changing Rad Onc personal statement for prelim year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fw5tape6kq

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My understanding is that I can use my Radiation Oncology-specific personal statement in my IM Preliminary year applications; i.e., there is no need to write an entirely separate personal statement just for my IM intern year. Nevertheless, I spoke with a resident today who recommended at least amending my Rad personal statement to reflect the fact that I am doing an IM year, for my intern year IM programs

essentially something along the lines of ...

"And in preparation for my career in Radiation Oncology, I seek to develop a strong foundation and understanding of medical management with the training of your program. As an intern, I will strive to do X y and z. Etc. etc."

Any thoughts on this? Can I submit my normal Rad Onc personal statement as is, or should I alter that version slightly to be tailored towards prelim programs?
 
Last edited:
I did do a small amendment of a couple sentences very similar to what you wrote. Honestly doesn't matter though. I'd be shocked if anyone at a prelim program was reading personal statements.

Good luck with the process!