Charles R Drew

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimi2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that has interviewed at Charles R. Do you know how long it takes before u hear back from them?

Members don't see this ad.

mimi2006 said:
Is there anyone out there that has interviewed at Charles R. Do you know how long it takes before u hear back from them?

Good question - I interview there in two weeks - any tips/hints/words of encouragement?

I just interviewed there. They said anywhere from 30-60 days. This is because after the adcom at drew makes their decision, they have to send it to ucla for it to be approved. The interview day was very laid back and informative. They interview less than 1 percent of the applicants, so getting an interview from them is a big deal. The interview is mainly for them to get to know you, not grill you, so relax and just be yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed the first week of Dec. and haven't heard back from them :confused: ... It's been two months, but that's counting winter break

OhtheSilliness said:
I just interviewed there. They said anywhere from 30-60 days. This is because after the adcom at drew makes their decision, they have to send it to ucla for it to be approved. The interview day was very laid back and informative. They interview less than 1 percent of the applicants, so getting an interview from them is a big deal. The interview is mainly for them to get to know you, not grill you, so relax and just be yourself.
I wonder - upon what basis does UCLA make the decision as to whether or not to veto Drew's decision?

Also - you said they interview less than 1% of applicants - but the website says there are 2,000 applicants, which would mean they only interview 20 people for 24 slots? Hmm....

Flopotomist said:
I wonder - upon what basis does UCLA make the decision as to whether or not to veto Drew's decision?

Also - you said they interview less than 1% of applicants - but the website says there are 2,000 applicants, which would mean they only interview 20 people for 24 slots? Hmm....

Yeah, I think it's more like 5 %, so they have 2000 applicants, interview 120 and accept 24. Regarding UCLA, it seemed like they just rank the interviewees based on interviewer scores, MCAT, GPA, etc. Then Drew takes some from the top for acceptance, some from the bottom for rejection and waitlists everyone else. Good luck to everyone interviewing there! It's a really easy, comfortable interview :)

The original email I received stated I would get an interview in 15-20 business days. Friday, 2/10/06, was the 20th business day. I sent an email to the address that they sent the invite from asking them about my date.

Tomorrow I would like to call the school and ask them specifically about my interview date. I want to call Drew to ask but all I have is a general number that is given on their website. Does anyone have a specific number to their admissions office or number that would be more appropriate to call to ask this question? Or is it fine to call that general number?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Flopotomist said:

sorry... i had heard someone say it... and didn't really think about the math myself before posting it ... they interview about 120 of the 2000... maybe the person had meant less than 10 percent

any of you guys out there who got offered acceptances at drew yet? and those who were interviewed, how was the interview with the faculty member? do you feel like they asked enough questions? do you feel like you really got to say what you wanted to say? also, what does UCLA actually look at? only the score reports or a composite of the interview or the whole application packet??? any thoughts?

I loved Drew! I was truely impressed by the diversity of the interviewees and interviewers... My student interviewer was really friendly and it was kicked back.. The same goes for the faculty interviewer... They really take their time to review the file and really get to know you prior to interviewing you... I noticed my faculty interviewer had 3 pages of notes about me (she was flipping the notes she had and she asked me about specifics and what she would like to delve into)... Also I know that they pick students who will continue/understand/willing to work in underserved populations... make sure that you make it clear to them that you are that person... make sure you have specifics where you did this volunteer activity and what you learned and what you are passionate about...

It was weird.. but I even had tears in my eyes being completely passionate about things in my life that drove me to pursue a career in medicine... completely inappropriate but the student interviewer was so understanding that I completely recovered and was able to share more of myself...

But anyways my best advice is to be yourself and make sure that you know what DREW is about... Don't think that it is for a seat for UCLA but for something extremely unique that has it's roots for the people in the Watts district and other populations that are in need of awesome doctors...

kdnysux said:
any of you guys out there who got offered acceptances at drew yet? and those who were interviewed, how was the interview with the faculty member? do you feel like they asked enough questions? do you feel like you really got to say what you wanted to say? also, what does UCLA actually look at? only the score reports or a composite of the interview or the whole application packet??? any thoughts?

