Chapman University offers pre-pharmacy program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChapmanPharmacy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Chapman University currently offers a two year pre-pharmacy program for stellar high school seniors. It is called the Freshman Early Assurance Program (FEAP).

Competitive applicants will have completed 5 or more AP course, have GPA around 4.0, and an SAT of 1990 or better.

Students who are accepted into the program complete their 66 required pre-req units at the Chapman University campus in Orange, California. Students are guaranteed a pharmacy school interview in third third semester if they have a GPA above 3.4, have no grade less than a C, and have not had any disciplinary issues. If accepted into the pharmacy program, they will transfer to the Pharmacy School at the Rinker Health Campus in Irvine, California.

Applications for Fall 2015 will be accepted until Jan 15, 2015. On

Contact Dr. Lawrence Brown, [email protected] if you have any questions.

Note: The Chapman University School of Pharmacy (CUSP) is in the process of gaining accreditation. We just received approval for a Fall visit during our first review by the ACPE Board in June. For more information on the accreditation process visit www.chapman.edu/pharmacy

Members don't see this ad.

If someone doesn't have financial help from his parents, how much would he need to borrow for the 2 year FEAP and 3 year PharmD program?

If someone doesn't have financial help from his parents, how much would he need to borrow for the 2 year FEAP and 3 year PharmD program?
Since there is no federal student aid right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Since there is no federal student aid right?

For undergrad, it depends on your family income. Don't expect to get any grants for professional school.

Posted using SDN Mobile

For undergrad, it depends on your family income. Don't expect to get any grants for professional school.

Posted using SDN Mobile
I understand that and am well aware of it.

But if this school isn't accredited then students can't get federal loans right? Similar to Cali north state?

Unlike California Northstate, Chapman is not a stand alone pharmacy school. I suspect pharmacy students at Chapman would be able to get federal financial aid.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Chapman University currently offers a two year pre-pharmacy program for stellar high school seniors. It is called the Freshman Early Assurance Program (FEAP).

Competitive applicants will have completed 5 or more AP course, have GPA around 4.0, and an SAT of 1990 or better.

Students who are accepted into the program complete their 66 required pre-req units at the Chapman University campus in Orange, California. Students are guaranteed a pharmacy school interview in third third semester if they have a GPA above 3.4, have no grade less than a C, and have not had any disciplinary issues. If accepted into the pharmacy program, they will transfer to the Pharmacy School at the Rinker Health Campus in Irvine, California.

Applications for Fall 2015 will be accepted until Jan 15, 2015. On

Contact Dr. Lawrence Brown, [email protected] if you have any questions.

Note: The Chapman University School of Pharmacy (CUSP) is in the process of gaining accreditation. We just received approval for a Fall visit during our first review by the ACPE Board in June. For more information on the accreditation process visit www.chapman.edu/pharmacy

How do you personally feel about the over abundance of pharmacy schools? What makes you stand out from many of the other schools in California?

Reactions: 1 users
How do you personally feel about the over abundance of pharmacy schools? What makes you stand out from many of the other schools in California?

now that is an excellent question !! :) :thumbup: :thumbup:

Since this guy doesn't want to reply to a straight forward question, I am going to calculate for him. I am just going to calculate the cost of the Pharm.D program and not undergraduate. Knowing Chapman is a private school, I am sure their undergraduate will also cost an arm and leg.

Pharm.D program (3 years)
The cost of tuition and living expenses is taken from their website:
http://www.chapman.edu/pharmacy/programs/doctor-of-pharmacy/estimated-cost-of-attendance.aspx

To simplify the calculation, I am not going to include campus parking, health insurance, etc. and I am going to assume 6.8% interest rate (grad plus loan interest rate is higher). Just remember, there is virtually no grants for pharmacy school. You would need to take out loans.

Tuition: $72,000 for year 1; $72,000 for year 2; $48,000 for year 3
Living expenses: $20,000 per year

After year 1: 98,256 (= $72,000 tuition + $20,000 living expenses + $6,256 interest)
After year 2: $203,193 (= $98,256 + $104,937)
After year 3: $268,274 (= $51,264 + $217,010)

You will graduate with a grand total of $268,274 in student loan debt with a high annual interest rate of 6.8%. This doesn't include any loans from undergraduate.

