CHarting from home ..taking over my life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Questions from a pre-med: To the responders:
1) Do you guys bring home any work?
2) Do you guys stay in the office past closing time?
3) How long have you been practicing FM?

1. usually not
2. 0.5-2 hours
3. 19 months post residency

Also, don't forget about timeslicing -- meaning run 3 rooms simultaneously --- Por ejemplo -- yesterday I had what turned out to be a 99205 -- DM, bad feet bilaterally, HTN, ED, wheelchair bound, s/p cataracts with new onset aFib --- while I'm cooking labs (A1C, fingerstick glucose) and an EKG after auscultation findings prompted it, my MA had roomed my next visit which was a quickie URI r/o flu which I dumped in 10 minutes, popped back in with my first room to discuss management and AMA (their choice) and while stepping out to arrange that paperwork, my next DM f/u was ready -- labs were already done, shoes off so in we went -- by the time I was done there, first visit was ready to go, had my witness for AMA paperwork, got that done and cleared the room....I left the 99205 for last in terms of getting notes done.

This was me for years at my traditional small group practice. Taking charts home to dictate. Eventually I got us all on digital recorders and was usually dictating the chart in front of the patient so it was done at the end of the appointment. That was a brief window of success before we went to EMRs and I started finishing notes at home again, this time online. I've tinkered with text macros, templates and several versions of Dragon with mixed success.
After three years of start up with lots of new, complicated patients and moonlighting jobs, I'm finally getting back to getting today's work done today with fewer patients per day thanks to lower overhead with direct primary care. I won't miss having that documentation and other work hanging over me all the time.

Reactions: 1 user