Changing state of residence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatageek

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I declared Alabama to be my state of legal residence on the AAMC when I took the MCAT. However, I've now found out that I'm not an Alabama resident because I'm considered to be in the state solely for educational purposes. Is there any way to change my state of residence that's reported with my MCAT? Or does it even matter? I will definitely be listing GA (my home state) as my state of legal residence on my AMCAS application. Is that the only one that counts?

Members don't see this ad.

Um I don't think it matters at all, I don't even remember putting my state on the MCAT (probably did though). I think it only really matters on the AMCAS because some schools might use it to determine in-state/OOS. They also mark if you lived in a medically underserved area but I don't know how much that really matters. Most schools have residence questions on their secondary anyway if they take it into consideration so even that might not matter that much.

In short, no I don't think putting the wrong state down on your MCAT matters.