Yes, I was accepted about a month ago. It took about a month to get a post-interview decision...I am unsure whether it takes others more time. Has anyone else been accepted?

Its a very standard interview (open file). I was the only interviewee at the time, but I think there may have been others that came in that same day. I had only one interviewer and lunch with students. Everyone was really really nice to me and answered all my questions. It was awesome that one of the students gave me an unofficial tour of King/Drew Hospital. As has been stressed before, Drew is all about wanting to gain your clinical experiences with the underserved. You want to go out and help the underserved, and not as in setting up free clinics but having a broader aspect of the healthcare system to do make a larger impact. They want leaders to help the underserved.

UCLA Geffen I would expect to be a lot like other top schools, as in they are looking for physician leaders (both in clinical and basic science research). They look at everything and are not a 100% numbers based, but that is a way that they screen people out (just as not having enough volunteer/clinical/research experience). I am just assuming a lot of this info, I would definitely ask "UCLAstudent" our awesome UCLA Geffen ambassador for more info. The hospitals that you train at are very different than Drew, there is a variety of socioeconomic/location differences of the populations served.

Good luck!

congratulations, elastase! you must be relieved to have an acceptance under you belt...i havent heard if any one else got an offer...im quite anxious to get a letter from drew...they've done everything else thru email....also, ive associated any snail mail as rejection...i know that's not always the case for everyone else...but it is to me...

MDhopeful023, i know what you mean...i had to hold back my tears during my interview as well...i got close to tears, but luckily i didnt quite loose it completely...it was nice to be surrounded with people with the same passion for the underserved...however, my boss cant stop bashing drew...he's a prof of med at UCLA, and he said that drew univ is a joke...he said the only reason why they get research grants is bec they play on the minority angle, and that they wouldnt get grants if based solely on merit. he even said that when one of the fellowships at drew closed, they came to the our county hospital (which, i was told during my interview, is also one of the hospitals where drew students are rotating now) asking to transfer the fellows there...the chief of medicine declined. it sucks that i have to hear this at work at least twice now...he's been bashing drew since he found out about my interview there...i dont care, there's no where else id rather go...drew fits my professional and personal goals...the students and faculty seem to be one big happy family....now, i just have to get in first :p

Thank you, I had a great time at Drew!

As for Drew bashing, I haven't really gotten that directly, but I have gotten some "don't go there"s. They are definitely working on improving how the hospital runs, and the people/community are very committed. I am constantly defending Drew as a great institution that IS producing doctors for the underserved.

Good luck everyone! I hope you all hear good news soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Elastase - congratulations!!! I have my interview there next week - going to get my haircut tomorrow, so excited - I hope to see you in class!

Good luck on your interview! Make sure to check out the hospital the day of!

Sorry if I made anyone cry during their interview.

Long Dong said:

Uhoh.. I didn't know that an interviewer was on here! I would have put on my supersquirrel cape on my avatar! Hmmm... but I will bring tissue in case my interviewer makes me cry (or in case I have to blow my nose).

OMG... I believe that my interviewer just posted! YIKES did I just blow my cover :scared:

This is just crazy... oh well at least you know that it is a small world even on the web :eek:

OH YA congrats Flopotomist :thumbup: on your acceptance...

Long Dong said:

hey r u the one who said youll be doing nephro research??? i swear, I was racking my brain during the panel, and I was sure ive seen u before...that was like a couple of weeks ago at the lab, but i havent seen you since...i work there...the profs there are the big wigs of nephrology...if you are really interested in nephro and want to secure a very good fellowship, you'll be in the right path with these people...which PI are you planning to work with???

quick question...how much weight do u guys put in MS interview vs the faculty??? i think I did much better with the med student...just curious...hope to see you at Drew or at the lab or at your surgery rotation...later

MDhopeful023 said:
OH YA congrats Flopotomist :thumbup: on your acceptance...