Let me ask the original poster another question and I hope he will answer this question. If a student wants to pay off this debt in 10 years, how much does he need to pay per month?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Since this guy doesn't want to reply to a straight forward question, I am going to calculate for him. I am just going to calculate the cost of the Pharm.D program and not undergraduate. Knowing Chapman is a private school, I am sure their undergraduate with also cost an arm and leg.

Pharm.D program (3 years)
The cost of tuition and living expenses is taken from their website:
http://www.chapman.edu/pharmacy/programs/doctor-of-pharmacy/estimated-cost-of-attendance.aspx

To simplify the calculation, I am not going to include campus parking, health insurance, etc. and I am going to assume 6.8% interest rate (grad plus loan interest is higher). Just remember, there is virtually no grants for pharmacy school. You would need to take out loans.

Tuition: $72,000 for year 1; $72,000 for year 2; $48,000 for year 3
Living expenses: $20,000 per year

After year 1: 98,256 (= $72,000 tuition + $20,000 living expenses + $6,256 interest)
After year 2: $203,193 (= $98,256 + $104,937)
After year 3: $268,274 (= $51,264 + $217,010)

You will graduate with a grand total of $268,274 in student loan debt with a high annual interest rate of 6.8%. This doesn't include any loans from undergraduate.

Let me ask the original poster another question and I hope he will answer this question. If a student wants to pay off this debt in 10 years, how much does he need to pay per month?
Not enough on an Rph salary.

Thanks to everyone for their questions and my apology for the late reply.

DruggieDoRight: I feel that it depends on the new school that is opening. Our school of pharmacy is part of Chapman University; a private institution that has been around since 1851, has great leadership in President Doti and Chancellor Struppa, and is in great financial shape. Also, if a new school is focused on producing pharmacists who are prepared to only work in the traditional areas of retail and hospital, then their graduates will have a tough time. However, Chapman Pharmacy is focused on training our students to work in emerging team-based care environments such as Accountable Care Organizations, Patient-Centered Medical Homes, Care Transition Organizations, and within Medical Groups to provide much needed Medication Management Services to optimize the therapy for patients and help physicians meet their Star Rating goals. The number of pharmacists needed in these emerging areas is going to greatly expand over the next decade, and our graduates will be ready to take on these new roles.

BMBiology: You are correct that pharmacy school is expensive, and your numbers are pretty close to what it will cost to attend any private school in California. However it is much less expensive than Med school or Dental school. And since we are a three-year program, you will have an additional year of earnings compared to the four year schools. But if cost is a huge issue, then their are two State pharmacy schools in California that are about half what the private schools pay, plus there are plenty of out of state public schools that are less expensive as well. Many students that I talk to feel that the unique learning experience they will get at Chapman, and the unique job opportunities they will have available after graduation makes it all worth it. I graduated from University of the Pacific 15 years ago with a little over $100k in loans, and I'm still paying them off at nearly 6%. And to your final question, a rough estimate would be about $3,500 a month to pay it off in ten years. Over 15 years it would be $2,400 a month. Over 30 years it would be $1,760 a month. But at least you have the ability to have a job that pays you between $130k-$150k a year. As for Chapman Undergrad, it is $45k a year. However, in the FEAP program, you only have to do two years of pre-pharmacy work, and between Chapman merit scholarships that are available to all students, and need based grants, $10-20k is more common.

I hope that I have provided answers to all of your questions. If not, or if you have a follow-up question please post again.

As for accreditation, we just received approval from the ACPE Board for a Fall visit and to be able to accept students into the program. Here is the official language.

Chapman University’s School of Pharmacy program has been authorized by the Board of Directors for an on-site evaluation to be scheduled during fall 2014 for consideration of Precandidate status. Authorization of an on-site evaluation for consideration of Precandidate status does not carry with it nor imply an accreditation status. The on-site evaluation is authorized solely for purposes of gathering additional information in furtherance of an accreditation decision. The Board will consider Precandidate status at the next regularly scheduled meeting, which occur in January and June of each year, following the on-site evaluation. For an explanation of the ACPE accreditation process, consult the Office of the Dean or the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education, 135 South LaSalle Street, Suite 4100, Chicago, Illinois 60503, 312-644-3575; FAX 312-664-4652; websitewww.acpe-accredit.org.

Regarding the Federal loan situation, Chapman Pharmacy students will not have any problem getting federal loans. We already have our WASC accreditation, as does our parent institution Chapman University, and so we are already approved to receive Federal Loans. California Northstate was a brand new stand alone school, that did not have WASC accreditation at any level.

Dr. LB Brown