Changing to Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtlangel

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a new registered member. I went to UC Davis and currently have a degree in Biological Science. I was planning on going to Optometry school but I'm deciding to change to Pharmacy for personal and family reasons.

1)more schools near where I live
2)some don't require PCAT
3)parents want me to be a doctor, so I'm kinda like forced into it..

I have interned at an optometrist office and I'm wondering if this would affect my chances of getting into pharmacy school because everything I have worked for so far is becoming an optometrist. I have no pharmacy internship and I don't even know any pharmacist ><. For the interview if they ask me? What should I tell them? I don't dislike Optometry nor pharmacy. I just feel with pharmacy I have a better chance of getting in because of more schools. Also should I just not tell them that I applied for both Optometry and Pharmacy?

But I'm planning to volunteer at a hospital to gain more hands-on in the pharmacy department.

Members don't see this ad.

"I don't dislike Optometry nor pharmacy. I just feel with pharmacy I have a better chance of getting in because of more schools."

I think you should have a sincere interest in purusing pharmacy rather than it being because there are more schools near you.

Don't worry about it affecting your chances. A lot of people intern in different things before deciding on pharmacy. But you do need to have a reason why you want to do pharmacy, and probably want to work on a reason why not optometry because you might get asked that. And saying you think you have a better chance at getting in isn't going to cut it. You must have some better reasons if you are thinking about the profession. What about the profession appeals to you? Your reasons are your own so no one here can come up with one for you. Volunteering in a pharmacy is a good step and might help you come up with a reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay. Yeah I do need a reason to tell them besides money and the fact that you get a title. All this talk about doing what you want and like.. I kinda gave up hope on that ever since I started majoring in Biological Science. Well anyway, I am going abroad to help people in Costa Rica and Nicaragua so maybe I will find my reason.

Does anyone have strict Asian parents who have forced them to pursue medicine? And it's not like a one day thing. It's been input in my brain ever since the day I was born. Be a doctor! They say really negative and hurtful things to me like "you're worthless", "how can you be so stupid, when kids in China are smarter than you", "Why don't you want to be a doctor, when kids in China want to be a doctor but they have no money."

Just wondering if anyone who has faced a similar child upbringing can give me some advice. Also, yeah it's easy to say like ooo move out, support yourself and live your life and stuff.. I have thought about it. But reason I'm not doing that is not cause I can't. It's cause of guilt. They supported me financially through all my schooling and also in raising me. I'm first born generation so my parents immigrated from China. They always tell me how hard it was to earn money and etc... so I can't help but feel guilty if I don't do what they ask. I have worked part time to help with expenses but its not enough. AND BELIEVE ME I HAVE FOUGHT OVER THIS ISSUE THROUGHOUT MY LIFE. Me and my brother are on the same boat. So I looked at pharmacy and it didn't seem so bad. Fulfilling my parent's dream and pharmacists make good money.

Sorry to kind of go off topic.. Just wanted some HELP!!

Okay. Yeah I do need a reason to tell them besides money and the fact that you get a title. All this talk about doing what you want and like.. I kinda gave up hope on that ever since I started majoring in Biological Science. Well anyway, I am going abroad to help people in Costa Rica and Nicaragua so maybe I will find my reason.

Does anyone have strict Asian parents who have forced them to pursue medicine? And it's not like a one day thing. It's been input in my brain ever since the day I was born. Be a doctor! They say really negative and hurtful things to me like "you're worthless", "how can you be so stupid, when kids in China are smarter than you", "Why don't you want to be a doctor, when kids in China want to be a doctor but they have no money."

Just wondering if anyone who has faced a similar child upbringing can give me some advice. Also, yeah it's easy to say like ooo move out, support yourself and live your life and stuff.. I have thought about it. But reason I'm not doing that is not cause I can't. It's cause of guilt. They supported me financially through all my schooling and also in raising me. I'm first born generation so my parents immigrated from China. They always tell me how hard it was to earn money and etc... so I can't help but feel guilty if I don't do what they ask. I have worked part time to help with expenses but its not enough. AND BELIEVE ME I HAVE FOUGHT OVER THIS ISSUE THROUGHOUT MY LIFE. Me and my brother are on the same boat. So I looked at pharmacy and it didn't seem so bad. Fulfilling my parent's dream and pharmacists make good money.

I'm not so sure I understand you. You claim your parents want you to become a doctor; however, how will you be fulfilling your parents' dream of becoming a doctor if you're going to become a pharmacist? Pharmacy and medicine are two different careers. Perhaps, your parents are confused about doctors and pharmacists. A doctor is a doctor and a pharmacist is a pharmacist. So, it would help if you clarify that.

