Charles R Drew

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dr.choc said:
I received my waitlist letter today too...so disappointing!! Interviewed 2/14 :luck: [/QUO

i know it sucks, but waitlist is not a rejection! That's what i'll try to keep telling myself, at least, if i get waitlisted! Geez, i want to know my status already!!! this is killing me...

my friend got waitlisted at UCI last year, and got accepted a week before class...August! Dont give up, and congrats for not getting a rejection instead!

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm.. what's going on.. when i called they told me I wouldn't be getting anything in the mail anytime soon because they are only sending out rejection letters, but now people are getting waitlisted. Has anyone who interviewed 2/11 gotten a waitlist letter?

i interviewed on 11/29 and got waitlisted also. i wonder if they are going to send out rejections at all....but don't worry. they continue to rank people as they interview until april. also there are ONLY 24 seats. sigh. ive been waiting for over 3 months.... :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
xxbruinxx said:
hi...

can you say when you interviewed?

thx...

I interviewed on Dec. 2nd

Good luck!

OhtheSilliness said:
hmmm.. what's going on.. when i called they told me I wouldn't be getting anything in the mail anytime soon because they are only sending out rejection letters, but now people are getting waitlisted. Has anyone who interviewed 2/11 gotten a waitlist letter?

Just found out that im waitlisted...i interviewed Feb 11th...the letter says to notify them within 7 days if you want to be in this alternate list...wonder if they are trying to trim the number of applicants this way, so that those who are already accepted elsewhere would just decline the waitlist process...

now...the next phase of this game is getting off the waitlist and getting that darn acceptance!!! please post if you guys have news about this next step...good luck to all!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Semi confused here... I interviewed 2/11 and there is a batch of rejection letters or waitlist letters coming in or acceptance letters??? All 3 or just waitlists coming this week?

Can someone clarify.. I haven't gotten a call or any letters yet and I don't live in Cali so.... any clarifications would be greatly appreciated :)

Yipee! I'm still in the game. Went to the post office. It felt weird hoping not to get anything, and I didn't. So I'm guessing that I'm still on the Drew island.

Good luck to all who are waiting!

I too am confused. i also haven't received anything (yet), but i don't know how to interpret that...

I would hate to call since last time the lady (norma i believe) said that we wouldn't hear anything till after mar. 25th...

i guess i'll twiddle my thumbs till then

Met someone at my research lab today...she was waitlisted for Drew last year (or the year before)...didn't get in...she said they didnt let her know about not getting in until August...sigh...

for a class size of 24 (out of a geffen class size of 169 according to the msar), does anyone know how large the waitlist is?

(i just needed to get this out there somewhere...)

*sigh* i really like this program -- it's everything i'm all about. if i got into this school, there'd be so much i could learn. but then there's the question of why they would want me in return. i'm still going to my interview for sure! but it feels like it's *too late* especially with everyone already accepted (which, btw major congrats!). i don't have any big ideas on how to fix the system and help people in that way. and if i did, i'd be obligated to enter politics! this is nuts. i'm going to go into the interview thinking i'm crazy for even trying...

red dot said:

*sigh* i really like this program -- it's everything i'm all about. if i got into this school, there'd be so much i could learn. but then there's the question of why they would want me in return. i'm still going to my interview for sure! but it feels like it's *too late* especially with everyone already accepted (which, btw major congrats!). i don't have any big ideas on how to fix the system and help people in that way. and if i did, i'd be obligated to enter politics! this is nuts. i'm going to go into the interview thinking i'm crazy for even trying...

Heya red dot!! Good luck on your interview! I would say it is probably not too late - Drew was running a bit late this year, so there are likely a few spots left - plus there is always a little waitlist movement. Good luck~

Members don't see this ad :)
red dot said:

I know how you feel. Relax, all you can do is try your best. Make sure you stress what you said about the program during your interview. They want to know why you chose Drew and why they should take you vs. someone else. I wish this program was expanded to take more students. sigh... When are you interviewing?
Good luck!

