Changing out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m3unsure

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ever meet someone who left MD world to do something like DPharm or DDS?

I wonder what the requirments would be since you wouldn't have to really do all the schooling again.

Please PM or whatever if you know someone doing this.

Members don't see this ad.

Ever meet someone who left MD world to do something like DPharm or DDS?

I wonder what the requirments would be since you wouldn't have to really do all the schooling again.

Please PM or whatever if you know someone doing this.

well I would think if you went to do a PharmD (I dunno about dds), that you would have to do all the schooling. Pharmacy school cirriculum is considerably different from med school cirriculum

The grass is not always greener. What makes you want to jump into another medical profession?

I know several pharmacists who left pharmacy and went to med school. I don't know any physicians who decided to become pharmacists. They might be out there, but it's rare. I knew a dentist who had gone to pharmacy school, but was still working as a pharmacist because she was having a hard time getting into a practice.

I don't know how much credit they'll give you for med school coursework. Many pharmacy schools (just like med schools) are going to an organ system approach. It's difficult to tease out the individual components that you would need. However, I would think you should be able to get out of biochem, physio, and micro at the very least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very rare to go MD to PharmD, I have only encountered one, and it was a virtual encounter as he used to post on these forums. You could read his story by searching his user name and reading through some of his posts. Pretty insightful guy, though not sure I would make such a move.

User: SobeGekko

It is much more common to come across PharmD's going into Medicine. There is also a Cardiology Fellow at my current institution who is literally a retired Dentist. Seriously, he is like 60.