Changing name for URM advantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santana90

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have this friend who applied this cycle and hasn't had any luck in landing any interviews. He doesn't have any red flags, has decent ECs and good enough stats. This friend of mine has grown increasingly restless and bitter in the past few weeks and has often blamed his ORM status for his situation as well as being a CA resident. He has lost all hope for this current cycle and is setting his sights on a huge comeback in the next cycle. However, he's not planning to do any new EC activities or boost his grades. Instead, he is seriously planning to change his legal name into something that sounds more URM (like Jose Lopez). He is Asian but is often mistaken as a Hispanic and so he is set on taking advantage of this in the next cycle.

What do you guys think? I know spinachdip will disapprove

Members don't see this ad.

Theres a section on AMCAS where you list your prior names. You think it would be weird if it goes:
Won Chen
Jose Lopez

?

Reactions: 47 users
He'll get kicked out and blocked from all med schools if they discover it. Not worth the risk and totally unethical, unfair to all of us who play by the rules

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ethically, his plan is definitely in the wrong.

Statistically, his plan is not sound at all. Other members and I dedicated a huge amount of time in an earlier thread (and other members in many other threads, including adcoms) to specifically disproving the ORM "anti-hook" theory. With science. There will be no gain at all and he will have to live with his ****tyness for the rest of his life.

Also......

43074523.jpg

Please find the post where I said ORMs should have a higher bar set for them. They have a higher bar set for them because competition amongst themselves is fiercer, it's a natural economic outcome.

Also this.

Average Asian Matriculant GPA: 3.71
Average White Matriculant GPA: 3.71

Average Asian Matriculant MCAT: 32.5
Average White Matriculant GPA: 31.6

OMG THESE NUMBERS ARE NOT EVEN SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT AND IM NOT EVEN EXAGGERATING BECAUSE THEY ARE LITERALLY WAY LESS THAN ONE STANDARD DEVIATION FROM EACH OTHER. The conversation about ORM vs. white is so moot, I can't even.

Inb4 "Asian vs. White stock arguments."

From the document I already linked:

"The most effective use of the AAMC SES EO indicators is for admissions committees to consider them,
along with all other factors listed above, when screening applicants for interviews. Interviews afford not
only an opportunity to determine if an applicant fits the mission and contributes to the diversity interests
of the school, they also afford an opportunity to explore in more detail other factors, such as SES, that
may be considered when rendering admissions decisions. The correlation observed between SES
indicators and mean MCAT scores describes one such factor. However, since many factors contribute to
MCAT performance, these data should not be construed as a simple tool for comparing MCAT scores of
applicants within an SES group. To do so would be unfair and possibly counterproductive to efforts to
diversify a medical school class. Instead, admissions committees should apply their awareness of this
correlation to a holistic review of each applicant that takes this and many other factors into consideration
when evaluating each applicant. Consideration of these factors might be in the context of answers to the
following questions:
• What further insight might be gained about an applicant’s outlook and perceptions by using this
information?
• How does the self-declaration of disadvantaged status, or absence thereof, align with what is
written in the essay, described in life experiences, and reported by FAP, EO, and Pell Grant
indicators?
• Did this applicant have access to comparable educational opportunities, finances, and guidance
that other applicants had when preparing for medical school?
• Is it reasonable to expect this applicant to perform as well as other applicants on either the
MCAT or other standardized exams? "

It doesn't matter if they have to report it or not, considering these are guidelines outlined by the AAMC it is in their best interest to follow them since they provide a compelling argument as to why these guidelines would further the success of the schools they volunteered to committee for.

