Changing States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeeDot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing up my undergraduate career and am preparing to enter physical therapy school this summer. I realize that I may be looking a little bit far down the road, but oh well. Never hurts to plan ahead.

My question is about state licensures. I've always wanted to live somewhere warm and different from where I've grown up, and the school I'll be attending is....well....cold and very close to where I've always lived. After some thought I realized that the chances of me wanting to move to another state after I graduate PT school are very good. I also know that PT's must be licensed by the state their practicing in.

MY question is this: Are state licensure exams similar across the country? If you pass one in one state will you likely be able to pass another state's? Is there anything you can do to prepare? Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently finishing up my undergraduate career and am preparing to enter physical therapy school this summer. I realize that I may be looking a little bit far down the road, but oh well. Never hurts to plan ahead.

My question is about state licensures. I've always wanted to live somewhere warm and different from where I've grown up, and the school I'll be attending is....well....cold and very close to where I've always lived. After some thought I realized that the chances of me wanting to move to another state after I graduate PT school are very good. I also know that PT's must be licensed by the state their practicing in.

MY question is this: Are state licensure exams similar across the country? If you pass one in one state will you likely be able to pass another state's? Is there anything you can do to prepare? Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

https://www.fsbpt.org/ForCandidatesAndLicensees/NPTE/FAQs/index.asp

There is only one exam, given at 300 or so Prometric testing centers across the country. You just need to declare in which jurisdiction you are applying for licensure.

My knowledge of this is based purely on conversations with PTs at a clinic where I used to work: The license exam is the same for all states, but each state has an additional exam for billing codes and administrative things. I don't know how these apply to traveling PTs, for example, but I'm just throwing it out there; hopefully someone with the actual knowledge or time to research it can find out.

My knowledge of this is based purely on conversations with PTs at a clinic where I used to work: The license exam is the same for all states, but each state has an additional exam for billing codes and administrative things. I don't know how these apply to traveling PTs, for example, but I'm just throwing it out there; hopefully someone with the actual knowledge or time to research it can find out.

Only some states have an additional jurisprudence examination. You have to check with the state to which you applying for licensure to determine this.