Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Worry Boy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just finished my AMCAS app. and was wondering what you think my chances are. My GPA is low (3.30) (Sci 3.35) but I am an older student (27)and have demonstrated a strong commitment to provide svcs. to an underserved population (Native Amer) thru life experince, volunteer, and Internship. Several Docs have written very strong letters of support and my advisors feel I am a strong applicant. In addition I have been accepted into a highly competitve Pre-Med Summer program at UCLA Med. (Finally, my question is do you know of anyone with such a GPA actually getting into a CA school or any other Med schools??

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but there are so many other factors to consider. Even if you had a 4.0 GPA you wouldn't be guaranteed a spot in a medical school somewhere, so don't worry about it for now. How are your MCAT scores?

It's difficult to predict, that's all I'm saying, but the lower your GPA is, the harder it'll be to get into medical school.

Tim of New York City.

Worryboy
My overall GPA was the same as yours, but my science GPA was 3.60. My first MCAT was 27 (I retook it later) After obtaining my B.S. and working for a while, I returned to school to pursue becoming a physician. I then obtained a 3.70 (to raise my overall to a 3.3) in many pre-med and tough science courses. I did not work too hard in school the first time around but had a tough major and minor. I obtained a second degree in biology and minored in psychology (great courses for doctors). Anyway, I applied to many M.D. schools and D.O. schools the first time. I received 3 M.D. interviews, and wait-listed at one. I received no interviews at D.O. schools. I think it is because I did not spend any time with a D.O. even though I did spend time doing the normal volunteering (ER, shadowing M.D., etc.) I also had some other community service, but nothing I was in charge of. My point is that you should try to apply to as many schools as you can afford because I ended up getting interviews at schools I did not think would even look at me (Northwestern for instance), and did not receive interviews at places like LECOM which was fairly new. I too am in my late 20s and they will ask you why now.
I toiled around with the idea of going to the caribbean or other foreign schools like in Ireland, but I did not, and I would not recommend it at all after looking into it. Well, I ended up getting in on my second try to a few schools. Give it a shot. You may lose money and time, but nothing good in life comes easy. Try to work on your "shortcomings" if you decide to apply again. If you don't get in you are not a failure. Many qualified people get the door shut on them every year. Look at it philosophically, and it will help you cope.

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.