Inb4 "But what about SES" stock argument

Sigh. Reckoner's analysis a few pages back already corrected for your "martian, earthling" by citing that 1/3 of asian applicants come from California schools.
Pulling from AAMC data already posted on this thread:

Total Number of Asian Applicants in 2012: 9,544
Total Number of Asian Matriculants in 2012: 4,121
Asian Acceptance Rate: 43.1%

Total Number of White Applicants in 2012: 26,649
Total Number of White Matriculants in 2012: 12,134
White Acceptance Rate: 45.5%

Number of Asian Applicants from the state of California: 2,168
As a percentage of Asian applicant population: 22.7%

Number of White Applicants from the state of California: 1,895
As a percentage of White applicant population: 7.1%

Number of Asian Matriculants from the state of California: 891
As a percentage of Asian applicant from California population, acceptance rate: 41.1%

Number of White Matriculants from the state of California: 817
As a percentage of White applicants from California population, acceptance rate: 43.1%

Conclusion I: Applicants from the state of California face a uniform 2% drop in admission rates due to the nature of medical admission in the state.
Hypothesis: A dramatically larger percentage of the asian population applies from the state of California when compared to White applicants (with White applicant numbers used as a "neutral" number since they are neither URM or ORM - discounting SES advantages, etc.) and thus the "California skew" has a greater effect on the Asian population than the White population.
Fact: Asian matriculants comprise 21.1% of the total matriculant pool in spite of representing only 5.1% of the US population (US Census Bureau, 2013)
Fact: The average matriculating and applying statistics (MCAT /GPA /LizzyM Score) for Asians and Whites are nearly identical.

Conclusion II: The idea that there is a higher bar set for Asian applicants is a myth, a puff of smoke created by statistics and the given knowledge that Asians are over represented by a factor of 4 in the medical school population. Furthermore, the AAMC paper describing EO ratings highlights that only 30% of Asians are EO-1 or EO-2, the most disadvantaged socio-economic groups; consequently, less Asians will be considered for 'admission boosts' due to SES than members of other ethnic groups. The AAMC paper I linked last night, the position of Adcoms on this thread and this forum at large, and the available position of the AAMC endorses the fact that SES is indeed used as a factor in admissions when considering an applicant's disadvantage.

In case none of that sunk in, your Martian vs. Earthling comparison is void because the discrepancy is not 1 in 10 versus 9 in 10. It's 4.31 in 10 versus 4.5 in 10. The average Asian applicant, barring residence in California, should be able to gain admission into medical school with the same LizzyM (Mcat +GPA multiplier) score as a white applicant - ALL OF THIS IN SPITE OF BEING OVER REPRESENTED BY A FACTOR OF 4. In fact, considering the gross over representation of Asians in medical school, we can conclude that they remain over-represented thanks to the high-achieving history of their applicant pool - suggesting a highly meritocratic element to admissions that trumps the underlying mission to better represent the US population. No one is "fighting for scraps" or anything as dramatic as you said. There are no quotas ( I already explained the difference between quotas and admission policies in my first post on this thread and I don't expect to have to repeat myself).

If you find the idea of internal competition in an economically competitive system hard to stomach then I would leave the US right now because there's this thing called capitalism you see and it basically permeates every single part of American culture. However, if you want to continue to zealously enforce this "scrap" imagery, consider the mass of White and URM applicants sitting by the way-side watching 5% of the population gobble up 21% of available medical school seats. I don't mean for that last argument to be serious, mind you, because it isn't. Because the image you made wasn't serious to begin with. Because this whole debate is bollocks, and all solvents have been provided for all of your arguments.

Inb4 the entire state of California.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Most schools do background of some sort. He will have to disclose his real name. He will also have to disclose that he applied previously under a different name since they will know from his social security number. I don't see how he can pull it off. The only thing it could (and probably will) do is hurt him.

Reactions: 1 user
So I have this friend who applied this cycle and hasn't had any luck in landing any interviews. He doesn't have any red flags, has decent ECs and good enough stats. This friend of mine has grown increasingly restless and bitter in the past few weeks and has often blamed his ORM status for his situation as well as being a CA resident. He has lost all hope for this current cycle and is setting his sights on a huge comeback in the next cycle. However, he's not planning to do any new EC activities or boost his grades. Instead, he is seriously planning to change his legal name into something that sounds more URM (like Jose Lopez). He is Asian but is often mistaken as a Hispanic and so he is set on taking advantage of this in the next cycle.

