Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsmith1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have about a 3.65 science gpa and about a 3.73 overall gpa. I am a part of 3 clubs on campus with which I do volunteering work like clerical stuff for a local clinic. I have also helped work in blood drives. I have a leadership role in one of the clubs. I also have about 100 hours of hospital volunteering over the summer. I am currently a sophomore so this summer I expect to obtain some more volunteering. I also expect to shadow doctors over this summer. I should be able to get 50 - 100 hours of shadowing by this summer. In addition I plan to do research for next year (two semesters) before I apply.

I took a practice MCAT and was able to score a 30. If I am able to get about a 30 on the real MCAT what are my chances? Anything to improve on?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So I have about a 3.65 science gpa and about a 3.73 overall gpa. I am a part of 3 clubs on campus with which I do volunteering work like clerical stuff for a local clinic. I have also helped work in blood drives. I have a leadership role in one of the clubs. I also have about 100 hours of hospital volunteering over the summer. I am currently a sophomore so this summer I expect to obtain some more volunteering. I also expect to shadow doctors over this summer. I should be able to get 50 - 100 hours of shadowing by this summer. In addition I plan to do research for next year (two semesters) before I apply.

I took a practice MCAT and was able to score a 30. If I am able to get about a 30 on the real MCAT what are my chances? Anything to improve on?
Of All Applicants applying through AMCAS with a 3.73/30, about 68% were accepted.

Hopefully you will do more clinical volunteering over the coming summer. Don't forget to include a primary care doc in your shadowing hours. A research experience, the leadership, and teaching (TA, tutor, coach, mentor) all strengthen your application (now being the time to email around looking for a research spot for the fall). I hope you'll continue with the nonmedical community service as well.

Of All Applicants applying through AMCAS with a 3.73/30, about 68% were accepted.

Hopefully you will do more clinical volunteering over the coming summer. Don't forget to include a primary care doc in your shadowing hours. A research experience, the leadership, and teaching (TA, tutor, coach, mentor) all strengthen your application (now being the time to email around looking for a research spot for the fall). I hope you'll continue with the nonmedical community service as well.

Hey

Thanks a lot for the input. Doesn't my volunteering at the hospital over the summer count as clinical? I usually transport patients and help nurses clean up. Also could you clarify on the 68% being accepted with a 3.7 gpa. Since my science gpa is lower does that lower the percentage? Thanks again!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason I underlined the word "clinical" is because you didn't specify what type of volunteering you plan for the coming summer. Yes, what you did last year was clinical as transporting patients is a great experience, but I feel it needs additional supplementation, considering the average applicant has 1.5 years of clinical experience, so I'm expressing a hope that you might return to the same experience or something in another medical mileau.

Since your BCPM GPA is above the average for those accepted to MD schools, I think that the figure I cited is probably accurate for your situation.

The reason I underlined the word "clinical" is because you didn't specify what type of volunteering you plan for the coming summer. Yes, what you did last year was clinical as transporting patients is a great experience, but I feel it needs additional supplementation, considering the average applicant has 1.5 years of clinical experience, so I'm expressing a hope that you might return to the same experience or something in another medical mileau.

Since your BCPM GPA is above the average for those accepted to MD schools, I think that the figure I cited is probably accurate for your situation.

Alright cool thanks! Last question I promise! Is there a big difference between a 3.6 gpa vs 3.65? I am suppose to take a difficult bio class next year tht I could potentially push off till senior year so med schools would not see it. I am expecting around a 3.722 gpa for the semester if I do take it and a 3.889 if I dont. Should I just take it now? (its biochem)

It would depend on how selective the schools are that you aspire to. As a generalization, a visible dip just before applying wouldn't be my first choice on your behalf, though.

I plan on applying to mid-tier schools. I would take this class in the fall of my junior year so I would still have spring semester left to go before I would apply. Also don't med schools like to see students taking difficult classes? Would it look better to have taken both Orgo II and biochem even if biochem ends up being like a B?

They do, and moreso if it's a recommended or required class for the school.

I don't think that dropping your BCPM from 3.65 to 3.6 will be a deal killer for mid-range selective schools considering your more-than-respectable cGPA. And like you said, you'd have the following semester to raise it again.