Changing address on resume to local address

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bacillus1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to relocate to Philly and been applying to a few jobs, all with rejections. One area for "improvement" some people I know have identified on my resume is that it does not list a Philly area address, and therefore employers aren't even looking at it. I could put my parents' or grandma's address, but just wondering how this would work. Isn't it obvious that I don't currently work in Philly based on my current position on my resume? Am I just screwed and will never get hired? To clarify, I do have a PA pharmacist license and it is listed on my resume.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, put a local address. Heck, fake a local address is fine too. You could always update later.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, put a local address. Heck, fake a local address is fine too. You could always update later.

But how do I explain that I currently work nowhere near that local address?

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to relocate to Philly and been applying to a few jobs, all with rejections. One area for "improvement" some people I know have identified on my resume is that it does not list a Philly area address, and therefore employers aren't even looking at it. I could put my parents' or grandma's address, but just wondering how this would work. Isn't it obvious that I don't currently work in Philly based on my current position on my resume? Am I just screwed and will never get hired? To clarify, I do have a PA pharmacist license and it is listed on my resume.
I never put an address on my resume. Just the town and state.

I travel to visit my parents every other a month and I want to move to the area permanently... Heck, make up something.

You just need them to invite you in for an interview once.

I never put an address on my resume. Just the town and state.

But even if I do that, the town and state will be different what they are looking for. Guess I'll do what Momus said...since that is actually true.

Find a building that has suites and go 1 over the number of suites then file a change of address with the USPS.

Be creative.....

I literally made this thread to have some creative ideas about it, so please clarify.

Is this a real thing? I've only relocate one time for work... I get that it makes sense for a quick hire but for a specialty position, I would think it would be even less important

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I've been told it is, at least in the private sector...they don't want to deal with a relocation timeline. Not sure how else to explain why I'm not getting any callbacks in Philly. I don't think they care within the federal government as much, as the hiring timeline is so slow, but I'm trying to pursue both right now. Who knows, maybe it's the universe telling me to be patient until a federal job opens up there...just very discouraged since I've literally been waiting since 2013.

I have not put my address on my resume/CV...however I was forced to enter in the electronic application.
I wrote a cover letter that stated I currently hold an active license in that state and that I am able to relocate for the position in 2 weeks....whether or not that is true or you can extend it out with delaying your answer to an offer , etc.
I have also gone so far as to say I would fly out for a face to face interview at my expense if necessary...

This seemed to get calls /interviews and level the playing field with competition in that particular state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not put my address on my resume/CV...however I was forced to enter in the electronic application.
I wrote a cover letter that stated I currently hold an active license in that state and that I am able to relocate for the position in 2 weeks....whether or not that is true or you can extend it out with delaying your answer to an offer , etc.
I have also gone so far as to say I would fly out for a face to face interview at my expense if necessary...

This seemed to get calls /interviews and level the playing field with competition in that particular state.

Yep I do that on my cover letter. However, the last 2 jobs I applied to didn't even have a space to upload a cover letter.

Be creative.....
I literally made this thread to have some creative ideas about it, so please clarify.

List two addresses on your CV/Resume - a temporary address (your left coast one) and your permanent address (your parents house).

If you have plans to move back east, your current address is indeed temporary [reasonable people can disagree exactly what 'temporary' means...and you aren't lying]. If you play it like this: don't expect any help with relocation funds.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
List two addresses on your CV/Resume - a temporary address (your left coast one) and your permanent address (your parents house).

If you have plans to move back east, your current address is indeed temporary [reasonable people can disagree exactly what 'temporary' means...and you aren't lying]. If you play it like this: don't expect any help with relocation funds.

Good luck

I'm actually on the East Coast now and have been for almost 3 years...in Baltimore. Not the most pleasant city to live. Seems like no one pays relocation anyway, so that might be a good idea. Unlike my last job, I am in no rush to leave, just can't see myself staying here forever and feel like I'm wasting my early 30s in this city.

UPS offers local addresses (not a PO box) for a reasonable price. We went that route prior to moving just to start forwarding mail while we found a place to rent. I already had a job, so I didn't get to test putting it on my resume.

Are cover letters still a thing? I have never included one and never been required to include one in an application. Seems like you basically regurgitate what is on your resume.

UPS offers local addresses (not a PO box) for a reasonable price. We went that route prior to moving just to start forwarding mail while we found a place to rent. I already had a job, so I didn't get to test putting it on my resume.
This is overkill for what he wants to do. He just needs an address to put on a resume. Just make one up or use a family or friends. He is not expecting to receive any mail.

Put an end date for your recent position on the resume. They want know you still work there unless you tell them. And if they don't ask you don't bring it up. A general rule of thumb is not to volunteer more information than what is asked of you.

Put an end date for your recent position on the resume. They want know you still work there unless you tell them. And if they don't ask you don't bring it up.

Lying on your resume is a very bad idea. It's the number one reason to get disqualified.
90 Percent of Interviewers Would Disqualify a Job Candidate for This 1 Reason

I don't see how representing yourself as unemployed could possible be a benefit. That would imply you either quit in a rage without a backup plan or were fired; and it would remove your ability to negotiate a higher salary. When human resources goes to verify employment history, any mismatch between what is on the application package and what your previous employer states would likely lead to immediate disqualification. If it isn't discovered until after you're hired, it would lead to immediate termination. It is far better to accurately represent yourself as currently employed.

The address is also very important. What happens when human resources sends you to LabCorp in one city based off your address for a urine drug screen and you are a hundred miles away at work? The fake address would be apparent and create problems when they do background checks, run a credit report, and look at your license. In Pennsylvania, you have to report address changes within 10 days to the board of pharmacy.

Here's what I would do: Put your current Maryland address on your application. Remove your address from the resume (it's not relevant to work experience anyway). In your cover letter, make it clear you are available for an onsite interview. Describe your move as if it is already an inevitable fact, something like: "I am available for an onsite interview throughout January. In preparation for relocating back home to Philadelphia to be with my family in the middle of February, I have obtained a Pennsylvania pharmacist license." This actually makes you a strong candidate, since you are moving for a great reason (to be with family), instead of some reason like you don't like your boss, you're not paid enough, or some other reason that reflects poorly on your or your previous employer.

As a non-local candidate, you will be at a disadvantage. But I have gotten plenty of prescreens and even two interviews from 2000-3000 miles away. The first conversation usually is designed to find out whether I'm currently employed, why I am not employed or why I am leaving my current job, where I am physically located, why I want to move, and what ties I have to the local area (i.e. am I a flight risk?). Just have confident answers about your strong ties to Philadelphia and how you love your current job, but for family reasons you have to move, but that it's also no big deal to move, because you need to be in Philadelphia. If you own a home in Maryland, have an explanation ready that makes it clear that your move to Philadelphia is not dependent on selling your Maryland place. "I already sold my home and am currently living in a month-to-month rental -- that's how committed I am to moving to Philadelphia."

Yep I do that on my cover letter. However, the last 2 jobs I applied to didn't even have a space to upload a cover letter.

If there's no dedicated cover letter space, I create one document that contains both my cover letter and resume and upload it in the space for the resume.

Last edited:
Look - putting the wrong address on a resume is no ones business. It means nothing.

Do not lie on your work history, licenses, or accomplishments - this will get you in hot water.

I would not use a fake address that's lying. I WOULD however get a PO box in the city and use it as your address. The # for the PO box list as apartment. It's not lying. You just have a VERY small apartment big enough for your hand. I have done this many times very successfully. I have never lied. If someone asks me about my apartment I just tell them it's small and no they can not come see it bc it's embarrassingly small. I WOULD NEVER ADVOCATE LYING unless you are in an emergency situation as almost all lies are eventually found out which may lead to criminal charges, loss of respect of others and the most important is loss of respect for yourself. If you have to lie to someone it means you are scared of them. What do we have to hide? I have been a hiring manager. I'm not going to waste time looking at someone out of town if there is available talent intown. Too much of a HA not worth it at all unless you have something extra special to bring to the table. ALso make sure your PHONE NUMBER is local as well. IDC if you have to get a google voice or burner phone. You need to tell A COHESIVE STORY. any red flags and it gets tossed in seconds.

i'm a firm believer that in this new saturation environment you need to do anything to make yourself competitive.

Last edited:
I would not use a fake address that's lying. I WOULD however get a PO box in the city and use it as your address. The # for the PO box list as apartment. It's not lying. You just have a VERY small apartment big enough for your hand. I have done this many times very successfully. I have never lied. If someone asks me about my apartment I just tell them it's small and no they can not come see it bc it's embarrassingly small. I WOULD NEVER ADVOCATE LYING unless you are in an emergency situation as almost all lies are eventually found out which may lead to criminal charges, loss of respect of others and the most important is loss of respect for yourself. If you have to lie to someone it means you are scared of them. What do we have to hide? I have been a hiring manager. I'm not going to waste time looking at someone out of town if there is available talent intown. Too much of a HA not worth it at all unless you have something extra special to bring to the table. ALso make sure your PHONE NUMBER is local as well. IDC if you have to get a google voice or burner phone. You need to tell A COHESIVE STORY. any red flags and it gets tossed in seconds.

i'm a firm believer that in this new saturation environment you need to do anything to make yourself competitive.

Well, my parents' place is only 25 or so miles from the jobs I'm applying for (though in a different state), and my cellphone matches the area code at their address...so believable enough. As far as putting their address and still listing that I work in Baltimore, I guess the employer won't care as long as I can move in with them on a whim whenever the job starts? I have already asked them if I can move in with them while I look for a place locally, if offered a job, and they said yes. I guess I will do that from now on.

It's pretty easy, your permanent address is Philly, but you rent a room in Baltimore for work. You come back to Philly on days off/weekends. You really want a local job. Boom, explained.

Reactions: 2 users
Lying on your resume is a very bad idea. It's the number one reason to get disqualified.
90 Percent of Interviewers Would Disqualify a Job Candidate for This 1 Reason

I don't see how representing yourself as unemployed could possible be a benefit. That would imply you either quit in a rage without a backup plan or were fired; and it would remove your ability to negotiate a higher salary. When human resources goes to verify employment history, any mismatch between what is on the application package and what your previous employer states would likely lead to immediate disqualification. If it isn't discovered until after you're hired, it would lead to immediate termination. It is far better to accurately represent yourself as currently employed.

The address is also very important. What happens when human resources sends you to LabCorp in one city based off your address for a urine drug screen and you are a hundred miles away at work? The fake address would be apparent and create problems when they do background checks, run a credit report, and look at your license. In Pennsylvania, you have to report address changes within 10 days to the board of pharmacy.

Here's what I would do: Put your current Maryland address on your application. Remove your address from the resume (it's not relevant to work experience anyway). In your cover letter, make it clear you are available for an onsite interview. Describe your move as if it is already an inevitable fact, something like: "I am available for an onsite interview throughout January. In preparation for relocating back home to Philadelphia to be with my family in the middle of February, I have obtained a Pennsylvania pharmacist license." This actually makes you a strong candidate, since you are moving for a great reason (to be with family), instead of some reason like you don't like your boss, you're not paid enough, or some other reason that reflects poorly on your or your previous employer.

As a non-local candidate, you will be at a disadvantage. But I have gotten plenty of prescreens and even two interviews from 2000-3000 miles away. The first conversation usually is designed to find out whether I'm currently employed, why I am not employed or why I am leaving my current job, where I am physically located, why I want to move, and what ties I have to the local area (i.e. am I a flight risk?). Just have confident answers about your strong ties to Philadelphia and how you love your current job, but for family reasons you have to move, but that it's also no big deal to move, because you need to be in Philadelphia. If you own a home in Maryland, have an explanation ready that makes it clear that your move to Philadelphia is not dependent on selling your Maryland place. "I already sold my home and am currently living in a month-to-month rental -- that's how committed I am to moving to Philadelphia."

If there's no dedicated cover letter space, I create one document that contains both my cover letter and resume and upload it in the space for the resume.

Thank you, just saw this. I think I could maybe put an "objective" section where I would describe relocation to Philly as a goal. I don't think selling my place or renting it out should be a problem.

Ok with all things said I think renting a P.O. Box is a great idea which could avoid the anxiety of all the issues brought up.

If it were me I would find as remote of a friend, relative, etc as possible and list that address

Call it a mailing address

Are cover letters still a thing? I have never included one and never been required to include one in an application. Seems like you basically regurgitate what is on your resume.
I have never applied to a job without a coverletter option - I reviewed 100+ resumes last year alone - they almost all had cover letters

It's pretty easy, your permanent address is Philly, but you rent a room in Baltimore for work. You come back to Philly on days off/weekends. You really want a local job. Boom, explained.
this x100 - the cities are close enough this is perfectly reasonable.

Make sure your first line in your cover letter states that you are desiring a position to be closer to your permanent address in Philly