Moto said:
I know how you feel. Relax, all you can do is try your best. Make sure you stress what you said about the program during your interview. They want to know why you chose Drew and why they should take you vs. someone else. I wish this program was expanded to take more students. sigh... When are you interviewing?
Good luck!

hey thanks moto and flop, my confidence has been stretched quite thin lately. i'm interviewing saturday afternoon on the 25th. so i guess even if nothing comes of it i have an excuse to visit some friends in la and be out on the weekend. yeah, this program should definitely be expanded -- imagine an army of students trained to the t to bring crappy health care up to par for poor people!

red dot said:
imagine an army of students trained to the t to bring crappy health care up to par for poor people!
Don't forget that the mission of drew is to improve care to the medically underserved, and that the term underserved is NOT equivalent with the term poor. Of course, the majority of the underserved are poor, but many are underserved due to racial, social, geographic, or other barriers to decent healthcare. Just a thought to help you get ready for your interview.

Congrats on your interview red dot! You have to go into EVERY interview as if this is your only shot (not sure if thats true in your case), so prepare well! I would definitely know exactly why you want to help the underserved (bring in your personal experience), and what you plan to do to help. There is no correct answer to this, but be prepared to defend any questions thrown at you. I am personally very into policy stuff, I recommend the book "understanding healthcare policy" published by Lange, its a phenomenal book! Don't say something like "I want to work in clinics for the underserved in the future" ONLY, that makes it seem like you do not have big picture about what it takes to solve the disparities in healthcare. They want to make sure that you understand that it is a multiple approach angle to solving/helping with the current situation, they want to make sure that you have thought a LOT about this subject and have the potential to be a leader for California's underserved! Make sure to be honest with your answers (as in have experiences related to your answers) anyone can shift through bs.

Make sure to be excited about your opportunity, ask a lot of thoughtful questions (not curriculum based, other insightful questions). I hope that helps somewhat.... Good luck!!!

aww... if you guys were here in person i'd hug you! thanks so much for your support. i have been reading up on stuff and thanks for the recommendation!

Hi guys...

well i made the call to the admissions office and to comfirm here...

we won't know until after march 25th... (i believe this is the last batch of interviewers??)

but from what norma said... I'm up for ranking (either acceptance/waitlist/rejection) and will not know for a while... so i don't know guys i guess i'm rejected or she was too nice to say anything to me :scared:

:luck: to the march 25th interviewers!!!!!!!!!! and :luck: to everyone else waiting!!!!!!!!

But for some weird reason guys I don't understand why some people who interviewed my date already got waitlist letters... can anyone explain this???

MDhopeful023 said:
Hi guys...

well i made the call to the admissions office and to comfirm here...

we won't know until after march 25th... (i believe this is the last batch of interviewers??)

but from what norma said... I'm up for ranking (either acceptance/waitlist/rejection) and will not know for a while... so i don't know guys i guess i'm rejected or she was too nice to say anything to me :scared:

:luck: to the march 25th interviewers!!!!!!!!!! and :luck: to everyone else waiting!!!!!!!!

But for some weird reason guys I don't understand why some people who interviewed my date already got waitlist letters... can anyone explain this???

what do you mean you're up for ranking? like up for review?

thx

xxbruinxx said:
what do you mean you're up for ranking? like up for review?

thx

Have no clue at all.. she said that I was up for ranking and she said that ranking comes with all acceptances/rejections/waitlists...

to me it sounds like a waitlist but then again I have no clue...

thanks for the number though :thumbup:

Has anybody seen the 2006 match list?

MDhopeful023 said:

I figured that perhaps we are potentially ok to be accepted/waitlisted, they want to compare us to that last batch. So, your potential acceptance could become a waitlist or vice versa? If it was a rejection, why wouldn't they let us know already. Or our rejection could become a waitlist?
I think I need to stop now, I'm overanalyzing.