In my class there are about 30 Vietnamese and from what I can tell all of their parents are forcing them to do medicine. Not that I'm telling you to go against your parents wishes, but it's your life and you need to do what is going to make you happy. Sometimes this doesn't mix well with family politics and can be a bumpy road. As for optometry and pharmacy, I believe both degrees carry the title "Dr." I don't know where you are, but there is a new school of optometry opening up at The University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio, Tx. This is also the same school I attend for pharmacy. The program will have it's first class of professional students in two years, I believe. Pharmacy is a field you really have to want to do. If it's one thing I've learned, life is too short to be doing something you hate.

One big thing about going to pharmacy school is, and I'm sure this rings true with a lot of other professional programs, grades aren't everything. You still should strive to get the best grades, but you also have to get involved with the organizations and network. That will help you get a job as much and sometimes more than just grades alone.

As for telling the pharmacy schools about applying to optometry school, it may appear to them that you don't know what you really want to do. They more than likely will ask you in the interview if you have applied to any other pharmacy schools but I don't know if they will ask about other professional schools.

I'm Asian but my parents aren't strict. But I admit that it was my mother, who is a nurse, that initially got me interested in pharmacy. In high school, I volunteered at my mother's hospital and worked with the pharmacists. Since then, I have become passionate about the career and have made my own decisions to pursue it. My family back me on this.

It sucks that your parents are like that but I understand where you are coming from. Asian families can give a lot of pressure. All I can say is do what you think is good for you. Your parents might only think of the benefits of becoming a doctor, but they don't see the possible downfalls. There are other and/or easier ways to make money and gain prestige. Me personally, I looked into becoming a physician also. But after seeing the many opportunities that pharmacy has to offer, I switched my goal to that. If you're interested in pharmacy, then work or volunteer at one to make sure that is what you want to do. Having experience in optometry will not hurt you, but you may have to explain why you made the switch in the interviews. Like the above posters said...you won't be accepted without showing a clear want for the profession. Good luck!

Hi everyone,
I'm a new registered member. I went to UC Davis and currently have a degree in Biological Science. I was planning on going to Optometry school but I'm deciding to change to Pharmacy for personal and family reasons.

I have interned at an optometrist office and I'm wondering if this would affect my chances of getting into pharmacy school because everything I have worked for so far is becoming an optometrist. I have no pharmacy internship and I don't even know any pharmacist ><. For the interview if they ask me? What should I tell them? I don't dislike Optometry nor pharmacy. I just feel with pharmacy I have a better chance of getting in because of more schools. Also should I just not tell them that I applied for both Optometry and Pharmacy?

But I'm planning to volunteer at a hospital to gain more hands-on in the pharmacy department.
Hey, it's another fellow Aggie!

Although I can't directly empathize with your personal family situation, I can offer support and advice if you'd like!

You're right in asserting that there are multiple schools in and around Northern California and all them don't require the PCAT. That aside, if there's a particular reason that you want to stay within CA, ie. for family or personal reasons, then you're cool and won't have to take it. However, grades are a very important piece of the puzzle for all CA schools, so make sure your GPA's competitive if you're going to go down this route. If you're around a ~3.0 threshold, there's no harm in taking the PCAT. It's your option, but there's alot of great schools on the East Coast and Midwest that you shouldn't discount if you have your heart set on Pharm School in the coming year(s?).

This brings me to my last point: family. From what you've described, your family is an important aspect of your life and who you are today. As a result, please take my 2cents however you'd like. Becoming a health professional today can be a great career, but any path can be both rewarding AND demanding. It's great that you've had some diversity already in working optometrist's office, but perhaps doing a little soul searching over a cup of coffee might be beneficial to your future career path. I understand that your parents want you to succeed (I think we ALL know how that feels), but if you need to take a moment and chill, if not and just to see what you want to do with your life, go for it. I'm not suggesting anything radical, but from what you've described, perhaps that trip abroad might open your eyes to something amazing! Find something that attracts you to pharmacy beyond the typical reasons. The sooner you discover the passion that makes you tick, like wanting to fuse a passion for chemistry and public service, then bam - you're set. Not all roads may lead to becoming a medical doctor, you just sometimes have to take the road less traveled by.

If you need further assistance, I know for a fact there's plenty of resources at South Hall with the pre-health advisors. It might seem a little intimidating, but everyone's super friendly if you ask for an appointment, or want to talk to other pre-pharmers in the club there. Best of luck, or PM me if you have further questions!

