Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piston95

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, great to see others interested in psychiatry as I am. I'm currently a 3rd year student at a US medical school and I am really leaning towards psychiatry at this point (for several reasons). I was a decent student my first 2 years..maybe top 40% of my class or so. Main problem was I choked really hard on Step 1. Had a bad case of nerves during the test and also I would have to say that the exam was pretty dang tough too. Anyways, I ended up with a 213...was just wondering assuming I get through third year without too many hiccups and maybe do a little better on Step 2, would I have a chance at most university programs? I don't really care about being at a top program..but I would prefer a university program. If you have any insight or advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot and great to see interest in the most important medical specialty.

Members don't see this ad.

Do well in your 3rd year rotations. Try to get an honors in Psych. Collect strong recommendations from attendings who know you well. If you can do these things, you will have no trouble getting into great university programs. A 213 should not close doors for you, except at a handful of the most competitive places.

Also, research never hurts.

Do well in your 3rd year rotations. Try to get an honors in Psych. Collect strong recommendations from attendings who know you well. If you can do these things, you will have no trouble getting into great university programs. A 213 should not close doors for you, except at a handful of the most competitive places.
Ditto this. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the research unless you have a passion for it. The very, very few places that will find research as a near-requirement are the same places that would possibly screen out based on a below average Step 1.

If you work hard on your clinical years and apply broadly and widely, you'll find a good university program somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it! You passed on the first attempt, and that is the most important thing. Most programs really just want to know that you can pass a board exam. I had a similar score as you did and got interviews at great university programs--places like Pitt, Hopkins, Yale, UMich. I also had a fairly well rounded application, which I'm sure helped a lot. Just keep concentrating on your rotations, try to honor all psych rotations, get some excellent LORs, and make sure you pass Step 2. You'll be fine. :luck:

As others have said..you will not have any problem based on the score (excepting the 'top tier'/most competitive places). Enjoy 3rd year, learn, survive, do your best, it'll all work out.