changing residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tariq

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I got a position in Family practice during the post match.I want to change my speciality after a year.Could someone give me some input on how to go about this.Thankyou

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what specialty you want to switch to and if that specialty requires a year of primary care or not. If you want to switch to IM it is possible and you would receive partial credit. It's going to depend on whether they have a position available above the PGY-1 year. Could you be more specific what you are considering looking into?

Hi, I too have a similar issue.
I am intern in FP. I want to switch to IM. I am an IMG and on J1 visa. Can I go through ERAS? or can I enquire directly to programs if they have any slots available. I do not mind doing intern year yet again. could anyone shade some light on this? have people been able to switch specialities with visa being an issue. I dont have any desire to change visa status. if it can be done, what would be the best way to go forward? Any advice will be deeply appreciated.
Thanks.

You can definitely try to do this.

As an FP resident, you can get some credit for IM. If your program has an IM residency and if you do a rotation where you are treated exactly like an IM resident, you can get 1:1 credit for that. Otherwise, you can get a maximum of 3 months of credit no matter what you do. Advanced credit is at the discretion of the IM PD -- they must apply to the ABIM for it for you.

One of the easiest ways to do so is to apply via ERAS for PGY-1 spots. Obviously, it is way too late to do so for this year (NRMP deadline is right now, 9PM tonight!). If you're only going to get 3 months of credit, most PD's will have you repeat the whole year.

At this point, your best option is to contact PD's directly. You'll be looking for a pGY1 spot.