Charles R. Drew University (CDU) MBS 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buccimane1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I decided to make this thread since I didn't see a recent one. Apps are open until June 30. Has anyone that has taken this program care to share their experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I really enjoyed the experience I liked how it was really personal between students and faculty. The experience and the learning environment is what you make of it you can coast your way through or you can challenge yourself and come out better with training there then you would with traditional undergrad courses. The experience and the learning environment is what you make of it you can coast your way through or you can challenge yourself and come out better with training there than you would with traditional undergrad courses. The program itself is advantageous because it allows you to be exposed to things in the institution like a lot of different opportunities to get out into the community around the area and make differences in the way you like to.

Hey. Class of '18 grad here.

Here is a rebuttal from one of the questions someone pm'd me. Hope it helps!

1. Classes Mon &Weds - 4 pm -7 pm (one class a day for three hours. Every day is a different class). Tues - 3 pm - 6 pm. Thurs you have 2 classes one 3-5 break from 5-6 and then second class 6-9 pm. No classes Fridays. This will be the set up for classes for spring and fall unless things have changed since '18.

2. There are people available that will help you build your application for sure. This is moreso offered by the University than the Masters program. The Masters program will allow you to get a very strong committee letter from faculty most who have dual appointments with Drew and UCLA (both Universities do alot together and have falculty in the DGSOM as well as the different colleges at Drew ). So overall yes you will definitely be taken care of lol.

3. I personally think this program is the best in the country. I had a classmate who was getting his masters with me who already did his first two years at Drew/UCLA. He said we basically we're learning ~75% of what first year med students learn plus pathophysiology. I literally used the STEP 1 book as a study guide for some of my classes. I say it's one of the best because 1. The teachers care so much about your success. 2. No other Masters offer a full thesis in 1 year. (It's super intense no lie but it's doable). 3. The opportunities you get are endless here. There is so much going on at Drew it's amazing. I chose here over several other Masters programs and I'm glad I did. If I could go back in time and would have gotten accepted to say a masters at Harvard or another ivy, knowing what I know and what I've accomplished here I would still choose Drew's masters program.

4. Vibe of the program- Idk the program is dope. It's a good mix between intense but chill at the same time. Like the actual course work is a significant amount but for the most part the professors are chill and not extra. That was important to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey. Class of '18 grad here.

Here is a rebuttal from one of the questions someone pm'd me. Hope it helps!

1. Classes Mon &Weds - 4 pm -7 pm (one class a day for three hours. Every day is a different class). Tues - 3 pm - 6 pm. Thurs you have 2 classes one 3-5 break from 5-6 and then second class 6-9 pm. No classes Fridays. This will be the set up for classes for spring and fall unless things have changed since '18.

2. There are people available that will help you build your application for sure. This is moreso offered by the University than the Masters program. The Masters program will allow you to get a very strong committee letter from faculty most who have dual appointments with Drew and UCLA (both Universities do alot together and have falculty in the DGSOM as well as the different colleges at Drew ). So overall yes you will definitely be taken care of lol.

3. I personally think this program is the best in the country. I had a classmate who was getting his masters with me who already did his first two years at Drew/UCLA. He said we basically we're learning ~75% of what first year med students learn plus pathophysiology. I literally used the STEP 1 book as a study guide for some of my classes. I say it's one of the best because 1. The teachers care so much about your success. 2. No other Masters offer a full thesis in 1 year. (It's super intense no lie but it's doable). 3. The opportunities you get are endless here. There is so much going on at Drew it's amazing. I chose here over several other Masters programs and I'm glad I did. If I could go back in time and would have gotten accepted to say a masters at Harvard or another ivy, knowing what I know and what I've accomplished here I would still choose Drew's masters program.

4. Vibe of the program- Idk the program is dope. It's a good mix between intense but chill at the same time. Like the actual course work is a significant amount but for the most part the professors are chill and not extra. That was important to me.

Thank you for this detailed response! I had a interview recently but still waiting to hear back. Do you have info on how long it typically takes to hear back? And if accepted, when do classes start?

Thank you for this detailed response! I had a interview recently but still waiting to hear back. Do you have info on how long it typically takes to hear back? And if accepted, when do classes start?
I'm a bit removed from all that but I would imagine no more than 3 weeks. Classes usually start in August.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Hello! I heard back after a week and a day or two—basically within 2 weeks.

Hello! I heard back after a week and a day or two—basically within 2 weeks.

Got it! I really love the program, and would really love to get in! Is there a good chance that if you scored an interview, you're likely to get accepted?

I'm a bit removed from all that but I would imagine no more than 3 weeks. Classes usually start in August.

Thanks! Also, I know that you graduated sometime ago, but I was wondering if you have any insight on whether the program makes you a competitive for an MD-PhD program if you don't have an extremely high GPA? Sorry, if this is too specific!

Also, any study tips?

Just received my acceptance a few minutes ago as well! So so excited!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! Also, I know that you graduated sometime ago, but I was wondering if you have any insight on whether the program makes you a competitive for an MD-PhD program if you don't have an extremely high GPA? Sorry, if this is too specific!

Also, any study tips?
Granted the opportunities you get it definitely will as long as you take care of your MCAT.

Study the PowerPoints and use the books as reinforcement. Get your hands on a USMLE STEP 1 book. Much of the info you learn will come from there.

Granted the opportunities you get it definitely will as long as you take care of your MCAT.

Study the PowerPoints and use the books as reinforcement. Get your hands on a USMLE STEP 1 book. Much of the info you learn will come from there.

Got it! I know the program is intense but not sure what makes it very intense. Is it just the topics, how the class is taught or just needing to balance both classes and research at the same time? Also, thank you so much for answering all these questions!

I just got accepted, I was wondering how others are going about finding housing/roommates?

Hello! I just interviewed today and had some questions about the program. Is it beneficial for me to attend this program if I’m looking to enhance my med school application (didn’t get the best undergrad grades), even though this isn’t a special masters program?