• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!


10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Is it possible to change your residence to another state if you get accepted to dental school there?

For example, I live in Virginia but plan to apply to a few schools in California. My aunt lives in California, so I was thinking, if I get accepted to a school in California, could I change my residence to my aunts house so I don't have to pay the out of state tuition? If so, how long does it take for your residence to be declared "changed."


10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Different states have different policies, I think. For instance in Washington you have to live here for a full year before you qualify for in-state tuition. If you're taking more than 6 credits of classes during that time you're presumed to be here for educational purposes and it doesn't count.

I'd go to the schools' websites, there's probably a link discussing residency requirements :)


10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
hey - i've gone through some major residency issues through this app cycle. it sounds like you plan on putting VA on your aadsas, and then if you get in to a cali school, you will try to get in-state immediately because of your aunt? no, that won't work. after spending 1 year at the cali school, you might be able to get in-state for your last three years. but that has nothing to do with your aunt at all.

basically, you have two options. 1) you need to be currently living in the state you want residency and have a driver's license, vehicle registration, permanent address, voter registration, and pay taxes to the state you want to claim as your residency and have lived there for at least one year (minimum - depends on the state though) prior to class registration at the school you want to attend. for example, i graduated in may this year, moved to maryland in june, and since i got all the aforementioned things right when i got here, and UMD's class registration for the 2009 entering class is in june or july 2009, i was able to get in-state tuition at UMD.

your other option is having parents THAT CLAIMED YOU AS A DEPENDENT ON THEIR TAX RETURNS THE YEAR YOU APPLY live in the state you want to claim residency in. it also helps to have any of the aforementioned things in the state as well.

good luck trying to work it out!
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.