Thanks for the congratulations - but I don't have an acceptance, just an interview. I would love to turn it into an acceptance though, but don't want to jinx it. I can't wait until Tuesday so I can go interview... will anybody else be interviewing there on the same day?

AAAARGH!!! So I went to go get a haircut so I wouldn't look like Shaggy from Scooby doo during my interview, and I think Helen Keller cut my hair - while wearing mittens. I have a big PATCH of hair missing on the side WTF??? OK.. can't let this ruin my confidence - but now I am going to have to go get it cut even SHORTER. Booooo. I don't want to look like some military recruit, but **sigh**... Hmm.. not sure why I am posting this, but it feels good to vent.

Flopotomist said:
AAAARGH!!! So I went to go get a haircut so I wouldn't look like Shaggy from Scooby doo during my interview, and I think Helen Keller cut my hair - while wearing mittens. I have a big PATCH of hair missing on the side WTF??? OK.. can't let this ruin my confidence - but now I am going to have to go get it cut even SHORTER. Booooo. I don't want to look like some military recruit, but **sigh**... Hmm.. not sure why I am posting this, but it feels good to vent.

sorry about mistaking that you got an acceptance... well i hope you do though... I bet you still look good with a shorter hair style :D regardless...

hey

i interviewed 2/11/06....so it takes about 4 weeks for a decision?

is there anything i can do in the interim to help my chances?

follow up phone calls, etc

thanx

I think it varies like all the UCs on how quickly they get back to you. For example Davis in one interview pool got back to those applicants within a 3 month range. UCLA Geffen is currently almost a non-rolling school (they interviewed ppl back since late sept and haven't sent our final decisions yet).

Its important if the school is your top choice to send a letter of intent, I would think that might help. They want someone that will attend for sure not someone that will just hold a place.

They are fully evaluating if you are a great fit for their school, that you will contribute and dedicate yourself to the underserved, etc. At this point, after the interview, I don't think there is much you can do besides a letter or intent (or maybe an update letter if its signficant, especially with your community or leadership involvements) before they make a final decision. I personally try to send thank you notes, but I think statistic-wise it doesn't increase acceptance rates (it doesn't make sense that it would).

Also, like most schools, there WILL be waitlist movement much later in the year. Continued (but not annoyingly) interest is good thing.

Good luck everyone!!! :thumbup:

xxbruinxx said:
hey

i interviewed 2/11/06....so it takes about 4 weeks for a decision?

is there anything i can do in the interim to help my chances?

follow up phone calls, etc

thanx

i interviewed the same day u did... they said anywhere from 30-60 days

Hello everyone! I have an interview next Monday, 2/27. I have a few questions about it. I would appreciate any feedback.

1) I have never been to Charles Drew before. My friend told me that area is pretty unsafe. She seemed worried about it. How is it in the morning? Is it far from the freeway? As a single woman, will I be fine driving around the area?

2) Where do you park your car? Is it free? Is the lot secure? Is it far from the interview building?

3) On the email they gave me an address of the Cobb building. Do I go to the admissions office when I get there? If not, where?

4) Finally, did any of you go on a tour of UCLA the same day? If so, at what time? how long was it? How did you get there?

I am not from California and I am apprehensive about the interview. I emailed Drew admissions with some of these same questions but I have not gotten a response yet.

Thanks for any info you may provide. ;)

ewhitmore said:
Hello everyone! I have an interview next Monday, 2/27. I have a few questions about it. I would appreciate any feedback.

1) I have never been to Charles Drew before. My friend told me that area is pretty unsafe. She seemed worried about it. How is it in the morning? Is it far from the freeway? As a single woman, will I be fine driving around the area?

