charge-off affecting eligibility for fed loans?

Started by vinganca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vinganca

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've got a charge-off on one of my credit reports. I'm doing what I can to resolve it (trying for a PFD agreement), but I'm worried about it affecting my ability to get Grad PLUS loans.

If I pay the account and the status is changed to "paid after charged off", does that make a difference? What about having a cosigner?

Anyone with negative accounts on their credit who can give me any advice re: loans?
 
I know that. 🙂 What I'm asking is, will that prevent me from getting federal (specifically Grad PLUS) loans? And if so, would it be possible to get over that by having a creditworthy co-signer?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that. 🙂 What I'm asking is, will that prevent me from getting federal (specifically Grad PLUS) loans? And if so, would it be possible to get over that by having a creditworthy co-signer?

It shouldn't. I have one and all my grad PLUS lender cared about was that it was paid (ie I didn't have any outstanding collections or charge offs). I did need a manual override as the computer automatically declined me but the override was quick and painless. Alternative loans are a different story though-- if you need one of those you will likely need a cosigner. Good luck!
 
It shouldn't. I have one and all my grad PLUS lender cared about was that it was paid (ie I didn't have any outstanding collections or charge offs). I did need a manual override as the computer automatically declined me but the override was quick and painless. Alternative loans are a different story though-- if you need one of those you will likely need a cosigner. Good luck!

I had chargeoffs, and around 4 yrs later (now) did not need any type of override to qualify for grad plus loans, current credit score is 700+ which maybe helped? I strongly doubt that paying off a charged off debt is good. I was told that for some debt, the "date of most recent activity" will change to the date you made the last payment; if an amount was charged off 4 yrs ago & I made a payment now, that would make it worse for anyone viewing my credit report; let sleeping dogs lie
 
I strongly doubt that paying off a charged off debt is good. I was told that for some debt, the "date of most recent activity" will change to the date you made the last payment; if an amount was charged off 4 yrs ago & I made a payment now, that would make it worse for anyone viewing my credit report; let sleeping dogs lie

In general, you're absolutely right. In terms of my credit score, it certainly doesn't help to pay a charged off debt. But, my lender required that it be paid for the manual override. You probably used a different lender, and I'm sure the requirements are all slightly different.