:welcome: :hello:

I'm not so sure I understand you. You claim your parents want you to become a doctor; however, how will you be fulfilling your parents' dream of becoming a doctor if you're going to become a pharmacist? Pharmacy and medicine are two different careers. Perhaps, your parents are confused about doctors and pharmacists. A doctor is a doctor and a pharmacist is a pharmacist. So, it would help if you clarify that.

This post is somewhat misleading... A pharmacist is most certainly a doctor. It is Doctorate of Pharmacy, or a Pharm D. That being said, it is NOT the same type of doctor as an M.D., or more appropriately in this case, an O.D.

I think she (or he) was stating that the parents wanted her / him to obtain a professional degree... The stigma of the only "real" doctor being an M.D. applies to Optometry almost as much as to Pharmacy. The parents would probably be just as happy having a pharmacist in the family as they would with an optometrist.

That being said - The life of an optometrist is so far unrelated to a pharmacist, it warrants mentioning. They are NOT comparable. You should choose a career because YOU want it... You may not see it now, but you would be making a huge mistake by choosing a career for any reason but your own.

If you want to be an optometrist - Do not settle for second best just because the road ahead is difficult. Study hard for the OAT - and earn yourself a future.

~above~

Its funny that you should talk about strict azn parents. My wife just started forcing me to go into pharmacy lol. Shes viet and was telling me it was worth it to get a secure medical related job , and I agree. Thats a portion of why I am switching my major to chem. :D. But I have two friends right now that are pharmacists and they tell me that they love it. I always wanted to do something related to pharmacy and medical, since my dad is a chiropractor and my mother is a nurse, and I like helping others, I thought maybe I should do it. But when I was younger I hung around the wrong crowd that would always tell me that medical was not cut out for me, and I would be stupid enough to listen back then. So for me it was kinda cool that my wife is pushing me into pharmacy. :D. Only thing that sucks is that im 26 now, but I guess its not about the age , or the time it will take me, its more about the prestige and respect that I will get out from my family. Not to mention a great accomplishment and satisfaction that I will get out of actually helping people in need for a change

Yes...me....:smuggrin:

Don't get wrong, I would have liked a shot at medicine if offered. However, I got to a point during college where I didn't want my career to be my life. I also wanted less drama and more consistency in day-to-day life. I've always felt that a health profession career was for me. But I have to admit that the acculturation from my demanding Asian parents directed me to that.

It didn't help that my parents made the assumption that I would get into school. Being the gossipy characters they were, they gloated about my achievements no matter how old or significant while constantly telling everyone how I'd make it as a doctor. Much to their chagrin, I kept my plans and course schedules a secret. It helped that they lacked knowledge about the process.:D

When I took another year to finish college because I had personal issues (I could've graduated if I wanted), my parents panicked as if I was going to be a failure. When med school acceptance became unlikely, my parents acted like I had failed the family. They had a harsh slap of reality knowing that their "prize" child they've touted for years didn't meet their excessively high expectations. I still remember that day when I got my acceptance to Creighton. I was overjoyed that I had a future after college and a job waiting for me. Pops....not so much.

I told him of the news and he gave me a deathly stare of indifference. Based on his demeanor when I talked about pharmacy school, I could easily tell that he felt that pharmacy school was second-tier to med school. The thought in my mind was, "Fine! F*ck off!". Fortunately, I became separated from my parents by an hour drive. That made them feel at ease that I was close by while giving me some freedom to explore my life. I finally experienced independent life during my P1 year that most people experience during their first year in college and/or when they first live on their own.

Now, it's a common retort by parents and/or scholars that there's a distinction between the more individualized American culture and the collective Asian cultures. That distinction neglects the fact that the individual always has control over his or her life. Your decisions affect your own life; your parents influence and guide you. It's like taking bad advice from someone, it may have not been your idea but you still made the decision to accept the advice. The distinction between collective and individualized cultures real deals with how one member's actions is perceived by the rest of the culture.

I'm not trying to say that my parents were total d*uches. They're became generally more lenient as I grew up and they really never interfered with my life after high school. Your parents sound bad and demanding. The point is that they don't live your life, you do. Live life to the fullest, pursue a direction that makes you happy, and things should fall into place.

Hi everyone,

It's not like pharmacy schools only take people who have been pre-pharm all their lives. There are plenty of people who change and get accepted like me. The obvious thing to do is to educate yourself about the profession, try to get some pharmacy experience, and not act like you haven't changed to pharmacy. That gives people the impression that pharmacy is your backup and you don't really care. So, I wouldn't belabor your optometry experiences unless it's work experience that you have to report.

