Chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freddy23

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergraduate at Cornell and am wondering about my chances of acceptance at a top 25 medical school. My overall GPA is a bit low, 3.38, due to some early struggles (though I managed A-'s in organic chem during that period), but I have recently bulked up on advance biology courses (immunology, microbiology, virology) and have attained a 3.9 GPA since the last year and a half, and will graduate with honors. My MCAT's are mediocre, 32Q, but I have had numerous research papers published and am currently involved in a number of other research projects. I have extracurriculars (film making, creative writing, intramural sports) and am a published fiction writer. I will also receive my M.S. from Cornell before matriculation in med school. My concern is my low GPA and so-so MCAT's.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your MCAT scores? 3.38 isn't that bad, if the school's mean is 3.6, there are just as many acceptees below as above that number. With all your extracurriculars and a masters, you should do fine. Have you interviewed yet? Most schools put just as much weight in the interview section as any other piece of the med school acceptance pie. Keep trying... I heard of one fellow's response to a tough question, "What are you going to do if you are turned down this year?" He replied, "Well, I've researched several schools, and I fit yours better than any, so you'll be talking to me in this chair next year if you decline my application this year." He later received his acceptance letter with a 3.3 GPA in undergrad.

Gard

Sorry, I missed the MCAT scores the first scan of your post... 32Q is certainly above average...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not on an admissions committee, but from what I have read and understand to be the "norm" you seem to be an exceptional candidate. It's all just facts on paper until your interview however. I am not sure what you have as your goals (you said 'top notch school') but you would appear to have put yourself in a great position to get accepted to medical school. You probably cant assume any more than that though. What I mean is, this thing is not an exact science and you just never know. I would personally think that you are definitely going to be accepted to 'a' medical school, and definitely very competitive for a slot in one of the 'top notch schools'. Good work, it sounds that you have prepared yourself well, adn hope you get in where you want. Looks good though.
smile.gif

Thanks to all who replied so encouragingly. Whenever any of you open up a practice, sign me up because it sounds like there's some genuine altruism present. Has anyone seen the Princeton Review discussion boards? If those racist, sexist and self-involved people are going to be my med school peers, maybe it's time for me to explore other professions...

God, you're right about the Princeton Review discussion boards. It's truly scary that these people are the ones being accepted into the "top" med schools. If you go through the lists of acceptances, they've all gotten into the "top" schools. It really pisses me off. (if in fact they're telling the truth). It seems like they all fit into the "gunner" category, which is the wrong attitude to take towards a humanistic profession such as medicine. I hope that these imbecils are just children that get their asses kicked in med school and learn some much needed humility! (now I sound just like them!!) Freddy, I think your chances sound good. I think they'll love the fact that you've done something besides memorize reactions for the last four years! Good luck!

I am shocked at the content of the TPR posts. I have not had a look at them until I read this post. There is very little quality content on that site. It makes me appreciate the SD network.

You're right about the PR site -- I have followed that board for a while now and was getting discouraged that there wasn't a better site where I could get information. This network is MUCH more informative and helpful.
I think the fact that you have to register in order to post messages discourages many of the types of comments seen on the PR site.