Just tell them that he is part hispanic.

Besides, ADCOMS aren't that stupid and closed minded. They are aware of the thousands of interracial marriages. So a guy with Hispanic descent named John Li doesn't seem far fetched.

I just reread the OP and I assumed you said he was part hispanic instead of people mistaking him for it.

I think he's probably wrong, and most people will see him as the Asian he is! Tell him to embrace his culture!

Reactions: 1 users
Also, what a tool. I really hope he doesn't get in. I wouldn't be surprised if it is not ORM status that is holding him back but his lazy attitude and toxic personality.

Reactions: 5 users
Also, is getting into medical school really worth living such a big lie the rest of your life? Okay, so you may become a doctor. Still, imagine having to explain your name change to future employers or people you're dating. You're changing your identity to get into medical school. Or leading to a life where you're having to live more and more lies. That sounds far worse than having to reapply to medical school once or twice.

Statistically, his plan is not sound at all. Other members and I dedicated a huge amount of time in an earlier thread (and other members in many other threads, including adcoms) to specifically disproving the ORM "anti-hook" theory. With science. There will be no gain at all and he will have to live with his ****tyness for the rest of his life.

Also......

Aren't there already enough statistics from AAMC for people to make their own decisions? Anyways, I thought whites and asians were both ORMs.. When people say URM they usually mean anyone that ISN'T white or asian.

Didn't OP say he wanted a Hispanic name? Why isn't that statistically sound?

Aren't there already enough statistics from AAMC for people to make their own decisions? Anyways, I thought whites and asians were both ORMs.. When people say URM they usually mean anyone that ISN'T white or asian.

Didn't OP say he wanted a Hispanic name? Why isn't that statistically sound?

I'm just saving this thread a lot of time and it gives me a neat little way to copy-paste all my posts into future URM /ORM threads. Technically, there is no official definition of ORM except for the statistical notion that a greater percentage exist in medical school than in the population at large.

https://members.aamc.org/eweb/upload/Diversity in Medical Education_Facts and Figures 2012.pdf

The AAMC says that Whites makeup 54.6% of the medical school population (a greater proportion of the physician workforce, however, but that's just history for ya) and the US census bureau says the non-hispanic white population of the US is around this number, closer to 60%.

It's not a statistically sound strategy because, statistically, there is very little benefit to doing so in terms of admission. Ethically it is unpalatable.

NO, it's a bad idea. Tell him to keep up/improve the EC's (may take a bit of time) and apply more broadly next time. Plenty of 'ORMs' from CA get into med school.

Lol it's such a bad idea

That is a hilariously bad idea. Thanks for the laugh.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools do background of some sort. He will have to disclose his real name. He will also have to disclose that he applied previously under a different name since they will know from his social security number. I don't see how he can pull it off. The only thing it could (and probably will) do is hurt him.

Also, is getting into medical school really worth living such a big lie the rest of your life? Okay, so you may become a doctor. Still, imagine having to explain your name change to future employers or people you're dating. You're changing your identity to get into medical school. Or leading to a life where you're having to live more and more lies. That sounds far worse than having to reapply to medical school once or twice.

Disclose his real name? The new name will BE his real name... He won't have to explain anything lol. Hell I don't even know if they're allowed to ask him why the name was changed, from a legal standpoint. Besides, even if they did ask - if he went to the extreme of changing his legal name you don't think he'd have a reasonable "excuse" for changing his name?

Depending on what state he's in, I don't think you can just change your name for the hell of it though. Judges frown on people changing their name without any good reason.

NO one changes their name to get into medical school. Sure, he probably thinks it sounds like a good idea in theory, but I'd bet my bottom dollar once he looks into it more and realizes just how big of deal changing your legal name is, he'll drop the idea instantly.

Last edited:
You sure this "friend" isn't you yourself? Lol

What was your friend's MCAT and GPA?