Moto said:
I figured that perhaps we are potentially ok to be accepted/waitlisted, they want to compare us to that last batch. So, your potential acceptance could become a waitlist or vice versa? If it was a rejection, why wouldn't they let us know already. Or our rejection could become a waitlist?

I understand Moto... I don't get it... unless we are compared over and over again until we get waitlisted :laugh: it's like a carousel or something... well I hope everyone :luck: :luck: :luck: for the whole long haul of waiting :D

Moto said:

ack! the pressure! *runs screaming with head in hands*

Hey guys. I actually do research at Drew and my PI is a bigshot there. He gave me the match list for students in this program and its pretty impressive. From what i can remember, over 80% are staying in California and i believe 60% went into primary care. Most students ended up doing either OB/GYN, Internal Medicine, and Family Practice. I believe one went into Pediatrics. There was i believe one for opthamology, maybe two for surgery, two for anesthesiology, one for ER, and.......can't remember the rest. but everyone matched (all 23 students). maybe i'll go to work tomorrow and post up the results in detail.

btw this wait is KILLING ME. its even worse since i work there and i've been waitlisted. i think they will send out decisions after march 25 but i remember my PI telling me that one of his students got into the program the day BEFORE orientation so who knows?

red dot said:
ack! the pressure! *runs screaming with head in hands*

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm so glad I'm in school right now, if no that would leave me WAY too much time on my hands to think about this. :D

medhopeful724 said:
Hey guys. I actually do research at Drew and my PI is a bigshot there. He gave me the match list for students in this program and its pretty impressive. From what i can remember, over 80% are staying in California and i believe 60% went into primary care. Most students ended up doing either OB/GYN, Internal Medicine, and Family Practice. I believe one went into Pediatrics. There was i believe one for opthamology, maybe two for surgery, two for anesthesiology, one for ER, and.......can't remember the rest. but everyone matched (all 23 students). maybe i'll go to work tomorrow and post up the results in detail.

btw this wait is KILLING ME. its even worse since i work there and i've been waitlisted. i think they will send out decisions after march 25 but i remember my PI telling me that one of his students got into the program the day BEFORE orientation so who knows?

I hope you get in... it sounds like the process at Drew can be unpredictable... I still wonder what the formulas/statistics they use to determine a succesful med student lol... I just wonder... AHHHHHHHHHH! okay I'm too over analyzing it too just like red dot........

edited: sorry red dot i confused you with moto...

well, not quite.

i think i just got laryngitis. ****. i was sick a while ago and i thought i had been fine for about a week, and as of last night, i can barely speak. my interview is next week!

red dot said:
well, not quite.

i think i just got laryngitis. ****. i was sick a while ago and i thought i had been fine for about a week, and as of last night, i can barely speak. my interview is next week!

One of my buddies had a similar problem. He restrained from talking all week and during orientation and saved his voice for the actual interview session.

Fortunately his voice came back just in time, it was icky, but was adequate.

Hope you'll get yours back before that.

red dot said:
well, not quite.

I hope you get better!!!!!! :D

For some reason I thought you had an interview already... shoot my bad

Good luck though :luck: :luck: :luck:

MDhopeful023 said:
I hope you get better!!!!!! :D

For some reason I thought you had an interview already... shoot my bad

Good luck though :luck: :luck: :luck:

thanks. i keep telling myself to just suck it up. this blows. if i don't go i know i'll forever regret it. if i do go, i'm afraid they might think i'm reckless for being sick around other people (but i thought i was getting better so i shouldn't be contagious at all). plus i already bought non-refundable plane tickets. plus i can't call them because i can't quite speak. ****, this is a freak incident.

edit: and it's st patty's day!!!! i was going to go out for $2 guinness at 3pm and finish off with a few car bombs by midnight... :(

Some one told me that those that were interviewed Feb 11, were divided into two groups for review. The first group got responses already and the next group would be reviewed in the next coming weeks. They just grouped people randomly.

