changing majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jill1029

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well I've recently decided that I don't want to major in bio anymore. I figure that once I get to med school (assuming of course that I get in) I'll have plenty of time for science then. So I decided that I wanted to double major in global studies and spanish, both things that I think I would very much enjoy. The only problem is every time I mention this to any of my family or friends they look at me like I'm crazy and say "but I thought you wanted to go to med school". This of course leads to me having to try and explain how you don't need to major in a science to go to med school, usually very unsuccessfully. I'm not crazy right? They all have me really doubting my decision, which I was very happy with. As long as I take all the pre req courses I should be perfectly fine with what I want to do for a major, shouldn't I?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It certainly won't hurt you to be a non-science major. There has been an increasing trend over the last decade or so of med schools filling their classes with more well rounded (i.e. non-bio) majors. Just be sure that your grades in the science prerequisites demonstrate that you can master those courses as well, and you will be fine.

when i decided to major in philosophy my dad got all worried that i wouldn't go into medicine. at least that's what he tells me now; he didn't say anything back then. i got a lot of confused looks from people during my undergrad years because of my major + career goals but who cares? the way i see it, if people are confused by you, either you're crazy or they're stupid. considering i have a degree in philosophy and in medical school, i'm inclined to think the latter, which makes it easier for me to identify people that i'm smarter than. and that is a plus in my book.

The acceptance rate for non-science majors is significantly higher than science majors. Don't listen to your friends and family unless they know what they are talking about; your health professions advisor could probably give you some good advice on the issue.

I'd be careful about double-majoring; it could be very difficult to complete both majors and the premed requirements, and you should probably take some extra bio courses anyways to be competitive on the MCAT.

If you do manage to pull it off (and keep up your GPA), a double non-science major will certainly set you apart.

Wordy word. Especially to Automaton and Dr. Pepper. I was a religion major with strong minor in political studies. Then I worked as an illustrator for 3 years after undergrad, and I have recently been accepted to several medical programs that I am very excited about. Yes, indeed, do what you love. The whole bio-major/chem-major thing isn't anyone's cup of tea. I have a feeling that most people who do the bio/chem major pre-med thing are either scared that if they don't they won't get into med school (I'm living proof that that is some ****e), or they are people who legitimately love those pursuits and probably have mucho interest in related research.

You seem more like the "people-person" type doc to me (not that they are mutually exclusive)-- the kind that has interest in medicine more for the people and less for the research. That's me too.

I think Dr. Pepper has some solid advice- do what you love, but don't sell your pre-med prep short in doing so. ;)

I was considering a philsophy major, people look at me weird, but the only thing that troubles me is IF, god forbid IF I don't get into medschool, what do I do with a philosophy major?

Docta "O" said:
I was considering a philsophy major, people look at me weird, but the only thing that troubles me is IF, god forbid IF I don't get into medschool, what do I do with a philosophy major?
what exactly will you do with a bio major? work in a research lab washing test tubes for 10 bucks an hour? if you're looking in terms of a career, most of the undergraduate majors are worthless in this regard. english, sociology, physics, biology, math, philosophy, economics, etc.

at least you can go to law school with philosophy. bio majors are the most worthless people ever. but that's just my opinion.