Changing something on a submitted letter of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westpoloplayer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recieved a letter of recommendation via email from my former-lab boss. It is a great letter, with the exception that he misspelled my name! He got the last name correctly but spelled my first name in the British way (Megan vs Meghan). It's still recognizeable but is there any way he can change it after he has submitted it? Any thoughts on what the committee will think when they recieve a letter (albeit a very positive letter) with a misspelled name?

I've heard something about petitioning to change it but I'm not sure what is involved in that?

Members don't see this ad.

nope- not that I'm aware of. Once submitted, all information goes to the black hole of death, never to be retrieved......expect by the adcoms :0

I do hate that. My name is Meghan and people are constantly spelling it Megan, even for important documents like recommendations. That is unfortunate, but hopefully it won't reflect negatively on you. I think that trying to get it changed (if there was a slight possibility you could) would bring more attention to it then leaving it alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, probably just let it go. I doubt that it will be a big deal.

I always have this fear because I go by a nickname off my middle name, so I always make sure to include both. I think if they can deal with my name in the letters being totally different than the first name on my application, they can probably deal with your name being off by a letter.