As for your question about telling pharmacy schools that you applied for optometry schools too, I would offer caution. Don't lie about it and don't try to cover it up. Yet, don't openly volunteer the information and make it sound like pharmacy is the analogue of a rebound date used to make you feel better without any real commitment. For me, it was easier because most of my activities were medicine specific and because I always considered pharmacy an option during college. You have to evaluate yourself to see if your motivations are genuine.

Don't let your parents bully you into doing something you don't want to do. My parents tried to bully me into becoming a doctor and I went the opposite way into computers and engineering. Only to find out that I really wanted to be a doctor later on. So if you really do want to be a doctor, then do it (but a pharmacist is not a doctor). If you don't, then tell your parents to buzz off and stop trying to live their lives through you. ESPECIALLY if they aren't going to pay for medical/pharmacy school. And if they just want you to get rich, then your parents are stupid/ignorant.

Don't make a decision like this because of guilt. If you do, then you'll go through the rest of your life resentful towards yourself and your parents. If they truly love you, they'll support whatever career you chose. You might want to see a counselor about this -- it's a pretty common problem. I know how you feel, because I've gone through it too.

We all have our own reasons for choosing pharmacy, and if your parents are a good enough reason for you, that's fine. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into, though. Pharmacy school isn't easy, and I don't imagine it would be much fun for someone who doesn't particularly want to be a pharmacist. I think doing some work in a pharmacy will help you decide if you could do that for years, and also to look good on your application if you apply.

Are you planning on applying to optometry and pharmacy programs in the same year? I agree with the others that you should not bring it up, but don't lie about it either. You probably wouldn't want to apply to both programs at the same school, if that should happen to come up. If you apply to pharmacy schools, you will probably have to write a personal statement, and while you are writing it you can work on putting into words some reasons that you want to be a pharmacist. If I were you I would not write that you were doing it because your parents want you to.

If you don't think you could get into a nearby optometry school, you could try applying to a few farther away, just to see how it goes and to leave the option for yourself. Or do you not really have that strong of a preference for optometry over pharmacy? You mentioned that some nearby schools do not require the PCAT. I don't know what your grades are like, but I would recommend taking the practice PCAT online to see how you do, and take the real one if you do well, because a good score will help your application, and you might want to apply to a school that does require it.

It sounds like this is going to be really complicated for you. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you're happy whichever way you end up going.

Members don't see this ad :)
oo thanks for the comments. I feel glad that some people went through the same thing I did. I remember like the first time I asked my friends like why they chose their profession and they all said "oo because I like it and I want to do it" I was completely SHOCKED. It was like, it never occurred to me that you go to college to major in something you enjoy doing. .. I was asking them so many questions about their parents and what they were like.

Life is hard these days. When it comes to choosing your profession, I say.. Use your Head, not your Heart. Many will DISagree with me on that one. But hey, that's just my advice.

I know someone who had a full scholarship to become a MD. He declined the offer and instead, he chose to pursue a career in Photography. That doesn't make him RIGHT, or WRONG.

I was "forced." When I was six, I wanted to be a teacher. My mom said, "they don't make a lot of money." Then I wanted to be an artist, "they don't make any money." In middle school, I wanted to be a geologist, "be in the medical field" was her response. Then in high school, I wanted to be a fashion designer, and I was hit with the "not enough money yet again." So I caved and did what they wanted me to do. It wasn't until college and this whole app process that changed my views, and I no longer felt forced. Maybe I've learned to love it or I can finally see what my parents see, but I do sense a connection with this profession...also, my dad gave up his profession as a biologist in VN to come to America just so my family and I can have a better life. That level of sacrifice is very important to me and is one of the reasons why I chose this profession.

If you still feel forced though, think long-term...think of all the pretty shoes you can buy with a pharmacist's salary :laugh:

If anybody studied psychology, they would know the theory of cognitive dissonance. That is, if you are forced into pharmacy, and you dislike it, you most likely will learn to like it over time b/c thats how the mind copes when theres a conflict between attitude and behavior.

If anybody studied psychology, they would know the theory of cognitive dissonance. That is, if you are forced into pharmacy, and you dislike it, you most likely will learn to like it over time b/c thats how the mind copes when theres a conflict between attitude and behavior.

