Army Changes to Army MEDCOM/DENTAC command

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rlow04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just watched a video about changes to the command structure of Dentistry in the Army:

http://www.dvidshub.net/video/368118/dental-transformation#.VEWxw6ZHbCS

What do these changes mean? My first thought is that there's a chance we could be reporting to non-dentists, which may or may not be a good thing. Also, I wonder how this will affect budgets.

In reality I have no clue, just looking for an understanding of why and what this means for an about-to-graduate HPSP student.

Members don't see this ad.

Previously all levels of dental command reported to a dentist with the exception of the DENCOM Commander who reported directly to The Surgeon General. Now the dental regional commanders will report to the medical regional commanders (a 1 or 2 star general) who may or may not be a dentist.

We have not heard of any changes (nor would I expect to since what we do has not changed) to funding.

Already we are seeing more commands within Army Medicine opened up to all types of medical (including dentists). This will mean that dentists could be running health clinics and hospitals as well as dental clinics. At the present time dental commands are not open for any other type of medical officer, however in the future this could change. Currently both the Air Force and Navy function in this manner.

Great, thanks for the response. It sounds like a good thing for those who want to pursue a career in Army dentistry. More room to move up.