Disclose his real name? The new name will BE his real name... He won't have to explain anything lol. Hell I don't even know if they're allowed to ask him why the name was changed, from a legal standpoint. Besides, even if they did ask - if he went to the extreme of changing his legal name you don't think he'd have a reasonable "excuse" for changing his name?

Depending on what state he's in, I don't think you can just change your name for the hell of it though. Judges frown on people changing their name without any good reason.

NO one changes their name to get into medical school. Sure, he probably thinks it sounds like a good idea in theory, but I'd bet my bottom dollar once he looks into it more and realizes just how big of deal changing your legal name is, he'll drop the idea instantly.
His real (given at birth) name is on all the transcripts. Also, as far as I understand you do have to disclose any other names you have used for the background check.

I guess I'm the only one going on a limb here. What if your friend were to say he's half Asian half Hispanic. That when he changes his last name that he lived with his parents got divorced and that he took his moms last name; who is the Hispanic one.

That way he has a story to tell them if asked. Let us know how it goes! OP please deliver!

I guess I'm the only one going on a limb here. What if your friend were to say he's half Asian half Hispanic. That when he changes his last name that he lived with his parents got divorced and that he took his moms last name; who is the Hispanic one.

That way he has a story to tell them if asked. Let us know how it goes! OP please deliver!

I guess as long as his mom on his AMCAS were named Sofia Vergara or something, he'd be set.

I guess as long as his mom on his AMCAS were named Sofia Vergara or something, he'd be set.

What if she were to change her name too?
I'm not talking about ethics or morale... I'm just pondering whether or not it could work and I actually believe it could!

What if she were to change her name too?
I'm not talking about ethics or morale... I'm just pondering whether or not it could work and I actually believe it could!

Oh, I wasn't either. You know, you may be right...

That is a very slippery slope

Also......

43074523.jpg

Ahh god you had to dredge up your stats from the Asian interview thread, didn't you?

Every time I see those stats I cringe, and feel obligated to say this about them:

In that thread, we proved that it is Chinese and Indians that are overrepresented, and that this downplays the under-representation of Southeast Asians. In other words, Asian is a misnomer to begin with, and you can't infer anything about which Asian subgroups are perhaps being discriminated against during interviews based on your data.

Second, we showed that "White" is an umbrella term that marginalizes Middle Eastern people and unfairly skews the data set you're trying to make inferences from.

Third, the Asians in your data have more ESL and/or visa issues than whites, and this can easily invalidate the data.

And worst of all, Chinese and Indians are overrepresented in medical schools by 500%, while other groups such as blacks and hispanics are underrepresented by over 500%, and yet no one believes that with admissions policies designed to increase URM enrollment that admitting black and hispanic students will somehow never effect overrepresented groups, and that some phantom white racist boogeyman is to blame for all of this.

Bajhajahfjhjfhsjldfs

Last edited:
Ahh god you had to dredge up your stats from the Asian interview thread, didn't you?

Every time I see those stats I cringe, and feel obligated to say this about them:

In that thread, we proved that it is Chinese and Indians that are overrepresented, and that this downplays the under-representation of Southeast Asians. In other words, Asian is a misnomer to begin with, and you can't infer anything about which Asian subgroups are perhaps being discriminated against during interviews based on your data.

Second, we showed that "White" is an umbrella term that marginalizes Middle Eastern people and unfairly skews the data set you're trying to make inferences from.

Third, the Asians in your data have more ESL and/or visa issues than whites, and this can easily invalidate the data.

And worst of all, Chinese and Indians are overrepresented in medical schools by 500%, while other groups such as blacks and hispanics are underrepresented by over 500%, and yet no one believes that with admissions policies designed to increase URM enrollment that admitting black and hispanic students will somehow never effect overrepresented groups, and that some phantom white racist boogeyman is to blame for all of this.

Bajhajahfjhjfhsjldfs
affect%2Beffect.png

Reactions: 10 users
Just tell Northwestern you're gay, you would be considered a URM (I think) and it's a hell of a lot easier than a legal name change.

Are half-ORM/half-URM considered one or the other? Or do they gain "half" of an advantage/disadvantage?