2) Where do you park your car? Is it free? Is the lot secure? Is it far from the interview building?

3) On the email they gave me an address of the Cobb building. Do I go to the admissions office when I get there? If not, where?

4) Finally, did any of you go on a tour of UCLA the same day? If so, at what time? how long was it? How did you get there?

I am not from California and I am apprehensive about the interview. I emailed Drew admissions with some of these same questions but I have not gotten a response yet.

Thanks for any info you may provide. ;)

1. it's not too bad...you just have to be smart..that early in the morning, i don't personally feel there's too much to be worried about. In terms of driving, where are you coming from? straight from LAX? I think as long as your directions are good, you'll be fine. just be sure to leave early so as to leave room for the unexpected

2. there's a parking lot directly in front of the Cobb building. you can park there and wait (if you arrive early) until the main doors open. Parking is free. it isn't a secured (gated) lot, so maybe put a club on and make sure windows are rolled up before leaving.

3. I forget what time the day begins, but there's no office to go to persay. if you get there early, they'll seat you in the lobby/lounge area (just a bunch of couches) or possibly in an adjacent conference room. when they're ready, there will be a sign-in table next to the main door (cobb entrance) for you to sign in and collect name tag. after, they'll direct you upstairs to a larger conference room where you'll have some breakfast (bagels, fruit, and such). This is pretty much the main room where you'll have some talks, get called out for interviews, etc.

4. i don't believe the arrange ucla tours. what they recommend you do is call the admin. office at ucla directly, and since they are conduction interviews/tours as well, arrange a time where you can just join one of the tour groups on a particular interview day.

let me know if you have any ??'s....

Yeah, its known as a notorious area. I went to the nearby Starbucks (in a shopping center), which reminded me of other poor/underserved areas I have been/lived in before. Its not like your interview is at night, its in the morning time. You should be fine, its straight off that freeway (I can't remember which one now).

The parking lot is directly across from the building where you interview, very easy and there was a lot of spots left.

Admissions office, easy once you enter the building, its on the first floor.

I didn't get that opportunity but I have heard that you can. I'm not sure how far away it is.

Don't be apprehensive! Its UCLA! and its in a underserved community! They wouldn't have selected you for an interview if you didn't have a strong interest in getting involved with helping the underserved.

embarrasing double and late post...my first ever (I think)..my bad

Flop:

How did your Drew interview go?

Elastase said:
Flop:

How did your Drew interview go?

I think my interview went OK, but not great. I think I may have been a bit too nervous to present myself as well as I would have liked.

I hope I did well enough to get in. This waiting is going to be painful. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy traffic is. I have heard such nightmares about LA traffic, but it was super easy to get to Drew. If I get in, I will look forward to meeting you!

Flopotomist said:
I think my interview went OK, but not great. I think I may have been a bit too nervous to present myself as well as I would have liked.

I hope I did well enough to get in. This waiting is going to be painful. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy traffic is. I have heard such nightmares about LA traffic, but it was super easy to get to Drew. If I get in, I will look forward to meeting you!

Yeah, I understand the nervousness...sometimes it just creeps up when you least expect it. How did you like mlk/drew? Did you get a chance to visit the UCLA campus? Good luck!

Elastase said:
Yeah, I understand the nervousness...sometimes it just creeps up when you least expect it. How did you like mlk/drew? Did you get a chance to visit the UCLA campus? Good luck!

I did not have a chance to visit the UCLA campus itself unfortunately. I loved Drew - their mission really "fits" with what I want to do, and have been doing for the last 6+ years (non-trad here). How long did it take you to hear back after your interview? Was it by mail, telephone, or e-mail?

Flopotomist said:
I hope I did well enough to get in.

