Changes to HPSP payback?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathophysiologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’ve heard that at least for the navy, they are changing the payback rules for HPSP. Instead of IRR after ADSO, people who entered service after 2020 are now required to serve in the active reserves for two years. I’ve also heard that they can retroactively change everyone else’s contract and force people to go into the active reserves rather than IRR?

Is there any truce to what I am hearing? Does this apply to all branches?

Members don't see this ad.

Source?

If the above is true, is ‘entered service’ the start of active duty or when the contract was signed?

Saw this on the dental form.

I don’t know hence I am asking.

These are good questions though. I think I saw a similar thread on Reddit talking about forcing people to go into active reserves rather than IRR. Also not sure if it’s just the navy.

But I find it unlikely for them to retroactively change someone’s contract

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy suckfest batman! All the more reason to steer clear of HPSP/milmed. Glad I separated last year.

I am not sure how accurate this is. Hence I am asking if anyone knows what’s really going on.

I would be surprised if this was true. The Navy is already having trouble recruiting for HPSP, so this will absolutely NOT help with that.

Look at your contract that you signed. If your contract says you owe 4 years of IRR, they cannot change that. If they subtly changed your contract and you didn’t read it before you signed it, that’s on you. But go back and see what you signed and if someone tries to tell you different then show them your paperwork and go from there.

Also, just so everyone is on the same page, your intern year counts towards your IRR time. If you are trying to owe your minimum time by doing GMO and out, you’ll end up serving 5 years active duty (intern year + 4 year ADSO) and will owe 3 years on IRR. Your intern year doesn’t count towards your active duty service obligation, but per your contract, you owe 8 years once you commission, which is the start of intern year so it’ll cut a year out of the IRR requirement.

If you do a typical 3 year residency, and then your 4 year ADSO, you’ll only owe 1 year of IRR time. So even if this was true for the future, it wouldn’t impact anyone who did a straight through residency.

Last edited:
I see the good idea fairies have found the stash of Popov.

Talked with my CMC today. Contacts apparently 2020 and after have 4/2/2 phrasing with 4 years active, 2 years active reserve and 2 years IRR (versus 4 active, 4 IRR). Enlisted and Officer contracts. He also said the Navy enforces if manning is low in that particular job. He didn’t know how this affects MOs or whether waivers etc are possible. Would like to hear from anyone caught with this.

Edit: correction of autocorrect

Reactions: 1 user
Talked with my CMC today. Contacts apparently 2020 and after have 4/2/2 phrasing with 4 years active, 2 years active reserve and 2 years IRR (versus 4 active, 4 IRR). Enlisted and Officer contracts. He also said the Navy enforces if manning is low in that particular job. He didn’t know how this affects MOs or whether waivers etc are possible. Would like to hear from anyone caught with this.

Edit: correction of autocorrect

That’s the key, read your contract. My contract clearly stated 4 years active, 4 years IRR. Upon separation at 6 years 9 months, my separation orders stated I owed time in the US Navy Reserve to finish out my 8 years. I called the reserve office to clarify what that meant, and the IRR is part of the USNR so that’s where I went. No active reserves.

They tried to recruit me to volunteer for active reserves instead of IRR but when I told them my specialty was pediatrics they basically told me they didn’t have any incentive offers for my specialty (aka, they didn’t want me). When the recruiter realized this, they were embarrassed and it ended the conversation pretty quickly.

That’s the key, read your contract. My contract clearly stated 4 years active, 4 years IRR. Upon separation at 6 years 9 months, my separation orders stated I owed time in the US Navy Reserve to finish out my 8 years. I called the reserve office to clarify what that meant, and the IRR is part of the USNR so that’s where I went. No active reserves.

They tried to recruit me to volunteer for active reserves instead of IRR but when I told them my specialty was pediatrics they basically told me they didn’t have any incentive offers for my specialty (aka, they didn’t want me). When the recruiter realized this, they were embarrassed and it ended the conversation pretty quickly.
I am interested in how this might affect HPSP. Would be a nasty surprise if I found out that I had to serve in the active reserves after leaving AC. I wonder how many applicants know what this really means.

HPSP folks can easily get around this by just doing 1 year extra as a GMO. Intern year + 5 years as a GMO = 6 years. Then do your final 2 as IRR.

For those doing straight through training with your standard 3 year residency, you’ll be at 7 years active duty total by the time you finish your commitment so you won’t owe any active reserves time. Just 1 year IRR.

Last edited: