Changing careers... advice on prereqs

Started by CaliVS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CaliVS

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! First of all, this forum is extremely informative...so thank you! I'm currently trying to change careers from the business field to PT. My undergraduate degree was in business so I'm lacking basically ALL the prerequisites. Ideally, I want to try to keep my current job while taking the prereq's at a community college However, it's recently been brought to my attention that it's difficult to get into those classes especially when your schedule is limited. Has anyone gone through this? I'd really appreciate any advice. Thank you! 🙂
 
I spent most of the last two years doing the same thing you are doing. I started my DPT program this September and finally was able to quit my job to focus on school.

I was able to get most all of my pre-req classes at night. I took Developmental Psych as an online class, then I was able to take a Saturday class at community college for Anatomy and Physiology. It was hard to be in class from 8a-3pm every Saturday for 16 weeks - but I did it in the winter and I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck to you!
 
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you. I'm a non-traditional student active duty military. So it's hard to know what my schedule is as it fluctuates quite a bit. At first I tried to do it at a 4 yr institution, however that didn't go so well. There the classes were quickly filled up as there are more students and there are very few night classes. Also I didn't get registration priority because I wasn't a degree seeking student. I found that community college was much more flexible. I have not had any probelms getting into classes. I've been taking classes at night and on Saturdays for the past 1 1/2 year now. I only have 3 prereqs left. Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's a business major in my class, and a few non-science majors (myself included). I took the prereqs at a community college, 2 classes per quarter. It took a year and a half or thereabouts. I took all but 3 of the prereqs this way.

Each quarter I took one night class and usually a day class. During this same time I was able to get a job as a rehab aide, and would shadow at a hospital or outpatient clinic once a week on the side to put together a decent range of experiences. I gave myself roughly 2 months advance to study for the GRE, and I retook it one time to improve my quantitative score (after verifying w/the two universities I applied to that they would either average GRE scores or accept the most recent one).

Specifically regarding the prereqs, my advice is to not bite off more than you can chew in terms of taking more prereqs at a time than you can handle. The priority should be basically getting straight A's on them in my opinion. Two classes/quarter was about right for me, although another guy I know took one per quarter even though it took him a lot more time. And of course, if you know you can handle 3/quarter than by all means minimize the time if it will save you a year in applying.

There's a lot of students at community colleges who are perpetually retaking courses to try to improve their scores. Save yourself valuable time and money by staying focused.
 
Thanks eveyone... I really appreciate the advice! I'm so anxious to get the ball rolling but really overwhelmed at the same time! Baby steps...
 
It may be a little tough taking the science prereqs without much science background. I'd recommend not loading up your semester schedule with science classes. It requires a lot of time to do well in these courses. This is one instance where I've had to follow the three hour study time out of class for every hour in class rule. Add to it a four hour weekly chem lab report and the hours add up just for one class alone. Chem and Physics by far have taken up the most time for me.
 
Thanks for that advice... I will definately plan to spread out the sciences so I don't get overwhelmed. I also may have the option to drop my work to part-time which I may do so that I can get some more volunteer hours in.

On that note... I just checked my transcripts from the community college. I took some classes there after earning my degree just for "fun"... but I decided to withdraw from them when my father fell ill..... i missed the deadline for withdrawl for one class so now I have two W's and one F on my transcript!!!!! I'm worried this may really mess up my chance for admission to a PT program 🙁
 
I'm sorry to hear that about your father, but that's why many applications have a portion to explain any grades that may not be up to par.
 
Oh good, I'm not the only one! I have a BA in Dance and am going back to school to take 2 years of prerequisites. I recommend taking them at the same school that you plan to apply to, if possible. It's a great way to make connections! I'm so glad I didn't take them at community college, even though it would have been half the cost and half the commute.