Chapman or Sacramento State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dc-dpt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I have been looking around at this forum for sometime now but this is my first time posting. I have been accepted into both Chapman and Sacramento State's program. I would prefer to stay in Northern California and that along with the lower tuition makes Sac appealing. My concern is that Sac has only one Gross Anatomy course in the curriculum while most other schools have at least 2. I know Chapman is a really good school. Does anyone have any insight into this? I would appreciate any feedback, Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How much $ are we talking about? Think total cost of attendance, i.e., tuition + living expenses + misc. expenses. If the difference is more than 10-15K, I'd go with the cheaper institution. Once you have learned the basics of Anatomy, you can always find out more on your own through books, YouTube, discussions with your profs and peers, etc. No need to have a 2nd class spoon-fed to you to the tune of $10K extra.

Hi I have been looking around at this forum for sometime now but this is my first time posting. I have been accepted into both Chapman and Sacramento State's program. I would prefer to stay in Northern California and that along with the lower tuition makes Sac appealing. My concern is that Sac has only one Gross Anatomy course in the curriculum while most other schools have at least 2. I know Chapman is a really good school. Does anyone have any insight into this? I would appreciate any feedback, Thanks!

What is the anatomy timelength and hours per week? We had 7.5 months and dissected literally every muscle in the body along with the organs and plexi and more invasive dissections like tmj, craniotomy, pelvic floor. It will get repeated in biomechanics and kinesiology courses. From there it will also get repeated in therapeutic exercise prescription courses, manual muscle testing, HVLA, and Palpation courses.

The pure anatomy should be repeated through the extensive musculoskeletal coursework as well. The big thing is to learn how to picture 3D pulls along the muscle fibers and how they present in planes of movement when you watch a patient From an outside perspective or to know what to reference for structures that get affected during disease and injuries to identify functional deficits and how it comes together with the other systems.

Can you go at all times of the week for extra study? We were in there at 2 am on weekends sometimes and can run circles around the medical students when it comes to structures and tissues.

Look at the board pass rates. If they great, then the school is doing its justice to get you licensed. From there always always always go to the cheapest option.

My board pass rates are 100%. 95%+ first attempt and graduation rates in the mid to high 90s. Usually someone decides it's not for them......very rarely a class will have someone fail out before getting hallway through

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How much $ are we talking about? Think total cost of attendance, i.e., tuition + living expenses + misc. expenses. If the difference is more than 10-15K, I'd go with the cheaper institution. Once you have learned the basics of Anatomy, you can always find out more on your own through books, YouTube, discussions with your profs and peers, etc. No need to have a 2nd class spoon-fed to you to the tune of $10K extra.
I agree with you. Actually it is over $30,00 more. I am definitely thinking Sacramento.

What is the anatomy timelength and hours per week? We had 7.5 months and dissected literally every muscle in the body along with the organs and plexi and more invasive dissections like tmj, craniotomy, pelvic floor. It will get repeated in biomechanics and kinesiology courses. From there it will also get repeated in therapeutic exercise prescription courses, manual muscle testing, HVLA, and Palpation courses.

The pure anatomy should be repeated through the extensive musculoskeletal coursework as well. The big thing is to learn how to picture 3D pulls along the muscle fibers and how they present in planes of movement when you watch a patient From an outside perspective or to know what to reference for structures that get affected during disease and injuries to identify functional deficits and how it comes together with the other systems.

Can you go at all times of the week for extra study? We were in there at 2 am on weekends sometimes and can run circles around the medical students when it comes to structures and tissues.

Look at the board pass rates. If they great, then the school is doing its justice to get you licensed. From there always always always go to the cheapest option.

My board pass rates are 100%. 95%+ first attempt and graduation rates in the mid to high 90s. Usually someone decides it's not for them......very rarely a class will have someone fail out before getting hallway through
Thank You for your response. I had heard mixed reviews about Sacramento, they do have a 94% first attempt and 97% overall pass rate, 98 % graduation rate. Chapman has 100% pass rate but is a good $30,000 more. I'm strongly leaning towards Sacramento State.

Last edited:
Thank You for your response. I had heard mixed reviews about Sacramento, they do have a 94% first attempt and 97% overall pass rate, 98 % graduation rate. Chapman has 100% pass rate but is a good $30,000 more. I'm strongly leaning towards Sacramento State.

Stay Sacramento and stay close to the faculty to make sure you pass everything decently through office hours or study techniques.

Disclaimer: Chapmans pharmacy school is run by an administration actively using the student lending system to siphon funds off of students social security through their 3 year program. The head hunts for consumers on here and the pharmacy students wreck them in here. Use the search function.

I have no idea if the other departments are that messed up but just a warning. Schools like USC are trash for breaking the student budget for their health professional schools. Be careful. Stay cheap and manageable as well as outcome oriented only.

I agree with you. Actually it is over $30,00 more. I am definitely thinking Sacramento.

Then it's a no-brainer - Sacramento it should be. With the savings, you can hire a private tutor for Anatomy!

I think you'll find out that most of the learning in DPT school happens outside of the classroom. The professors give you an outline and hit a few high points in class, and it's up to you to dig in on your own.

I have a friend who is in Sac State and another who is at Chapman and both love their respective programs. I definitely agree with the previous posters in that what you learn in anatomy will be reinforced continuously in your other courses such as Biomechanics, Ortho, etc. Personally, I'd go with the option that saves you the most in the long run and not be too perturbed by Sac State having only one anatomy course. At CSULB we have "3" semesters of anatomy (technically summer is broken up in half, so it is actually more like 2 full semesters) and it definitely took awhile before it all settled. Best of luck to you and whichever school you decide on going to!

I have a friend who is in Sac State and another who is at Chapman and both love their respective programs. I definitely agree with the previous posters in that what you learn in anatomy will be reinforced continuously in your other courses such as Biomechanics, Ortho, etc. Personally, I'd go with the option that saves you the most in the long run and not be too perturbed by Sac State having only one anatomy course. At CSULB we have "3" semesters of anatomy (technically summer is broken up in half, so it is actually more like 2 full semesters) and it definitely took awhile before it all settled. Best of luck to you and whichever school you decide on going to!
Thanks!! I am leaning towards Sac. All the feedback here as been really helpful.