changing Rad Onc personal statement for prelim year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fw5tape6kq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that I can use my Radiation Oncology-specific personal statement in my IM Preliminary year applications; i.e., there is no need to write an entirely separate personal statement just for my IM intern year. Nevertheless, I spoke with a resident today who recommended at least amending my Rad personal statement to reflect the fact that I am doing an IM year, for my intern year IM programs

essentially something along the lines of ...

"And in preparation for my career in Radiation Oncology, I seek to develop a strong foundation and understanding of medical management with the training of your program. As an intern, I will strive to do X y and z. Etc. etc."

Any thoughts on this? Can I submit my normal Rad Onc personal statement as is, or should I alter that version slightly to be tailored towards prelim programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did do a small amendment of a couple sentences very similar to what you wrote. Honestly doesn't matter though. I'd be shocked if anyone at a prelim program was reading personal statements.

Good luck with the process!

Agree that 1-2 lines about why you want to do an IM prelim year (what you typed is fine) to the end of your Rad Onc personal statement is fine.