Changes to TCOM Grading System

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LChristmas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Class of 2020 is going to be the first class for the new grading policy.

Currrently it is A = 90-100%, B = 80-89%, C = 70-79%, F <70%. The new system will be Honors (H), Pass (P), Fail (F). They haven't released the parameters for what will be H/P/F, but my guess is H = 90-100%, P = 70-89%, and F = <70%.

I think it is a good change and wish it was happening a year earlier!

Source

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Ya that would be nice if it was happening this year. Did you take a look at our schedule yet? Deep breath…

Yeah I checked it out earlier. Looks like they're going to make us actually work for our degree... bummer

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I checked it out earlier. Looks like they're going to make us actually work for our degree... bummer

What's the story behind the change? I'm assuming the dean made this executive decision but do you know the rationale for it? I wish KCU was going to do this.

I'm curious as to why you think this is a "good change?"

What's the story behind the change? I'm assuming the dean made this executive decision but do you know the rationale for it? I wish KCU was going to do this.
I really have no idea what the rationale is. To speculate, I heard they had a problem in the past with people griping over points to get a B vs. C, so this might alleviate some of those headaches as well. I just stumbled upon the page while I was looking for something else and found it interesting.
I'm curious as to why you think this is a "good change?"
I had a wise person once tell me that people only care if you are in the top 10% or bottom 10% of your class. The grades we earn should reflect this. I think it will also allow students to focus on the bigger picture as opposed to feeling obligated to study minutiae in order to get the letter grade they want. The goal, after all, is for us to become competent physcians, not trivia experts. I also like H/P/F better than a P/F system because it rewards students who put in the effort to score above 90%, but doesn't punish someone for having an off day. I think a lot of people would rather get a P instead of a C in some of the notoriously difficult topics like neuro.

Last edited:

My understanding is that he basically approved a recommendation by the curriculum committee (this committee has two student representatives).

Interesting. I think they are trying to become more like the other medical schools. H/P/F does encourage more "learning" for step board exams since students won't be as preoccupied learning all the small details for in class exams. Maybe the administration isn't happy with class board averages??

COMLEX performance has been going down since Dubin left (90% of the people I knew in my class couldn't care less), but I've heard this is more of a matter of keeping up with the general trend, since a majority of Texas schools have gone P/F.

Reactions: 1 users