Changing Job during Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Janil411

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I am currently almost done sending out all of my apps, and for my gap year I was originally planning to work part time as a research assistant at the UNC School of Dentistry. They wanted me to start as a volunteer, and when I gained some experience I would then start being paid. However, they didn't give me a firm date when I would start being paid. Last week I also received a job offer to be a sterilization tech for my orthodontist who I shadowed this past year. This job is very flexible so I may be able to do both jobs. But in the event that I can't, and I drop the research job would it look bad, because on my AADSAS app I put my research assistant job as a future work opportunity. Also how should I notify to the schools that I applied to about my new job? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd definitely keep the research assistant job, even if it's a volunteer position. I realize it's tough not to make any money, but having an "in" at the dental school is pretty much invaluable. You're probably going to be working directly with a facility member - not a bad person to have on your side IMO. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'd definitely keep the research assistant job, even if it's a volunteer position. I realize it's tough not to make any money, but having an "in" at the dental school is pretty much invaluable. You're probably going to be working directly with a facility member - not a bad person to have on your side IMO. Good luck!
Yea I totally agree with you and I believe I will be able to but how can I update my app to show my new job. I know in the aadsas app I can technically add new experiences, but is it too late to do that? or should I just mention it in my interviews *knock on wood*.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I totally agree with you and I believe I will be able to but how can I update my app to show my new job. I know in the aadsas app I can technically add new experiences, but is it too late to do that? or should I just mention it in my interviews *knock on wood*.
You mean you can't wait to inform dss of your "new job"? Will you keep informing them every time you change your mind? It is hard to call it a "new experience" when you have not accumulated any in your "new job".

You mean you can't wait to inform dss of your "new job"? Will you keep informing them every time you change your mind? It is hard to call it a "new experience" when you have not accumulated any in your "new job".
Thanks man I didn't think of it that way! I'll just chill for now then haha.