2022 CertLink Changes (AbPath CC--[formerly MOC])

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

univlad

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Certlink history has been wiped and the new changes are in effect for 2022.

To me the biggest changes are the minimum passing score of 60%. I guess I'll try a little harder on the questions but never really fell anywhere close the 60% pass rate before.

The other change that was announced was that payment will be due each year. I haven't quite figured out how this change is going to implemented. I did the Q1 Certlink questions already for Q1 2022 and it didn't ask for payment and my MOC reporting form isn't due until 2023. Will they send a bill at the end of this year? Do we just continue to pay when submitting the MOC reporting for every other year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is what was noted on the website. Now it mentions "two quality assurance activities are required during a two-year reporting period instead of one per year". I usually just use the cytology proficiency testing each year. I wonder if taking it each year during a two year period will still count as two activities? Maybe I will sign up for CheckPath just in case.

-------------------------------------------------
Changes to the ABPath Continuing Certification Program in 2022

October 11, 2021 - The American Board of Pathology (ABPath) is pleased to announce changes to the Continuing Certification (CC) Program beginning January 2022. The changes reflect the ABPath’s commitment to the continuous professional development of board-certified pathologists with a flexible program to meet the needs of today’s busy physicians.

The CC Program has two main requirements for maintaining certification: quarterly participation in ABPath CertLink® and submission of biennial reporting forms.

Here are the important changes effective January 2022:

• All diplomates enrolled in the CC Program must participate in ABPath CertLink (ABPCL). This will be the only option for meeting the CC Assessment requirement for maintaining certification. ABPCL is the online longitudinal assessment to facilitate learning and identify knowledge gaps that was previously a pilot program.
• ABPath will no longer administer a 10-year Continuing Certification exam.
• The expected performance standard for ABPCL will be 60% correct or greater, cumulative over four years.
• Two quality assurance activities are required during a two-year reporting period instead of one per year.
• The annual $150 CC Program fee will be due by December 31st of each year.

The goal of the ABPath’s Continuing Certification (CC) Program is to support our diplomates in keeping their skills and knowledge up-to-date and identifying knowledge gaps for improvement. CC is a credential that demonstrates a diplomate’s commitment to professionalism, lifelong learning, and improving health and healthcare. The CC Program aligns with our mission to promote the lifelong competency of pathologists. While the CC Program is not required for non-time-limited diplomates, they are welcome and encouraged to participate.

For more details on the CC Program changes, see the updated 2022 CC Booklet of Information coming soon on our website at www.abpath.org.
-------------------------------------------------

To me the biggest changes are the minimum passing score of 60%. I guess I'll try a little harder on the questions but never really fell anywhere close the 60% pass rate before.

The other change that was announced was that payment will be due each year. I haven't quite figured out how this change is going to implemented. I did the Q1 Certlink questions already for Q1 2022 and it didn't ask for payment and my MOC reporting form isn't due until 2023. Will they send a bill at the end of this year? Do we just continue to pay when submitting the MOC reporting for every other year?
The CC fees (formerly MOC) went from 50 to 150 and now an additional fee for Certlink too ?

Btw any hospital or departmental committee with a quality improvement goal (Tissue committee, PCMC, transfusion committee, M&M, etc) will qualify for the 2nd QA requirement. Really seems like literally any committee will work

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I thought I read that the 60% pass rate includes initial attempt "and follow-up attempt"...? If so there's no reason anyone should be <100%.

From their FAQ:

What is a passing score?​

You must correctly answer 60% of the questions presented, either the initial question or clone.

Last edited:
I thought I read that the 60% pass rate includes initial attempt "and follow-up attempt"...? If so there's no reason anyone should be <100%.

From their FAQ:

You must correctly answer 60% of the questions presented, either the initial question or clone.
Previously if you got a question wrong it would show up again in a future question set. I'm guessing that's what they mean by clone, not the immediate followup. Still, with four years of cumulative attempts, no one should be failing recert. Then everyone gets to look good for jumping hoops and ABP can collect a nice little stipend.

Reactions: 2 users
For Certlink, the thing you have to watch out for is that if you miss a quarter, it scores all those questions as wrong and will calculate into your overall percentage.

Previously if you got a question wrong it would show up again in a future question set. I'm guessing that's what they mean by clone, not the immediate followup. Still, with four years of cumulative attempts, no one should be failing recert. Then everyone gets to look good for jumping hoops and ABP can collect a nice little stipend.
ah that makes sense now.

I thought I read that the 60% pass rate includes initial attempt "and follow-up attempt"...? If so there's no reason anyone should be
From their FAQ:

Of course. It’s sole purpose is to make money and provide a sap to the ABMS and the public. Zero surprise.

Reactions: 1 user
The new system is up now. You will be required to log in yearly to pay the annual fee rather than just every two years to fill out the form.