Just tell Northwestern you're gay, you would be considered a URM (I think) and it's a hell of a lot easier than a legal name change.

Tell every med school that.

I mean, by asking this question OP's "friend" isn't ethical to begin with. Maybe he can fake hours and LoR's.

I do want him to do this just so that it blows up in his face. Its funny how premeds think we're entitled to a spot in medical school.

3.96, 32 MCAT (11,10,11), 2nd author pub, great ECs, LORs, no red flags

With a great app like that, he should have no worries over something so TINY like race.

Please let "your friend" do this because he's clearly racist and idiotic. He'll get caught as he deserves. If not, we run the risk he'll get a real interview somewhere and get in. We don't need unethical jerk-offs like him.

Tell every med school that.

I mean, by asking this question OP's "friend" isn't ethical to begin with. Maybe he can fake hours and LoR's.

I do want him to do this just so that it blows up in his face. Its funny how premeds think we're entitled to a spot in medical school.

You don't have to put in hours or LoRs for being gay. So in theory if you wanted to fake it I guess that is possible. I wouldn't go there though.

I think your friend should change his name to Running Deer Hernandez, claim Hispanic / Native American status, wear a sombrero/headdress hybrid at all of his interviews, and speak fluent Spanish and Cherokee.

Also, he should get everyone in his family to change their surname to Hernandez as well and teach them Spanish. Rosetta Stone works great!

...or he (you) could start taking all the time spent blaming ORM status and plotting to obtain URM status and go do something noteworthy to put on his (your) re-application.

Reactions: 2 users

I personally know two people who have done this in the previous and current cycle respectively. They were both highly successful (much more so than their overall app would suggest).

This would appear to violate the spirit of the rules of medical school admissions as it is a misrepresentation of oneself, but it technically doesn't violate any rules (as it's perfectly legal to change your name). From my own anecdotal observations, it appears to be effective, albeit a very unsavory thing to do.

I personally know two people who have done this in the previous and current cycle respectively. They were both highly successful (much more so than their overall app would suggest).

This would appear to violate the spirit of the rules of medical school admissions as it is a misrepresentation of oneself, but it technically doesn't violate any rules (as it's perfectly legal to change your name). From my own anecdotal observations, it appears to be effective, albeit a very unsavory thing to do.

Sorry, but I have a tough time believing you.

After applying as a URM, I can tell you that at about half of my interviews I was matched up with a multicultural/URM interviewer, who SPECIFICALLY wanted to delve into my background (parent's histories, struggles overcame, issues within URM communities, etc.).

Unless your friends are pathological liars who would start making up an entire history for their families and the struggles they've faced (AND the interviewer bought it), then I think either your friends are lying to you or you're over-exaggerating. I think someone who is a 1/4 Hispanic listing Hispanic is something that could happen, but someone going through the legal process to change their first last name to sound Latino? Please. Anybody with an IQ over 90 can see that coming from a mile away.

Sorry, but I have a tough time believing you.

After applying as a URM, I can tell you that at about half of my interviews I was matched up with a multicultural/URM interviewer, who SPECIFICALLY wanted to delve into my background (parent's histories, struggles overcame, issues within URM communities, etc.).

Unless your friends are pathological liars who would start making up an entire history for their families and the struggles they've faced (AND the interviewer bought it), then I think either your friends are lying to you or you're over-exaggerating. I think someone who is a 1/4 Hispanic listing Hispanic is something that could happen, but someone going through the legal process to change their first last name to sound Latino? Please. Anybody with an IQ over 90 can see that coming from a mile away.

They were acquaintances, but I wouldn't (and didn't) go so far as to call them friends. I apologize that I neglected to clarify that both of the applicants are half hispanic and not fully ORM or white.

They both seemed to be friendly and affable, but I'm not qualified to speak about their character. The interviewer(s) did buy whatever they were selling, so to speak.

NO, it's a bad idea. Tell him to keep up/improve the EC's (may take a bit of time) and apply more broadly next time. Plenty of 'ORMs' from CA get into med school.

