Aug 17, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey,

I'm applying to optometry school this year, and I'm only allowed to submit 1 character letter of reference. I know this a pre-med forum, but this forum is a bit more active, and my question is a more general question about LOR. I can get a potential letter of reference from 2 different people.

1) I worked at a lab over the summer for 3 months. The principal investigator has offered to write a strong LOR. But the problem is I don't if a LOR from PI would be good idea for optometry. The pros of this is that he's a well-known established PI. One of the requirements for the character reference LOR, is that the person assess and comment on various qualities, such as leadership. I'm not sure how he can asses these qualities in a lab setting. I didn't directly work with the PI in the lab, I worked closely with a post-doc in the lab, I mostly talked to the PI during lab meetings and such.

2) I volunteered at an autism center last summer, and some time during highschool. I carried out various therapy sessions with the autistic kids. I could ask the volunteer coordinator to write me a strong LOR. The problem is I already asked her to write a LOR for some previous jobs, and I need her to write another LOR this year for another position. So I feel bad for asking a lot from her, but I think she will say yes if I ask. The pros of this is that this job involves me working with people, so it's more related to health field.

I feel like both the PI and volunteer coordinator know me at the same personal level. I didn't form deep personal connections with them however.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Mar 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I would go with whoever you think knows you better/is a better writer. You said that your volunteer coordinator already wrote you some LORs, but you have the somewhat mistaken assumption that asking her for another means much more work for her. She can likely just reuse a lot of the previous letters.

RuffDay

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I would use the PI's letter. Is there a way where the professor can sign in ?

Anyways, make sure you attached your resume and personal statement when you are requesting the letter of recommendation. And always ask if they need you to do anything to make it easier for their part. They might even ask you to draft it up and they will finalize it before sending the LOR out.

By the way, wouldn't it be stronger if you can get an optometrist to write your letter?

OP
T
Aug 17, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I would use the PI's letter. Is there a way where the professor can sign in ?

Anyways, make sure you attached your resume and personal statement when you are requesting the letter of recommendation. And always ask if they need you to do anything to make it easier for their part. They might even ask you to draft it up and they will finalize it before sending the LOR out.

By the way, wouldn't it be stronger if you can get an optometrist to write your letter?

What do you mean sign in? Yes I need to submit 2 LOR, 1 has to be from an optometrist, the 2nd one can be from anybody.

RuffDay

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I am not sure how it works for your case, but I know some of my friends asked for a letter of recommendation from their research professor and the PI would provide all the information or draft it up.

That is an option, but if it wasn't presented to you then it is probably not possible.