Changes at Indiana University??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Galvanic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have more information about this? I don't know too much about what is going on there other than what I was told by a member of the department. There seems to be a contentious debate that has created alot of upset in the department regarding big changes to the surgical pathology rotation. This would definitely help me out in ranking, PM me if you don't want to post. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

sounds like you interviewed there, so i would suggest emailing one of the residents you met and/or the chief resident and asked them your question.

The possible change to the surgical pathology rotation is the location of signout - at Methodist Hospital vs. Clarian Pathology Laboratory. Starting in November, we have been signing out at Methodist. Discussion on the matter with the program director and surg path faculty is ongoing. Everything else is the same with the surg path rotation, with a three-day schedule of #1 frozens at IU, #2 grossing at CPL, and #3 signout at CPL or Methodist. Faculty have been responsive to resident wants in the past, so the general concensus from residents is that signout will go back to CPL soon. I hope this helps! PM me with any specific questions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The possible change to the surgical pathology rotation is the location of signout - at Methodist Hospital vs. Clarian Pathology Laboratory. Residents want signout to stay at CPL, although starting in November we have been signing out at Methodist. Discussion on the matter with the program director and surg path faculty is ongoing. Everything else is the same with the surg path rotation, with a three-day schedule of #1 frozens at IU, #2 grossing at CPL, and #3 signout at CPL or Methodist. Faculty has been responsive to resident wants in the past, so the general concensus is that signout will go back to CPL soon. I hope this helps! PM me with any specific questions.

is Liang still there? rumor had it he was leaving for MGH, like the rest of the world (sorry, i'm still upset Jennifer Hunt left Clev Clinic...)

is Liang still there? rumor had it he was leaving for MGH, like the rest of the world (sorry, i'm still upset Jennifer Hunt left Clev Clinic...)

Yep, Dr. Cheng is still at IU. I haven't heard any rumors that he will be leaving.

I have nothing much to add to Pianoboe01's description of the situation. We are essentially undertaking a trial-month of sign-out taking place in a new location, where the resident will cover occasional frozen sections in addition to sign-out. In the past, the faculty and program director have been tremendously responsive to resident input on such changes and our requests have been strongly considered. I expect that either the rotation will revert to its original location, or adjustments will be made to the new location to address any concerns.

I think the IU program is excellent and includes a large volume and diversity of surgical specimens, with extremely reasonable working hours. Particularly, there is a wealth of genitourinary and pancreatic/biliary surgery, in addition to the usual GI, GYN, breast, etc. seen in a private practice setting. Other subspecialties, such as transplant, pediatric and neuropathology are also quite strong. CP is also good, although I am AP biased.

Anyhow, I am extremely happy with the IU program (as I think most/all of us are) and would encourage applicants to give us serious consideration.

Good luck with applications - I hope that helps,
Sean Williamson, PGY2

Last edited:
I second the above comments. As a second year resident I feel pretty confident with my training. There's alot to know and it helps that we have a huge volume and endless resources at our disposal. I can't think of any faculty that wouldn't go beyond their way to help a resident or fellow faculty. We usually have several pathology parties and outings each year and overall my experience has been positive. I feel very lucky to do my training at a place like IU.