I really wish I was forced into pharmacy, both of my parents went to law school and as long as I could remember I was always pressured to be a lawyer. :(

Its funny that you should talk about strict azn parents. My wife just started forcing me to go into pharmacy lol. Shes viet and was telling me it was worth it to get a secure medical related job , and I agree. Thats a portion of why I am switching my major to chem. :D. But I have two friends right now that are pharmacists and they tell me that they love it. I always wanted to do something related to pharmacy and medical, since my dad is a chiropractor and my mother is a nurse, and I like helping others, I thought maybe I should do it. But when I was younger I hung around the wrong crowd that would always tell me that medical was not cut out for me, and I would be stupid enough to listen back then. So for me it was kinda cool that my wife is pushing me into pharmacy. :D. Only thing that sucks is that im 26 now, but I guess its not about the age , or the time it will take me, its more about the prestige and respect that I will get out from my family. Not to mention a great accomplishment and satisfaction that I will get out of actually helping people in need for a change

Don't worry about the age thing, I was 25 when I started back to school after the military. I was 29 when I entered pharm school and I'll be 33 when I'm done. I'm young for some of the people in my school. We have a 50 year old in the class above me and a few 40 somethings in my class.

I'm also Vietnamese and come from a strict family. That said I was pressured to do anything but become a physician. My parents do not want me to become a physician because they think the lifestyle of a physician is not for me. At first they wanted to become an engineer which I majored in for two years until I declared premed. They were only semi-happy when I switched to go the medicine route. When it came down to time of applying I was encouraged by my parents to switch to pharmacy. Luckily I did thought about pharmacy as a possible career while doing premed so I did volunteer in a hospital pharmacy for two years. As you guys can guess since I was originally premed I am interested in clinical pharmacy hopefully oncology pharmacy. And yes, a pharmacist does hold a title of "Dr." because of the PharmD. I am sure we call our dentists "doctor so and so" with their DDS and DMD so it's only fair that we get the same treatment.

I'm also Vietnamese and come from a strict family. That said I was pressured to do anything but become a physician. My parents do not want me to become a physician because they think the lifestyle of a physician is not for me. At first they wanted to become an engineer which I majored in for two years until I declared premed. They were only semi-happy when I switched to go the medicine route. When it came down to time of applying I was encouraged by my parents to switch to pharmacy. Luckily I did thought about pharmacy as a possible career while doing premed so I did volunteer in a hospital pharmacy for two years. As you guys can guess since I was originally premed I am interested in clinical pharmacy hopefully oncology pharmacy. And yes, a pharmacist does hold a title of "Dr." because of the PharmD. I am sure we call our dentists "doctor so and so" with their DDS and DMD so it's only fair that we get the same treatment.

I agree that as future pharmacists, we are technically "doctors". However, most people do not address pharmacists as "Dr." so and so because of a misunderstanding or misconception of the profession. Few people realize just how much education retail pharmacists at Walgreens or CVS undergo before assuming that position. Many believe all you have to do to become a pharmacist is to get your "pharmacy certificate" in six months time. Therefore, there is little respect for the pharmacist. An exception is if your name tag at Walgreens or one of the other retail giants is labeled "Dr. John Doe", pharmacist. But don't worry so much about that anyway because the important thing is to practice your profession and serve your patients in the best and most efficient possible manner. You'll be more satisfied in knowing you're truly making a difference in your patients' lives compared to simply being called "doctor". A Ph.D. in art history or music can be addressed as "Dr." in a professional setting, but what difference does it make? Is this person contributing to the healthcare management of another human being? No...so, not much satisfaction will be obtained in being addressed as such. Someone can call you doctor without you even making a true difference.

I agree that as future pharmacists, we are technically "doctors". However, most people do not address pharmacists as "Dr." so and so because of a misunderstanding or misconception of the profession. Few people realize just how much education retail pharmacists at Walgreens or CVS undergo before assuming that position. Many believe all you have to do to become a pharmacist is to get your "pharmacy certificate" in six months time. Therefore, there is little respect for the pharmacist. An exception is if your name tag at Walgreens or one of the other retail giants is labeled "Dr. John Doe", pharmacist. But don't worry so much about that anyway because the important thing is to practice your profession and serve your patients in the best and most efficient possible manner. You'll be more satisfied in knowing you're truly making a difference in your patients' lives compared to simply being called "doctor". A Ph.D. in art history or music can be addressed as "Dr." in a professional setting, but what difference does it make? Is this person contributing to the healthcare management of another human being? No...so, not much satisfaction will be obtained in being addressed as such. Someone can call you doctor without you even making a true difference.

