Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ulrichsk8ter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a sophomore at Olemiss and just decided to switch from pharmacy to premed.

3.45sGpa , 3.31cGpa
10 weeks of Pharmacy tech experience
Good Lors
Honors College
Projected 31q on Mcat(just a rough estimate but I plan on doing a Crazy study regimen to get prepared)

School lists:
University of Mississippi Medical Center
Georgetown
University of Tennessee-Memphis
LSU
Alabama
Mercer
Vanderbilt

Long Shots:
Johns Hopkins
Harvard

If my stuff is not up to par what steps should I take to hopefully get into one of those schools.

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot or something, Im new to the forums.

Members don't see this ad.

The general SDN response will be:
1) Increase your GPA
2) In terms of the EC trifecta of volunteering/clinical experience/research, you seems to be lacking all three

Also, many people assume they can achieve a higher MCAT than they actually are able to. Not that you can't get a 31, but it roughly translates to the ~80th percentile, which is pretty high considering the aptitude and drive of the other test takers.

I personally find the tech work fairly unique, however.

i agree with jbj about gpa and ec's.

even if you get a 31
a 3.45/31 is still below the average accepted applicant.
you should aim higher.

You will need some physician shadowing too.

Check out the School Selection spreadsheet stickied to the top of this forum. With your current cGPA, t o have a decent chance at US allopathic schools, I'd aim for an MCAT score of 34 to get into the least selective schools. If you can get the cGPA higher, you won't need as high a score to compensate.

Keep in mind that median stats for those accepted are 3.65 and 31. Highly-selective schools also tend to be research strong and will want to see 2+ years of this activity on your application. You have a lot of work to do. Consider applying after senior year so your application will be the best it can be.