is to not allow test prep companies to keep taking the MCAT to memorize the questions and/or to make sure that their company is the best.

While adcoms frown upon taking the MCAT more than 3 times, it is not a killer.

Actually this is not true. You get 3 shots without having to provide a letter from an adcom, a rejection letter, or from your pre-med advisor to state that you will be re-applying. I took the MCAT 4 times and I know someone who has taken it 6 times.

The reason for the limit is to not allow test prep companies to keep taking the MCAT to memorize the questions and/or to make sure that their company is the best.

While adcoms frown upon taking the MCAT more than 3 times, it is not a killer.

DId you get this from posts or did it come from the people who admister the MCAT? If it is against Companies then why did they just sue princton? It seems they could have saved some money then?

FUnny but two ADCOM memebers I talked to said it does matter and they look twice when someone keeps doing poorly on the MCAT, look I do not care I'm a MS II but I do not like to tell someone it's fine when it's not

I see it as bad advice that it is ok to keep taking the MCAT especially 6 times OMG I have to admit that would turn my head too if reviewing apps for medschool.........................................Comon sense plays a part too I think.

Also The GPA of YeaRite is really on the borderline too, taking the MCAT more then 3 times will be a red flag IMO, Many do not get accepted with those stats and one good MCAT...............why would you tell them they are fine?

you would have a descent shot at DO schools with your stats

Thanks for your advice. It's hard to hear, but that's what I wanted...honesty

you would have a descent shot at DO schools with your stats

This was my thought exactly. Plus, at a DO school you will be able to use your hands on massage skills. The fact that you are really interested in physical fitness is also a flag to me that the osteopathic view of whole body medicine and treating the person, not the disease might really appeal to you. I know that my DO school has a good amount of international opportunities available after MS1 and MS2. PM me if you have DO questions.

My only concern about DO schools is if it's a problem being recognized internationally.

DId you get this from posts or did it come from the people who admister the MCAT? If it is against Companies then why did they just sue princton? It seems they could have saved some money then?

FUnny but two ADCOM memebers I talked to said it does matter and they look twice when someone keeps doing poorly on the MCAT, look I do not care I'm a MS II but I do not like to tell someone it's fine when it's not

I see it as bad advice that it is ok to keep taking the MCAT especially 6 times OMG I have to admit that would turn my head too if reviewing apps for medschool.........................................Comon sense plays a part too I think.

I never said it was fine, I said it was frowned upon. However, when I met with the director of admissions from one school, she told me that she did not care how many times the MCAT was taken, she will look at the application.

There is one poster on this board who DID take it 6 times and was finally admitted. You need to have a darn good explaination as to why you took it so many times and if you took it so many times, why did you only go up one or two points.

During my interview I was asked why I took the MCAT 4 times, my explaination must have passed the mustard because I was accepted to that school.

As for TPR and Kaplan, there are intstructors there all the time taking sections of the MCAT you just have to look. In fact, when kaplan started this business, he would hire people with photographic memory to take the test and then write down the question and the answer choices. This is common practice and the AAMC knows it. They just have to catch people.

I never said it was fine, I said it was frowned upon. However, when I met with the director of admissions from one school, she told me that she did not care how many times the MCAT was taken, she will look at the application.

There is one poster on this board who DID take it 6 times and was finally admitted. You need to have a darn good explaination as to why you took it so many times and if you took it so many times, why did you only go up one or two points.

During my interview I was asked why I took the MCAT 4 times, my explaination must have passed the mustard because I was accepted to that school.

As for TPR and Kaplan, there are intstructors there all the time taking sections of the MCAT you just have to look. In fact, when kaplan started this business, he would hire people with photographic memory to take the test and then write down the question and the answer choices. This is common practice and the AAMC knows it. They just have to catch people.

I see your point but one school and one person who was successful is not what I would base advice on, I would mention its possible but not make someone feel it is common, also I based my opinion on the posters GPA and of course I have no idea about the rest this person could have an awesome rest of the APP or just average I have no idea all this does have a impact on acceptance.