Not that I am slamming you at all, but I think you are way off by saying pharmacists don't have any respect. There are some older doctors that don't give us much respect b/c of the view they had of the profession way back when. We are almost always in the top five, if not the top ten, most trusted and respected professions in this country. Where did you get the misconception that pharmacists aren't respected from?

Not that I am slamming you at all, but I think you are way off by saying pharmacists don't have any respect. There are some older doctors that don't give us much respect b/c of the view they had of the profession way back when. We are almost always in the top five, if not the top ten, most trusted and respected professions in this country. Where did you get the misconception that pharmacists aren't respected from?

I've always known pharmacy is regarded as one of the most trusted and respected professions in this country. However, it certainly doesn't appear so when the public defames individual pharmacists by name calling, yelling at them, and harrassing them. That is clearly a lack of respect. Do they do that to their medical doctor? I think not. Respect also comes in having at least a vague idea of the education your health care professional went through. When the majority of Americans regard pharmacists as "pill pushers" or seriously believe that "my friend dropped out of high school and he is getting his pharmacy certificate in six months and will be a pharmacist" , that is a sign of disrespect as well. The deep-rooted lack of respect is also prevalent when more knowledgeable people, those who know pharmacists have doctorate degrees, still do not believe or refuse to address the pharmacist as "Dr." such and such simply because he or she is not a physician. But such people do call their dentist, their chiropractor, or heck, perhaps even their DPT credentialed physical therapist "Dr". That is a sign of respect and let's be honest with each other...though pharmacy is a great profession and I can't see myself doing anything else, it is not as respected as you would think by reading those surveys about pharmacists being the most trusted. I work in a retail pharmacy as a clerk/tech and see the reality for what it is. A survey can tell you one thing, but actually observing everything has led me to believe otherwise.

I've always known pharmacy is regarded as one of the most trusted and respected professions in this country. However, it certainly doesn't appear so when the public defames individual pharmacists by name calling, yelling at them, and harrassing them. That is clearly a lack of respect. Do they do that to their medical doctor? I think not. Respect also comes in having at least a vague idea of the education your health care professional went through. When the majority of Americans regard pharmacists as "pill pushers" or seriously believe that "my friend dropped out of high school and he is getting his pharmacy certificate in six months and will be a pharmacist" , that is a sign of disrespect as well. The deep-rooted lack of respect is also prevalent when more knowledgeable people, those who know pharmacists have doctorate degrees, still do not believe or refuse to address the pharmacist as "Dr." such and such simply because he or she is not a physician. But such people do call their dentist, their chiropractor, or heck, perhaps even their DPT credentialed physical therapist "Dr". That is a sign of respect and let's be honest with each other...though pharmacy is a great profession and I can't see myself doing anything else, it is not as respected as you would think by reading those surveys about pharmacists being the most trusted. I work in a retail pharmacy as a clerk/tech and see the reality for what it is. A survey can tell you one thing, but actually observing everything has led me to believe otherwise.

Wow, I feel sorry for the pharmacists where you live. The pharmacists here in San Antonio don't get treated with any of the disrespect that you have stated. Most of the new PharmD's that I know don't want to be called "Dr." because they are humble about their title. Plus, they work with RPh's and it would seem condescending, not to mention it doesn't carry any more weight in a retail setting than the title RPh. I work at an independent pharmacy and the customers/patients are extremely respectful and courteous to everyone that works there, save for the occasional a**hole. I've seen how people interact with pharmacists in other retail settings and I haven't seen much in the way of disrespect at Walgreens, CVS, or our local grocer. If that's the way people are treating pharmacists in your area, I would definitely work very hard to change that impression or leave and go somewhere else where you will be more appreciated.

Is it really that big of a deal to be called doctor? I could care less if people address me as doctor or not in the future as long as they treat me with respect.

Irishxman, have you ever had a customer tell you to hurry up because all you need to do is slap a label on the bottle and ring them out?

I agree with what doctor19x86 said.......I know a lot of ignorant people that thinks you can become a pharmacist in 6 months. I remember one time this RN asked me what's my major. I told her I'm going for pharmacy, and she replied with, "That's pretty good. So you'll be done in 18 months?" LOL! You can't be serious! Some people even think RN makes more money than pharmacists in general. LOL true story.

I think it MIGHT have something to do with the setting you perform in. Most people think pharmacists only work in a "deli" store(being sarcastic on the "deli" part). Who would've thought that employees who work at a "greeting card, school supplies, candy" dollar store hold a doctorate degree?