Charting the outcomes 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiedyeddog

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does a new Charting the Outcomes come out this year? The last one was published in august of 2011 and it is on a two year cycle if I remember right.

So should the next one be out this august? Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

Published biennially, so most likely yes. 2009 was published in August as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the deans at my school said that there wouldn't be a new one this year because the data was so similar to the 2011 version. Not sure if that's true or not, or how the dean would know that info, but that's what I was told.

One of the deans at my school said that there wouldn't be a new one this year because the data was so similar to the 2011 version. Not sure if that's true or not, or how the dean would know that info, but that's what I was told.

Yeah I doubt that's true. They'd still publish one even if all the data were the same. At the very least I'm expecting some metrics/statistics that weren't included in the last report.

I've heard the same from the Assistant Dean at my school.

Apparently there will not be a new one because ERAS and NRMP split up this year. Somewhere in that divorce process, data sharing between the two became more difficult and they weren't able to get it out this year. At least that's what our dean told is.

Yeah I have heard that the usmle scores did not transfer or something

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I emailed the NRMP and got this response.

Mr. X,

It is very unlikely that there is a Charting Outcomes in the Match report for the year 2013. At this point the NBME has not agreed to release to the NRMP their USMLE scores, which is an integral part of the report. The NRMP is working on obtaining the scores for the 2014 Match, however. So hopefully we can publish the report again next year.

That sucks. I loved going through their data.

Mr. X,

It is very unlikely that there is a Charting Outcomes in the Match report for the year 2013. At this point the NBME has not agreed to release to the NRMP their USMLE scores, which is an integral part of the report. The NRMP is working on obtaining the scores for the 2014 Match, however. So hopefully we can publish the report again next year.

Well, ****. I was looking forward to the updated data :(
Thanks for sharing

Mr. X,

:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Bummer, EM has gotten more competitive over the last few years so I am pretty sure that the numbers would have gone up in that field. It would have been nice to know for planning the number of schools to apply to. Advisers do help but stats are useful as well for the paranoid :scared:

Why is the NBME being such babies? Why won't the release the scores so students have a better idea on their likelihood of matching. It's not like they are dealing with people's careers or anything.
'

Why is the NBME being such babies? Why won't the release the scores so students have a better idea on their likelihood of matching. It's not like they are dealing with people's careers or anything.
'

If KTD's post below is true, the release doesn't seem that simple.

Apparently there will not be a new one because ERAS and NRMP split up this year. Somewhere in that divorce process, data sharing between the two became more difficult and they weren't able to get it out this year. At least that's what our dean told is.

If KTD's post below is true, the release doesn't seem that simple.

It still sounds relatively simple. Just like a real divorce, the parents are fighting but the kids are the ones who really suffer.

It looks like they're not gonna release a 2013 version per a recent question and response on the NRMP's Facebook page. Sucks, I love perusing the 2011 version.

apparently there will not be a new one because eras and nrmp split up this year. Somewhere in that divorce process, data sharing between the two became more difficult and they weren't able to get it out this year. At least that's what our dean told is.

this is definitely not cool!!!!!!

I have no idea why we stand for this as medical students, residency programs, and faculty.

This process needs to be transparent.

Can anyone explain to me the actual match algorithm? Yes, I understand the if A ranks B 1 and B ranks A 1 they describe. How many iterations do they run? Are they all the same? Why does it take several weeks?

Why does it cost so much? Certainly, we could devise a free, open-source application process. Someone is, likely many people are, making their living off of this process and, frankly, their customer support is horrible.

I have no idea why we stand for this as medical students, residency programs, and faculty.

This process needs to be transparent.

Can anyone explain to me the actual match algorithm? Yes, I understand the if A ranks B 1 and B ranks A 1 they describe. How many iterations do they run? Are they all the same? Why does it take several weeks?

Why does it cost so much? Certainly, we could devise a free, open-source application process. Someone is, likely many people are, making their living off of this process and, frankly, their customer support is horrible.

There is an actual link explaining the algorithm on their website.