Lol it's such a bad idea

I can't BEAR the thought of someone actually doing this.

Please tell your friend to go into investment banking.

Changing your name is a big deal--your name is part of your identity, and my opinion is that you should not let the process of med school admissions consume you to the point that you're going to do something this drastic for the sake of admission.

Last edited:
Tell your boy, if they're gonna do it - then to do it right. Hormone replacement therapy and orchiectomy. Change the name to Sally or Nancy, because that's what they are being about the whole not getting into medical school. Then, they'll be a woman and can also complain about how male-dominated medicine is. Not saying women complain - but this kid seems to like complaining.

They were acquaintances, but I wouldn't (and didn't) go so far as to call them friends. I apologize that I neglected to clarify that both of the applicants are half hispanic and not fully ORM or white.

They both seemed to be friendly and affable, but I'm not qualified to speak about their character. The interviewer(s) did buy whatever they were selling, so to speak.

If they were half Hispanic then they were Hispanic....so they didn't game the system. They put their ethnicity down.

If you list Hispanic/Latino as your ethnicity you then can choose to list as many races as you identify as. The majority of Hispanics in this country list themselves as White (although this is rapidly changing as people become more educated and the category "other" or "multi" has started becoming more popular with Latinos).

Don't start flame wars about people changing their names and faking their ethnicity to game the system when that is not the case. If my last name is Johnson but my mom is from Peru, I'm Latino...no es solo el apellido, es la lengua y la cultura tambien.

If they were half Hispanic then they were Hispanic....so they didn't game the system. They put their ethnicity down.

If you list Hispanic/Latino as your ethnicity you then can choose to list as many races as you identify as. The majority of Hispanics in this country list themselves as White (although this is rapidly changing as people become more educated and the category "other" or "multi" has started becoming more popular with Latinos).

Don't start flame wars about people changing their names and faking their ethnicity to game the system when that is not the case. If my last name is Johnson but my mom is from Peru, I'm Latino...no es solo el apellido, es la lengua y la cultura tambien.

I completely agree that Hispanic is a cultural and not a racial designation, and that both applicants in this case are Latinos/Latinas. Btw, had to use google translate on that last part, my high school spanish is a bit rusty, lol.

The fact that they're both Hispanic is not our point of contention of course. It's that they both had surnames that were not traditionally Hispanic (owing to their non-Hispanic parent), and both changed their names respectively (to that of their Hispanic parent) shortly prior to applying to medical schools. It seems moot given that both their parents' information is listed on AMCAS as well as FAFSA and the individual school's secondary apps, but it wasn't my place to tell them what to do.

Perhaps they did it for the heck of it, perhaps it's for admissions purposes, this is pure speculation of course (and I'd rather not mention details). I'm not attempting to start a flame war (I abhor internet pissing matches of any and all kinds), I'm simply pointing out that changing one's surname prior to applying to medical school is not something that's unprecedented.

3.96, 32 MCAT (11,10,11), 2nd author pub, great ECs, LORs, no red flags

Those are some serious stats! I have 3 friends with much lower stats who got multiple interviews and acceptances with way lower stats and very few ECs and they are totally convinced it's because they are URM. I hate to rehash the argument, but I feels for your friend. If he/she can't get in after this cycle I say screw it! Do the name change!

I have some Egyptian (1/8) in me so I'm going to be claiming URM as an African American!

Also......

43074523.jpg

You are awesome. Wow

Also, what a tool. I really hope he doesn't get in. I wouldn't be surprised if it is not ORM status that is holding him back but his lazy attitude and toxic personality.
My friend is one of the nicest and hard working people I know, and it's really messed up that you hope he doesn't get in. The process has been really rough on him; he has worked so hard for the past four years and schools hasn't even given him a chance to prove himself in an interview. Yeah his idea seems unethical but it's not like he did it or even going to do it. Put yourself in his shoes. Talk about lack of sympathy sheesh

Status
Not open for further replies.