Changed from wanting PhD to MD. Problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seldon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
During the summer after my sophomore year, I decided that I wanted to be an MD instead of a PhD. I kicked my ass into gear and got ahold of a neuro-oncologist at my university's medical school. I then started doing clinical research for him. This semester, I moved the the medical school (other side of the state), set up a bunch of volunteering, and started work on my MCAT. I should have ~240 hours of clinical, ~110 hours of nonclinical, and I'm first author of 3 project (all publishable).

My question is, will this sudden burst of application worthy material reflect poorly on me? I obviously can't show the same amount of commitment as someone who started with MD in mind, but I've clearly done all I can with the given time. I also don't want to appear disingenuous (having done all of my volunteering just before my application). I genuinely enjoy the volunteering, but, when I was thinking PhD, research was the focus.

Finally, my original PI and I didn't get along well, so I've decided not to include him as a reference. I have 8 others I can ask, so I'm not short of good recs., but will medical schools be concerned about his absence? Thank you!

I'm sorry for the long post. Thank you for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, why not an MD/PhD?
I thought about it, but I decided that I didn't really like wet-bench research. I love research, but the actual practice of research just isn't for me. Now that I'm doing clinical research, I can see that it's what I really wanted and you don't need a PhD to do it.

Reactions: 4 users
For some people, the path to Medicine is revolutionary. You're fine. Just show off your altruism.
My volunteering consists of ER, MOW, tutoring, and I think I'm going to be an actor in the med school's sim center (don't know about that yet). I'm also trying to set up palliative care experience (I'm really interested in that and I'm going to be doing a project of my state during the summer on it. )Do you think I need to further emphasize my altruism?

Edit: Tutoring/volunteering for a poorly performing highschool in an underserved community (just for clarification).

Last edited:
You should be OK
My volunteering consists of ER, MOW, tutoring, and I think I'm going to be an actor in the med school's sim center (don't know about that yet). I'm also trying to set up palliative care experience (I'm really interested in that and I'm going to be doing a project of my state during the summer on it. )Do you think I need to further emphasize my altruism?

Reactions: 1 users
I thought about it, but I decided that I didn't really like wet-bench research. I love research, but the actual practice of research just isn't for me. Now that I'm doing clinical research, I can see that it's what I really wanted and you don't need a PhD to do it.

Just wanted to say that I enjoy it when students really have the insight to evaluate what they like and want from a career. The MD/PhD path isn't for everyone (though if you don't mind the pain it can be fun lol)

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to say that I enjoy it when students really have the insight to evaluate what they like and want from a career. The MD/PhD path isn't for everyone (though if you don't mind the pain it can be fun lol)
Thank you. It took a lot of introspection and back and forth, but I think it's the right decision for me.

Reactions: 1 user
If it helps at all, this may be my exact story and path (from changing my mind sophomore summer, to not getting reference from my first PI), and I have been successful this cycle. You're going to do great! Best of luck!
You seem to have been extremely successful this cycle, based on you bio. Would you mind if I PM'd about where you applied and your stats?

Lol the title sounds so confrontational.

Nah it's good man...I'm not looking for any trouble. Go ahead and be MD. Just don't hurt me :nailbiting::scared:

Reactions: 3 users
Lol the title sounds so confrontational.

Nah it's good man...I'm not looking for any trouble. Go ahead and be MD. Just don't hurt me :nailbiting::scared:
Now that I read it, it does sound a bit like I'm a heavy in the mafia. :)

I'm sorry to keep bothering everyone, but I have another question. I'm an Oregon resident and I want to apply to OHSU. I've read that OHSU is fond of older and more mature applicants who can show commitment. Given that I am applying with blunted ECs and I made such a drastic shift, do I still have a chance at OHSU? Thanks again for all of the help.