1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Changing residence

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Chuckde, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Chuckde

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Is it possible to change your residence to another state if you get accepted to dental school there?

For example, I live in Virginia but plan to apply to a few schools in California. My aunt lives in California, so I was thinking, if I get accepted to a school in California, could I change my residence to my aunts house so I don't have to pay the out of state tuition? If so, how long does it take for your residence to be declared "changed."

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sunshine222

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Different states have different policies, I think. For instance in Washington you have to live here for a full year before you qualify for in-state tuition. If you're taking more than 6 credits of classes during that time you're presumed to be here for educational purposes and it doesn't count.

I'd go to the schools' websites, there's probably a link discussing residency requirements :)

4. cobalt31

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    hey - i've gone through some major residency issues through this app cycle. it sounds like you plan on putting VA on your aadsas, and then if you get in to a cali school, you will try to get in-state immediately because of your aunt? no, that won't work. after spending 1 year at the cali school, you might be able to get in-state for your last three years. but that has nothing to do with your aunt at all.

basically, you have two options. 1) you need to be currently living in the state you want residency and have a driver's license, vehicle registration, permanent address, voter registration, and pay taxes to the state you want to claim as your residency and have lived there for at least one year (minimum - depends on the state though) prior to class registration at the school you want to attend. for example, i graduated in may this year, moved to maryland in june, and since i got all the aforementioned things right when i got here, and UMD's class registration for the 2009 entering class is in june or july 2009, i was able to get in-state tuition at UMD.

your other option is having parents THAT CLAIMED YOU AS A DEPENDENT ON THEIR TAX RETURNS THE YEAR YOU APPLY live in the state you want to claim residency in. it also helps to have any of the aforementioned things in the state as well.

good luck trying to work it out!