Chances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IooI

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, newbie here. Long story short, I'm an M3 who thought he wanted to be a surgeon. Realized I love learning about cancer and not knot-tying and being yelled at all day.

Stats:
Med school: Top 10-15 with very strong radonc faculty
Step 1: 261
M1 and M2 grades: H in medicine, HP Psych, Ob/Gyn and Peds. Still have a couple of rotations to go
Publications: 6 clinical in surgical subspecialty (4 first author), 1 fourth-author basic science in radonc from my M1 year

I'm from California and would LOVE to go back. I know right now my weakness is my lack of rad-onc related research. I also know that stat/grade-wise, I should be OK. Question is, what are my realistic chances of matching at a place like UCSF or Stanford (I know, this might be a pipe-dream)? Other West Coast programs that are good? What about places like Sloan-Kettering or Harvard?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Matching at top places (even on the West coast) is realistic for you. You have a good home Rad Onc program and are an M3 so get involved with your department ASAP and start cranking out some research projects.

Besides UCSF/Stanford no other West coast programs are universally acclaimed as "good." But, personally, I would put OHSU near to that level. UCLA is up and coming very rapidly. I would wait for interview impressions from the current class for more up to date info.