Change in career path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled at a community college and hopefully will have a 3.3-3.4 GPA after this semester. I have taken Chem 1 & 2, Bio 1, Eng 1 & 2,Speech, and Alg. This summer I am transfering to St. Pete College which used to be a junior college but now offers bachelor degrees in about 4 or 5 areas. I have been working as a certified pharmacy tech now for a year and a half and have been pretty set on being a clinical pharmacist. I love the pharmacy profession but recently I have been considering going the physician route. My question is am I out of the running to be excepted to a med school if I have taken some of my science pre-req. at a community college? I have heard debates whether or not they look down upon my schooling. I think the reason I love clinical pharmacy so much is that there is a lot of patient contact and I could actually use all the stuff I learned in pharm school. But lately I think that I would trully be happier if I became a physician where I can have a lot more patient contact. Any inputs would help a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Tough one. Retail pharmacy right now(dont do clinical and it barely exists anyway) has a lot of positive points. I'd rather do a few fields in medicine though over retail pharm, mainly for the money and job security differences 15 years from now.

No, you certainly wouldn't be out of the running if you've taken a few prereqs at a CC. The problem is you aren't doing very well. Algebra??

I think that getting into pharmacy school is actually going to be a longshot. If you are really into patient contact, I think you should look at moving into a bachelor of science in nursing(Rn) degree. Nothing but patient contact. Good luck.

thanks for your reply but I am sort of confused about your opinion on me not doing well. I am only in my second semester and you have to take college algebra before you take pre-calc. w/trig. and then calc. 1. It is a pre-req type thing. I absolutely am not interested in being a nurse though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Southern Belle is trolling you! Don't worry if the ADCOMs don't like your community college courses what you should do is take upper level science courses like Biochemistry, Genetics, and Microbiology and prove that you can handle the sciences there. Then do a great job on the MCAT and you will get into med school. There will always be another chance to prove that you can handle the material. If all else fails you can get continue into Masters level coursework and get admitted after that.

TripleDegree said:
Has this happened before?

Once about 2 months ago I made a parody post mocking gunners. Apparently that brands you a troll forever. No big deal; people end up reading whatever treads and posters they want anyway.

PharmDr. said:
thanks for your reply but I am sort of confused about your opinion on me not doing well. I am only in my second semester and you have to take college algebra before you take pre-calc. w/trig. and then calc. 1. It is a pre-req type thing. I absolutely am not interested in being a nurse though.

You yourself said that you were hoping for a 3.3. A 3.3 in cc introductory classes isn't doing well by medical school admissions standards. I don't how else to put it.

College algebra: I think you'll find that even most non-gunners were decent enough high school math students that they started off in at least precalc in college. I was a total non-gunner in high school and I started off in calc1. Most high school gunners would probably AP/BC calc in high school. It's just such an introductory class; that's all.

southbell - the crazy thing is there are going to be about 100 people that will be your classmates next year! ( or will there be??? )that should make us all concerned :laugh:

southbelle said:
You yourself said that you were hoping for a 3.3. A 3.3 in cc introductory classes isn't doing well by medical school admissions standards. I don't how else to put it.

Well PharmDr you've got to ramp up to a four year college and keep going with your sciences. You are definitely not out of the game yet but it will be a long haul. You probably know already if you have the capacity to handle the demanding, higher level coursework.

I know a woman who started out at a community college and transferred to get her degree from Georgetown so I know it can be done.