Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who work in hospital systems or academic medical centers, how important is “the name” to you?
Given these two situations, which would you choose:
1. Clinical psychologist position with academic appointment commensurate with experience at a well-known and well-respected hospital in a city (population around 500,000) with COL lower than national average. Salary $100,000. Great healthcare benefits, CME funds. Completely unknown what the department dynamics are like because you are unfamiliar with the hospital.
2. Director position within a division of a smaller hospital system in a city of 200,000. COL lower than the other city and you’ll be able to get a better house (important to you because you have a family). Salary $110,000. Similar geographic area (about 3-4 hours from #1). Good (but not great) healthcare benefits. No CME funds. This is where you were a postdoc and practiced as a psychologist for a few years, and know the department has people with whom it is pleasant to work.
The reason for the last sentence is I am concerned I may be biased to go toward the “safer” option. I relocated last year to go somewhere that has a great reputation (similar to that of #1) but I am finding questionable ethics, cliques within the department that impact whether patients are admitted to certain programs, and other concerning things. I am basically concerned if I go to #1, I may run into similar issues. #2 I am familiar with. I would appreciate others’ views or if others had similar experiences.
Given these two situations, which would you choose:
1. Clinical psychologist position with academic appointment commensurate with experience at a well-known and well-respected hospital in a city (population around 500,000) with COL lower than national average. Salary $100,000. Great healthcare benefits, CME funds. Completely unknown what the department dynamics are like because you are unfamiliar with the hospital.
2. Director position within a division of a smaller hospital system in a city of 200,000. COL lower than the other city and you’ll be able to get a better house (important to you because you have a family). Salary $110,000. Similar geographic area (about 3-4 hours from #1). Good (but not great) healthcare benefits. No CME funds. This is where you were a postdoc and practiced as a psychologist for a few years, and know the department has people with whom it is pleasant to work.
The reason for the last sentence is I am concerned I may be biased to go toward the “safer” option. I relocated last year to go somewhere that has a great reputation (similar to that of #1) but I am finding questionable ethics, cliques within the department that impact whether patients are admitted to certain programs, and other concerning things. I am basically concerned if I go to #1, I may run into similar issues. #2 I am familiar with. I would appreciate others’ views or if others had similar experiences.