Change in Manuscript Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcliff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of interviews, and I recently had a manuscript (my first) go from under review to accepted. What's the protocol for letting schools know, and also what's the protocol for citing on my CV. Can I call it a peer reviewed publication since it's been accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know the protocol, but yes, you can list it as a peer reviewed publication. Just note that it's in "accepted" status and what that specific status is, be it accepted with minor revisions or whatever.

I just had a publication go from under review to accepted as well. I didn't do anything. I don't think they care, would be my guess. During one interview I talked about that research and mentioned publications associated with it and noted that the manuscript was recently accepted, but that's it. I wouldn't bring it up myself. But that's just me. It also isn't my first, so maybe I just care less.

Once all things are set to go, I just change it to "in press" on my CV.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar situation this year during post-doc/job interviews -- a manuscript went from "in press" to actually published. I had already sent in an older published work, and although this newer one was better and more relevant, imo, my TD advised against "making more work" for sites by sending them another piece. Because I had already listed the manuscript as "in press" he thought it unnecessary to formally advise the sites of the change. So, hopefully you've already listed this one as "under review," and can now change it to "in print." Double check the APA pub manual for correct language.

Since it's my first pub, I'm more inclined to send a new CV to my schools just in case it comes down to whether or not an applicant is actually published (not just under review). Before I move it from the 'under review' tab of my CV to a 'peer reviewed publications' heading, I wanted to make sure that I could consider it a peer reviewed pub after it was accepted, not necessarily when it's published.

I had a similar thing happen when I was applying to grad school. I sent an update and people received it well (got emails congratulating me) but I don't think it made a difference in application decisions. If it's your first accepted publication that is a big deal, imo.

First things first, Congrats! Getting your first publication is a milestone. As long as the final version has been accepted you could change the status to "in press" on your CV, and be sure to list the journal. You can also drop an email (with your revised CV) to any PIs that you're applying to work with. Personally, I don't think it would matter to me if one of my current applicants contacted me now to update a publication (fyi, after you've been selected for an interview, many faculty will never look at your paper application again). If it was accepted in a very good journal, then this may sway things a bit in your favor. If in a medium/lower tier journal then probably not. Either way, I don't think it will hurt you.

Since it's my first pub, I'm more inclined to send a new CV to my schools just in case it comes down to whether or not an applicant is actually published (not just under review). Before I move it from the 'under review' tab of my CV to a 'peer reviewed publications' heading, I wanted to make sure that I could consider it a peer reviewed pub after it was accepted, not necessarily when it's published.

You definitely can. Everyone lists in press/accepted pubs on their CVs if they have them. I wouldn't send a whole new CV but rather a brief email to my POIs notifying them on the acceptance, especially because it's your first peer-reviewed publication. Congrats! :)