Me too! I hope I'm in. :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

hey everyone!
i actually interviewed in late November and still haven't heard back from Drew yet. I called them the other day and they told me that they are ranking the candidates so i'll hear from them in the next two weeks. i don't know how someone already got accepted unless it is a special case. i heard that they have get their acceptances approved by UCLA before they can send out acceptance letters. i actually work at Drew so hopefully i got the right information. good luck everyone

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=4793

medhopeful724 said:
hey everyone!
i actually interviewed in late November and still haven't heard back from Drew yet. I called them the other day and they told me that they are ranking the candidates so i'll hear from them in the next two weeks. i don't know how someone already got accepted unless it is a special case. i heard that they have get their acceptances approved by UCLA before they can send out acceptance letters. i actually work at Drew so hopefully i got the right information. good luck everyone

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=4793

I remember from the interview something about e-mail w/ a decision 3 weeks after an interview time frame. Anyone?

I think I might have posted this before....but here goes:

I interviewed in late November, and received word via phone call followed by snail mail around 3-4 weeks later. My interview was very early in their process, and I didn't have any presentations during my interview...it was just a one on one interview w/faculty, lunch with students, and a quick but cool tour. I might have slipped through that ranked list... I was VERY surprised to hear back so quickly.

:luck: Good luck everyone! :thumbup:

I found an acceptance 2/27 to Drew, anyone else accepted recently? If so, when was your interview?

-fingernail-biting Moto

If you don't mind, when did you interview at drew and did they call you for the acceptance

mimi2006 said:
If you don't mind, when did you interview at drew and did they call you for the acceptance

Edit: I'm a *******. :p Ssorry for any confusion and/or excitement: I found on mdapplicants.com an acceptance that someone received today. Same question as above. Was wondering if any one else heard from Drew.

Sorry i misunderstood you.

Hey guys... I got in... received call yesterday... interviewed on Sat the 18th of February.

I was called in for an interview the day before, on the 17th... I didn't receive an email to come in for an interview

ocguy said:
Hey guys... I got in... received call yesterday... interviewed on Sat the 18th of February.

I was called in for an interview the day before, on the 17th... I didn't receive an email to come in for an interview

Oops i mean the 11th and was called in on the 10th. I had a two week turnaround time.

ocguy said:
Oops i mean the 11th and was called in on the 10th. I had a two week turnaround time.

Nice! Congrats! UCLA/Drew your first choice?

ocguy said:

Wow - they called you in for an interview? They just e-mailed me. Did anybody else get a phone call?

Flopotomist said:
Wow - they called you in for an interview? They just e-mailed me. Did anybody else get a phone call?

So.....I wonder if the turn around is roughly 2-3 weeks, and they either e-mail or call to let you know if you're in. How do they let you know if you're rejected? Is it still a phone call or e-mail, or is it snail mail.

I so-o-o-o-o-o want to get in to Drew.
:luck:
Moto

I was just interviewed yesterday and they said we would not find out until April, probably mid April. I really enjoyed it and would love to go as well.

For those of you who have gotten in, is there any set date when you have to accept or reject? Also, does anyone know anything about their waitlist? How many do they put on? how many get taken off and offered an acceptance?
Have you heard of them accepting more applicants that have applied numerous times before? or does it even matter?

You can PM me if you don't want to post this on the board.

Thanks ...... ;)

ewhitmore said:
I was just interviewed yesterday and they said we would not find out until April, probably mid April. I really enjoyed it and would love to go as well.

For those of you who have gotten in, is there any set date when you have to accept or reject? Also, does anyone know anything about their waitlist? How many do they put on? how many get taken off and offered an acceptance?
Have you heard of them accepting more applicants that have applied numerous times before? or does it even matter?

You can PM me if you don't want to post this on the board.

Thanks ...... ;)

Congratulations on the interview! They told me that after receiving the acceptance letter, you have five days to give them a response. I think I also remembering them saying that last year they accepted 30+ people for the 24 spots. Not too sure how movement is on the waitlist. Good luck, hope you get your acceptance!!! :)

Royita, did you get accepted also? Congrats if you did!