Changing jobs? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisochka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I really need an advice!
Ive been working for Walgreens for 4.5 years, and was an Rxm for about 3 years...
I have been working for about 6 month as a weekend Rph for a pharmacy management company that has a 3 year contract with a little psych hospital. Pic is leaving and they asked me to be the PIC.

Positives:
1) It is probably a promotion for me, right? From Rxm (at Walgreens I report to my store manager) and as a PIC of a hospital pharmacy I report to the CEO of the pharmacy management company...It is a promotion, right? After working there for a couple of years, I probably will be more qualified to be a PIC at another hospital, right?
2) Job is easier and less stressful than Walgreens...I don;t get along with my store manager ...I am tired of retail customers...
3) I like the job. I sit on my butt, talk to nurses, do order verification...

Negatives:
1) The company has a contract with the hospital for 3 years ( I worked already for few months so probably about 2.5 years are left on the contract). If the hospital does not renew the contract with my company then I am out of job...Which can happen... That scares the heck out of me...

2) No 401K match...

3) Long commute and worse insurance than at Walgreens
What would you do if you were me?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd take it. You could always go back to retail.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hard to make a decision without walking in your shoes. Does this place have any other contracts/work aside from this psych hospital? Sounds like you're describing a LTC pharmacy? Why is the PIC leaving?

I think it depends on how much you truly hate Walgreens. If one of the biggest issues your store manager, perhaps try transferring to a different store.

If you fear that this new gig's future is really up in the air, i wouldn't do it. I'd wait till something more stable comes a long and keep working there perdiem also if something happens with your Walgreen's gig. Unless, you have strong financial support from a significant there, than you take the risk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you have to work weekends at your new job?

To me, it sounds like an improvement in quality of life. I don't know if it is a promotion though. PIC is a PIC. You are not becoming Director of Pharmacy. It is hard to predict if you will acquire a set of skills/contacts/etc to make this a stepping stone for something bigger.

Also as pointed out, why is their PIC leaving and where is he going to?

The 3 year contract part is important but not a deal breaker. Contracts get renewed and/or you may end up working directly for the hospital.

If it were me, I would probably take the job if the salary is competitive.

Would it be possible for you to drop down to prn status with Walgreens as a floater? That would keep your foot in the door and allow you to explore new career options. If worse comes to worse, I'm sure they could always bump you back up to part time or full time status.

Reactions: 1 user
I hate how walgreens rphs have to report to store managers. Some of them are good but a lot of them don't know much about pharmacy and always pressure us to provide "good"customer service.

The company I worked for had their DOP stay and get hired by the new contract winner when it expired. Did you assume you'd be out of a job if they were outbid, or did they tell you that?

If you're having to convince yourself that this new position is a promotion then it probably isn't. The only way to truly assuage your fears or concerns is to do an honest assessment of whether or not you can afford to make such a move. If the change in health benefits, drive time and personal debt/responsibilities allow you to take the risk then do it. Otherwise put your head down, keep working and continue to look for an opportunity that gives you freedom from Walgreens with stronger assurances.

you can always go back to walgreens...especially since you ahve RXM experience and probably a good history with them. Keep in contact with your coworkers occasionally and keep your DM's contact just in case. If you have been a good rph and rxm...there's no reason they wouldn't take you back if things don't go well for you with the other company.

1hr commute sucks but come 2020 we will see a slew of mass produced self driving cars, the 1-2 hrs commute will not be a problem anymore. Too many new rphs + self driving cars, say goodbye to finding a job in rural areas

Thank you guys! I really appreciate your help!
There are too many personal issues in my life right now (custody battle, outrageous lawyers fees, etc) ; therefore, due to this Ive decided to stay with Walgreens. Even though I hate working at walgreens, there is more stability that I can not afford to lose at this point of my life. With the new company, I would be losing 401K match, yearly bonus, plus the fact that in 2.5 years the company may not have the contract with the hospital and I will be out of job. Just bad timing for me...Hopefully, in few years I will be in a more stable position financially and hopefully there will be another opportunity with the company...
Thank you guys for all your help!