changing to rads from another residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maj218

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
i recently matched into ENT, but am wondering if it's possible to switch to radiology after one year. ENT recently changed so that the pgy1 year is no longer a straight gen surg prelim (instead you do some ENT, rads, gen surg, anesthesia, ICU). i was just wondering what the chances were of getting into a rads program during my pgy2 year without missing a year in between. any thoughts??
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am actually considering those 2 for residency. Could you tell me what makes you want to switch?

Try posting on auntminnie.com - Not sure if anyone on that forum can help you either, but you will likely get more responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most programs offer their PGY-2 spots a year in advance (for applicants trying to match into a prelim and a categorical position). For this reason there are few spots available for PGY-2.

Your best chance, if you dont want to lose a year, is to try to find programs that end up with openings and contact them about getting into one of those spots (I know a couple of people that did this). At the same time you could put your application into the standard match and go for a position that way. Worst comes to worst you have to spend a year doing research or something. But in the end you will be in rads which is what counts.

if you were competitive enough to match into ENT i'm sure you'll be able to find something decent in rads. i was gung-ho ENT throughout medical school and ended up changing into rads...i've met a couple other people deciding between the two as well, i can't really figure out why it's coupled between those two.