You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Chapman's and VS
Started by gwinnie
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
For OMM questions always start with the answers then look at the last line of the actual question before trying to get into that mess. Chatmans are pure memorization. Viscerosomatic's of other stuff is fairly simple: viscerals = organ stuff; somatic = muscle and bone. So if I adjust a bone and it causes nausea then the body just had a somato(bone) visceral (nausea) reflex. Hope that helps.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My approach to those types of questions:
Chapman's tells you the organ if you have those memorized. There is no variability there (e.g. LF ICS 7 will always be spleen, RT ICS 5 will always be liver.) If they give you these, you should 100% have the organ in question.
Viscerosomatics: These are more vague but it's the same concept. Paraspinal muscle tenderness in T5-T9 you should immediately think forgut, then recall what is contained within the forgut (basically most everything superior to the ligament of Treitz.) After that you go off HPI (no bowel sounds? Constipation/obstruction. Substernal chest pain? GERD. Recently drank 3 5ths & puked blood everywhere? Mallory Weiss/Boerhaave or something. Weight loss? Cancer. No other s/s? Meandering; gtfo.)
Memorize the chapman's, then memorize the foregut/midgut/hindgut nerve roots/ganglia/innervation, then start trying to bring HPI into play. Chapman's & viscerosomatic reflexes are only supposed to tell you the general location of the pathology, not tell you the Dx. Gotta use outside knowledge for that.
Chapman's tells you the organ if you have those memorized. There is no variability there (e.g. LF ICS 7 will always be spleen, RT ICS 5 will always be liver.) If they give you these, you should 100% have the organ in question.
Viscerosomatics: These are more vague but it's the same concept. Paraspinal muscle tenderness in T5-T9 you should immediately think forgut, then recall what is contained within the forgut (basically most everything superior to the ligament of Treitz.) After that you go off HPI (no bowel sounds? Constipation/obstruction. Substernal chest pain? GERD. Recently drank 3 5ths & puked blood everywhere? Mallory Weiss/Boerhaave or something. Weight loss? Cancer. No other s/s? Meandering; gtfo.)
Memorize the chapman's, then memorize the foregut/midgut/hindgut nerve roots/ganglia/innervation, then start trying to bring HPI into play. Chapman's & viscerosomatic reflexes are only supposed to tell you the general location of the pathology, not tell you the Dx. Gotta use outside knowledge for that.
These things don't exist. Spend 5 minutes before a test trying to memorize them and then forget them.
They may not "exist", but are often easy points on tests, the shelf, and COMLEX. This happens in both first-order ("point in left fifth intercostal space corresponds to what?") and second-order ("patient presents with nausea and XYZ symptoms" and has somatic dysfunctions at gallbladder spinal level and gallbladder Chapman's...cross out any answer choice not involving gallbladder) questions.
Same goes for cranial. I doubt many "believe" in it, but you will most definitely get cranial questions both at school and on the COMLEX.
Sadly I only got one or two on mine. I had a lot of OMM, believed I counted 20 - 25 questions in each 2 hour section (including the psuedonuero stuff). I had a ton of vicerosomatics tho, as well as some rib stuff. And I always feel like they ask lower extremities things I have never seen before.They may not "exist", but are often easy points on tests, the shelf, and COMLEX. This happens in both first-order ("point in left fifth intercostal space corresponds to what?") and second-order ("patient presents with nausea and XYZ symptoms" and has somatic dysfunctions at gallbladder spinal level and gallbladder Chapman's...cross out any answer choice not involving gallbladder) questions.
Same goes for cranial. I doubt many "believe" in it, but you will most definitely get cranial questions both at school and on the COMLEX.
Mine were VS, chapmans, and videos I had no idea what they were doing in besides moaning in fake pain when they touched stuff
just use savarase and combank omm its not worth wasting time on anything else
just use savarase and combank omm its not worth wasting time on anything else
If I wasn't so pressed for time those videos were downright hilarious. Especially the 'oooohhhh' guy.Mine were VS, chapmans, and videos I had no idea what they were doing in besides moaning in fake pain when they touched stuff
just use savarase and combank omm its not worth wasting time on anything else
Don't put quotations around exist and believe lol.They may not "exist", but are often easy points on tests, the shelf, and COMLEX. This happens in both first-order ("point in left fifth intercostal space corresponds to what?") and second-order ("patient presents with nausea and XYZ symptoms" and has somatic dysfunctions at gallbladder spinal level and gallbladder Chapman's...cross out any answer choice not involving gallbladder) questions.
Same goes for cranial. I doubt many "believe" in it, but you will most definitely get cranial questions both at school and on the COMLEX.
And yes I know they will be on tests, quizzes, and boards. That's why I literally wrote memorize them the day of.
You can miss half the OMM questions on COMLEX and still get well into the 90th percentiles.
If I wasn't so pressed for time those videos were downright hilarious. Especially the 'oooohhhh' guy.
It was so bad
Have you watched sketchy path?bump
tl;dr I've had trouble picking out buzzwords for answering vague clinical presentation questions especially for GI and GU. Tried fixing it by studying up more and am now just in the weeds with every question. If there are any big-picture type people out there who look at these questions and just pick out a few words, I think it could at least give me a better starting point than where I'm at now. Thanks.
(I thought my original post was a lot longer than it actually was and I now realize this is a terrible tl;dr)
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 402
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 1K