Change Advanced Program During Intern Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say you're going into a specialty with advanced positions like PM&R. You match into an intern year you like, and an advanced position that's lower on your list.

Say an advanced (PGY-2) position for the next summer opens up sometime during your intern year. Are you allowed to jump ship, or do you have to report to the advanced position you originally matched into come June?

Members don't see this ad.

buckley

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe I read in one of the threads here that the NRMP is more lenient towards advance programs. That is, you are allowed to change ships before January of the year of your advanced program. Am I remembering right?
I know Neurology loses many to IM categorical.

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can resign your position in your advanced match by mid January, but only if you've decided not to pursue that field any more or if you have a "personal Hardship". Finding a better spot is not allowed. From the NRMO website:

An applicant who matched to an advanced or fellowship position also may request a waiver if he/she has elected to change specialties, provided the waiver is requested no later than the January 15 prior to the start of training in the advanced or fellowship program.

buckley

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks APD, it was your post I was actually recalling!

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Locutus of Board. :laugh: