change for the good is coming?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klaurent02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.pharmaciststeve.com/?p=2760

"The Oregon State Board of Pharmacy adopted a new rule addressing the operation of Oregon pharmacies to ensure patient safety. Following is a summary of the significant provisions or OAR855-041-1166:
1. Prohibits advertising or soliciting that may jeopardize patient health, safety, or welfare.
2. Prohibits advertising that is false, fraudulent, deceptive or misleading.
3. Prohibits the outlet from incenting or inducing the transfer of a prescription absent professional rationale.
4. Requires the outlet to provide sufficient personnel to prevent fatigue, distractions, or conditions that interfere with a pharmacist's ability to practice safely.
5. Requires the outlet to provide opportunities for uninterrupted rest periods and meal breaks.
6. Requires the outlet to provide adequate time for a pharmacist to complete professional duties and responsibilities; and
7. Prohibits introduction of external factors such as productivity quotas or programs such as time limits that interfere with the pharmacist's ability to provide appropriate professional services."

Definitely a step in the right direction. Word needs to get out about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Oregon is the new California.

http://www.pharmaciststeve.com/?p=2760

"The Oregon State Board of Pharmacy adopted a new rule addressing the operation of Oregon pharmacies to ensure patient safety. Following is a summary of the significant provisions or OAR855-041-1166:
1. Prohibits advertising or soliciting that may jeopardize patient health, safety, or welfare.
2. Prohibits advertising that is false, fraudulent, deceptive or misleading.
3. Prohibits the outlet from incenting or inducing the transfer of a prescription absent professional rationale.
4. Requires the outlet to provide sufficient personnel to prevent fatigue, distractions, or conditions that interfere with a pharmacist’s ability to practice safely.
5. Requires the outlet to provide opportunities for uninterrupted rest periods and meal breaks.
6. Requires the outlet to provide adequate time for a pharmacist to complete professional duties and responsibilities; and
7. Prohibits introduction of external factors such as productivity quotas or programs such as time limits that interfere with the pharmacist’s ability to provide appropriate professional services."

Definitely a step in the right direction. Word needs to get out about this.

This looks good, any thoughts?

Oregon is the new California.

What does this mean?

Members don't see this ad :)
The only one out of all those rules that might actually do anything is the lunch break... I mean we need something more concrete than just say "provide enough help"... How much help is considered "enough"? Let's have an actual number. And what "outlet" are they referring to?

No one is going to enforce those rules. Too broad. A drunk corporate lawyer can easily win an argument with those vague ass rules.

I think #7 is good. #4 is very vague. I had a similar thought as a student for our state association to lobby for such a bill, but the state association did not want to take this up. Unfortunately, chains in many states help the state associations monetarily, so the state associations do not want to lose that type of support

4. Requires the outlet to provide sufficient personnel to prevent fatigue, distractions, or conditions that interfere with a pharmacist’s ability to practice safely.
6. Requires the outlet to provide adequate time for a pharmacist to complete professional duties and responsibilities;

Sounds great.... however, its all about interpretation..... When I was at Rite Aid, "uninterrupted meal/rest break" on a 12 hour shift was considered a sin if you went over 5 mins.... I think some people are finally reallizing that we are humans too. But... Honestly,the only way to accomplish the above is to mandate that the pharmacy be CLOSED for 1/2 hour-

As an Oregon resident and one that works for a retail chain I can tell you that all these rules are not followed. As many of you have pointed out, they are very vague and subject to interpretation. My current pharmacy is not running with enough staff by any means and they do not plan to give any more tech hours to help out. They are lucky I am extra labor to them. I will say that the mandatory lunch break is not enforced but some pharmacist are more diligent about taking it than others. I agree that each company just needs to set a time that the pharmacy is closed and stick with it. That keeps customers happy because it is the same time each day.

then thats the point where you report it to the bop

If they want any real change they need to have a more concrete law, not something ambiguous. They should set a minimum tech staffing amount per average number of scripts done or something like that. Without clear definitions and expectations nothing will really get done.

But... Honestly,the only way to accomplish the above is to mandate that the pharmacy be CLOSED for 1/2 hour-

Target closes the pharmacy window for 30 min at lunch time....I don't see why others cannot do the same.

Worthless posturing. Who do you think determins what is "reasonable"? Most State Pharmacy rules and regs state the same thing. Texas does. Hasn't made a bit of difference here.

The only one out of all those rules that might actually do anything is the lunch break... I mean we need something more concrete than just say "provide enough help"... How much help is considered "enough"? Let's have an actual number. And what "outlet" are they referring to?

In NC, the law is no more than 150rx/RPh/8 hour shift... needless to say, it's not enforced at all.

In FL the law is 1:2 RPh:Tech or 1:3 (with the BOP's permission). Needless to say, it's not enforced at all.
In NY you get around it since cashiers, clerks, etc. don't count. If you say somebody is one of those things rather than a tech, you're good. Interns don't count toward the total either, but they have their own limits on how many interns a store can take.