Has anybody from the first group (if the above poster is correct) received an acceptance yet?

Flopotomist said:
Has anybody from the first group (if the above poster is correct) received an acceptance yet?

yea, I think we can assume the people that already got acceptances were from the feb 11 group...but I would love to know if that is honestly what they have done....

According to my phone call with them they've been sending out batches of rejections, but I haven't heard of anyone getting rejected yet. Has anyone else? I hope the two group thing is true. That would explain how a few people have already been accepted and waitlisted from the Feb 11 group.

It made sense to me because when i called the office a week ago, i was told that the next group will be reviewed in the upcoming weeks and there would be rejections/waitlist/acceptance.

mimi2006 said:
It made sense to me because when i called the office a week ago, i was told that the next group will be reviewed in the upcoming weeks and there would be rejections/waitlist/acceptance.

if that's the case, then why do they want to wait after the March 25th group...still confused

well...

int. 2/11

rejected 3/18

xxbruinxx said:
well...

int. 2/11

rejected 3/18

xxbruinxx, I'm sorry to hear that :( , I interviewed 2/11 too, but I thought they were going to wait until after 25th to make a decision.

It sucks to like the school so much and its mission and get rejected. I hope that you will get in if you are not already holding an acceptance.

Anyone else from 2/11 bunch hear anything?

Edit: :barf:

xxbruinxx said:
well...

int. 2/11

rejected 3/18
xxbruin - I am sorry to hear that, it sucks to be rejected by one of your top picks.

xxbruinxx i am sorry to hear that. I interviewed on Feb 11. I called the office last week and was told they haven't reviewed my file yet. I want to hear back from them but don't want to hear bad news. Any one here that was in the afternoon group and haven't heard back from them?

xxbruinxx said:
well...

int. 2/11

rejected 3/18

Sorry xxbruinxx...

I don't know what to tell you... Well I know how it feels... (i've already been rejected post interview from Rush) and I felt "incompetent" BUT it's not true at all... Medical schools are so random on who they want and why... etc...

But anyways... if you ever need someone to talk to PM me...

Bump

Let the countdown begin :cool:

Moto said:
Bump

Let the countdown begin :cool:
Hmm.. so if they meet on the 25th... get letters out on the 28th.. two days in transit... the 30th?? That would be perfect, I am having a go-kart racing party on the 1st. Yikes.. what if the letter comes on April fool's day?

Flopotomist said:
what if the letter comes on April fool's day?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That would be hilarious.

Flopotomist said:
Hmm.. so if they meet on the 25th... get letters out on the 28th.. two days in transit... the 30th?? That would be perfect, I am having a go-kart racing party on the 1st. Yikes.. what if the letter comes on April fool's day?

The acceptance letter to my undergrad school came on April Fools. Aren't we hoping for a call though? So that should come earlier.

OhtheSilliness said:
The acceptance letter to my undergrad school came on April Fools. Aren't we hoping for a call though? So that should come earlier.
Yeah, I would think UCLA/Drew would call like they have been doing...Good luck! I hope you guys hear back this week!

UCLA/Drew Match 2006 Results:

UC Irvine Medical Center: Medicine-Preliminary, NY Eye and Ear Infirmary: Opthalmology
White Mem Med Ctr-LA: Family Practice
UCLA Medical Center: Anesthesiology
Kaiser Permanente-LA: Ob/Gyn
Denver Health Med Ctr-CO: EM
Brigham & Womens Hosp: Medicine-Primary/BWH
USC: Otolaryngology
Harbor-UCLA Med: Ob/Gyn
Harbor-UCLA Med: Internal Medicine
Harbor-UCLA Med: Psychiatry
USC: Internal Medicine
White Mem Med Ctr-LA: Internal Medicine
St. Lukes-PA: General Surgery